Video Rental Stores

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
The last of the video rental kiosks was shutdown recently.

I'm not sure who thought that it could've possibly lasted given that you can watch whatever you want when you want on streaming services these days.

Don't get me wrong, A for effort, but there is no way a vending machine compares to walking into a popcorn-scented store and browsing the aisles looking for a video, buying a pizza on the way home, and enjoying the film with pizza and/or popcorn.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Georges hall shops were great back in the 80s and 90s.
You would order food from the takeaway and go pick videos to hire next door at civic video.

Greenacre was good for video hire.
I would hire movies from civic video, video ezy and that Lebo moxed business on Noble ave/Greenacre Rd.

Speaking of Greenacre.
I won't go into too much detail, the one time around the public toilets behind video ezy.
My dad made a ballsy move and harked up at a group of 15 or more Arab youths who were trying to force 2 young girls into the toilets!

I'm pretty certain my dad prevented a serious crime from taking place that day?

1990's Greenacre was a jungle!

Greenmachine121

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You would order food from the takeaway and go pick videos to hire next door at civic video.

I would hire movies from civic video, video ezy and that Lebo moxed business on Noble ave/Greenacre Rd.

Speaking of Greenacre.
I won't go into too much detail, the one time around the public toilets behind video ezy.
My dad made a ballsy move and harked up at a group of 15 or more Arab youths who were trying to force 2 young girls into the toilets!

Sounds like an early Skaff bros attempt

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Sounds like an early Skaff bros attempt
They were very close. If we weren't there at that precise moment those girls were finished!

It was very brave on my dads part. I was only 10 or 11 and my brother 3 years younger.
Wasn't much we could do to help?

All 3 of us saw what was happening.
I was pretty scared too but these guys were cowards and started to scramble once my dad harked up and didn't take a step backwards!

Scary thing is, some if these guys have probably grown up, got married and started families of their own?

Good thing this is an evil world that dishes out karma.

Same as those gangs in the early to mid 90's who used to go around robbing guys for their mobile phones at knife point.

I really do hope some of those guys had kids of their own and get their lives threatened!

It's only fair in my books.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I remember the 10 weeklies or 3 new release for $10
Really? That must've been more recent when the video shops were starting to decline and get desperate. I remember when it was $6 overnight for a new release, then it went up to $7.20.

Wahesh

Reaction score

Speaking of Greenacre.

I went to George's Hall on the weekend. There's a cafe there now called Wild Child - OFF.THE.HOOK. Damn it was awesome. You should check it out sometime.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I went to George's Hall on the weekend. There's a cafe there now called Wild Child - OFF.THE.HOOK. Damn it was awesome. You should check it out sometime.
is it the cafe across the road from where civic video was?
I think there’s 3 cafes there?
Bankstown has lots of good cafes it’s hard to choose which one is best?

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Really? That must've been more recent when the video shops were starting to decline and get desperate. I remember when it was $6 overnight for a new release, then it went up to $7.20.
Our local did specials for 3 overnight new release $10, bargain... 30 plus years ago

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still have Tony hawk pro skater 2 I borrowed from local video ezy first day it came out.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Our local did specials for 3 overnight new release $10, bargain... 30 plus years ago
Fair enough. Yes that would've been a bargain back then. Would have been hard for me to watch 3 videos overnight, but over 2 days should be ok.

Last edited:

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I once went to gold cost for a holiday. We borrowed a game or two from the video shop. Returned them and didn’t think anything of it.

About a year or two later I get a letter asking to pay $1700 in borrow charges.. I called them up and they said I didn’t return it. I told them the game costs $50, do you think I’m going to pay $1700?? They eventually stopped nagging me. Bastards tried to do a dodgy on me

Wahesh

Reaction score
is it the cafe across the road from where civic video was?
I think there’s 3 cafes there?
Bankstown has lots of good cafes it’s hard to choose which one is best?
I'm not really sure as I didn't go there when Civic was around, but it was on Haig Ave near Georges Cres intersection - does that sound right to you?

Wahesh

Reaction score
I once went to gold cost for a holiday. We borrowed a game or two from the video shop. Returned them and didn’t think anything of it.

About a year or two later I get a letter asking to pay $1700 in borrow charges.. I called them up and they said I didn’t return it. I told them the game costs $50, do you think I’m going to pay $1700?? They eventually stopped nagging me. Bastards tried to do a dodgy on me
They have no authority on you so they can't do anything. Just like receiving fines from Woolworths for parking in their car park without a ticket (yes there are some, such as Campsie).

What was the final outcome?