Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
NRL set for mid-season trial of video referee bunker system

From the Herald: "The NRL is set to trial an NHL-style video referee bunker midway through the season to determine whether it produces better and faster decisions.

NRL head of football Todd Greenberg said the video referees would operate from a central command centre with access to every available camera angle, but the current video refereeing system would remain in use for the selected games and to provide a genuine comparison".

To me this sounds like an admission that the video referees have reached their lowest level of incompetence and Greenberg will try anything to put a bandaid on it.

Its simple: Just use referees without impaired vision who have a reasonable level of common sense. I think Aiden Tolman pointed this out to referee Matt Ceccin when his no try decision was incorrextly overruled by the video refere.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I've heard of this plan before, but I don't get it, why is the result going to be better if the video ref is not at the ground? what I'm I missing?

Seems to me this plan won't hurt anything, I'm just not clear on how it helps?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The head of centrebet has asked that they have better access to the video referees on game day, so they have kindly offered them the use of some central facilities.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
With 2 lines men, 2 refs and up to 3 in the video box, it's just a matter of simplifying. Moving it to a central unit won't do crap beside cost the game lots of money.

The solution is a simple one. Have a tv on the side line. Near each dead ball line wired up to the production team. Get the angles. Slow it down, watch what you have to. Then the ref makes the decision. The blame is always passed around from whistle ref to touchie to video ref. rugby league is a simple game. Just stop over cimplicating it.

The man with the whistle should make the decision. It's the easiest thing to do and will cost the least. And hopefully make the decision faster. They will also know exactly what to look for.

Get rid of the pocket ref. that only confuses the players and fans. 1 ref and 2 touchies per game. Maybe have one ref to review 40/2 and foul play. And that's it.

This new NRL regime has already almost killed off the game. A few more spastic decisions like this bunker crap could be the last few nails in the coffin. For such a big revenue annually, not much is left in the bank at the end of the year.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I've heard of this plan before, but I don't get it, why is the result going to be better if the video ref is not at the ground? what I'm I missing?

Seems to me this plan won't hurt anything, I'm just not clear on how it helps?
The thought is, that the decisions will be more consistent, because the same people are making the decisions in every game.

KimboSlice

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
just pisses me off that when Referees are performing their poorest (evident by this trial), the NRL has stepped in and gagged players and coaches from commenting on them.. wheres the accountability.. the NRL admin are a joke!

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think from memory that this idea was masterminded by Bill Harrigan,when he was referees boss( please feel free to correct me if I am wrong) to make one set of video referees responsible for all the games.They would not actually be at the ground but operate from a central control room.I reckon though that more video angles would need to be available as sometimes vision can be obscured from certain aspects, this might help them get rid of the ref saying try or no try just a straight referral instead.
I know we are all whinging about the refs still getting it wrong, and the fact that they are untouchable but I hate this changing the way things are done during the season because they have not got it right from the outset.
I wonder what would happen if there are two games on at the same time and a decision has to be made in each at the same time?( as on a Friday once daylight savings finishes).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The thought is, that the decisions will be more consistent, because the same people are making the decisions in every game.
Ok, makes sense, not sure it will really be better, just a consistent average I guess

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Get rid of all the refs bar 1 players play to the whistle refs call is reffs call.it may not be perfect but we will have free flowing footy and no time to judge 400 different angles and decision because the game will already be a couple of sets ahead

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think the on field ref should review the vision, not that hard to setup a system on the sideline where the refs can take a quick look.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
So instead of individuals rorting and rigging games it's going to be the same bunch of rorted c***s?

Makes it easier for the betting agencies to rig results on the fly.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So instead of individuals rorting and rigging games it's going to be the same bunch of rorted c***s?

Makes it easier for the betting agencies to rig results on the fly.
And then they'll open a betting market on whether it is a try or no try !!!!!

~cb.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not quite video ref bunker news although person concerned has taken his place in the video refs chair at one time or another. Just watching a replay of the QRL game between Tweed Heads (feeder to Tits) and Norths Devils and was quite surprised to see Henry Perenara as match referee.Now I know what they do with the ones they want to hide, send them North of the border to Qld Cup. Suppose if they make a mistake not many will see it.Ha ha.I know that we had an exchange system with the refs but only at NSW Cup QLD Cup level;Henry has been officiating in NRL for a while, so was he dropped?
Funny thing is the commentators are giving it to him deluxe about his scrum interpretations, but Ol Henry is loving it because he gets his head on screen at all times being a the only Referee. Then In the next breathe they then talk him up as having been a very ,very good NRL player who now has the potential to be the best referee in the competition.

Last edited by a moderator:

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Or get joey to run out his bloody touch screen tv aha.
I forgot they are sponsored by microsoft, get a surface out there for them Naega jeil jal naga lol

[video=youtube;1jP4O7rEHQ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jP4O7rEHQ8[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.