Wakeham??

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
From what I watched Lewis is a far better option
But his injured and JMK and Brown is as well so who joins it’s either him or Meaney and Okunbor is back on his wing

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He looks like his an explosive player but when I saw him today I was worried about how small he was.
Makes JT (2004) look like Arnold.
That's how small Thurston was from memory. When he came onto the field i was showing my 11yr old boy and said look, he is the same size as you. Haha
But that actually gives young kids more confidence seeing a kid his size make the grade.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
And another thing in attack liccha kept going to Cogger over giving Wakeham the ball I like how he was giving the ball early to CHN a couple of times hopefully be gets more confident when he gets more game time he certainly could be our long term half going into the future
I noticed that and i will bet u a million dollars thats the instructions he got from Pay, was so frustrating...

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Lewis is our next gun. Wakeham will be good also I believe, but I say it with certainty that Lewis is the future of this team.
Yeah..... Nah..

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
896D0C35-7138-4C6A-9099-D34457A135FD.jpeg
He looks like his an explosive player but when I saw him today I was worried about how small he was.
Makes JT (2004) look like Arnold.
Are you referring to the midget out of different strokes

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He isn't ready for week in week out footy in the NRL, too green. Most teams would target him and run all over him. He is only 77kg's ringing wet. He needs to hit the gym and put on 5-10kg's. The ball boy was bigger than him. Let's get serious here, he isn't ready and won't be for a couple years. Seems to have a footy brain.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
He isn't ready for week in week out footy in the NRL, too green. Most teams would target him and run all over him. He is only 77kg's ringing wet. He needs to hit the gym and put on 5-10kg's. The ball boy was bigger than him. Let's get serious here, he isn't ready and won't be for a couple years. Seems to have a footy brain.
But if we use him like we did Thurston, off the bench, to add spark (ala 2002/3), he will get used to the speed of first grade, and potentially bring his game to the next level. Just need to do things like 2 weeks off the bench, and then 2 games back in Canterbury Cup to show what he has learnt. You really saw Thurston in that 2003 season grow another leg with those appearances the previous year really paying off. Things just slowed down for him.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Played good for Fiji but I don't watch much of the lower grades.

Hopefully Pay doesn't destroy his confidence by using him the wrong way or too early.
Who would you play in the halves with Cogger if Lewis, Foran and Brown are still all injured in 2 weeks? I don't think Pay's got much choice but to use Wakeham if that's the case. Maybe Hoppa to 5/8?

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
All he needs is time. Some really positive signs there in Wakeham but I still think Lewis deserves another shot at first grade.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Based on seeing Wakeham play through HM and SGB and some Flegg he has a very good kicking game and passing game - and annoys the opposition into mistakes. Very good decision maker. Needs to develop his running game. As others have said physically he needs to develop to cope with the power of first grade players.. Most natural half we have had for awhile.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But if we use him like we did Thurston, off the bench, to add spark (ala 2002/3), he will get used to the speed of first grade, and potentially bring his game to the next level. Just need to do things like 2 weeks off the bench, and then 2 games back in Canterbury Cup to show what he has learnt. You really saw Thurston in that 2003 season grow another leg with those appearances the previous year really paying off. Things just slowed down for him.
Your right about using him that way and experience could only be a good thing but you have to question his training regime. Now, he has been playing with us since 2017 and is signed til 2020. Surely in that time the training staff even over the past year could have worked on him to bulk him up! In an off season a player can put on at least 5 kilos of muscle under a good strengthening coach and dietitian. I don't understand in this modern game with all the science and technology that a player could even take the field as light as him.

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Your right about using him that way and experience could only he a good thing but you have to question his training regime. Now, he has been playing with us since 2017 and is signed til 2020. Surely in that time the training staff even over the past year could have worked on him to bulk him up! In an off season a player can put on at least 5 kilos of muscle under a good strengthening coach and dietitian. I don't understand in this modern game with all the science and technology that a player could even take the field as light as him.
I'm not sure your right. You get the player to focus on skills etc, and the weight will come. But it's far better to get that confidence around the field first. Plenty of guys like Thurston, Preston Campbell, jamie soward who were very small when they started. Some bulked up but not by that much. The key was that they were introduced to first grade slowly.

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah noticed his bullet like passing very good technique, also his high ball wasn’t to bad .
He can teach Lichaa how to pass oh hold on no one can

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everyone that keeps saying hes not ready need to wake up he performed well in the test but everyone crapped on its only against levanon but it was a test and he killed it and in his debut even in defence despite his size he had a crack and even cause a couple of dropped balls ,im a big fan of the kid and love his kicking game he is so calm and throws nice passes

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't think Wakeham is quite ready yet. He is definitely our long term option (don't see Cogger and Foran sticking around for too long).

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everyone that keeps saying hes not ready need to wake up he performed well in the test but everyone crapped on its only against levanon but it was a test and he killed it and in his debut even in defence despite his size he had a crack and even cause a couple of dropped balls ,im a big fan of the kid and love his kicking game he is so calm and throws nice passes
He did great for his debut under the circumstances but he isn't ready for regular NRL just yet. The kid still qualifies for Flegg there's no need to rush him.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He did great for his debut under the circumstances but he isn't ready for regular NRL just yet. The kid still qualifies for Flegg there's no need to rush him.
I get that but this is the perfect year to blood him ,off the bench whilst foran is fit but i just think he will surprise you