News Vaccine stance a major sticking point for Bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The nrlol don't make it mandatory so no club should make it mandatory.
Although they have a business to protect and if people are gonna to avoid the vaccine it’s a risk to all staff and players as they are “more likely” to catch it and bring it into the workplace.
At the end of the day chances are New Zealand potentially Melbourne will want only vaccinated people travelling and if we were upset with hoppa no Sunday is it ok for Thompson potentially no warriors game (hypothetical)

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah we don't want Brooks, I'd prefer to continue playing Averillo
I don’t think Brooks and Burton would be a good halves pairing. Both are left side players.

To me Brooks is more of a running five eighth. We don’t need that

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL does not support mandated vaccinations but will support teams that stand down players from playing and training. But Currently salary cap will be impacted. Will not surprise me if NRL changed position on mandating and if not they will be forced to give salary cap relief to clubs affected. I can see it will be similar to the no fault stand down.

The challenge will be if he chooses to get the vax later in his contract period what happens to the cap?

As far as I’m concerned surely if he can’t travel he will not be able to satisfy contract and therefore will be in breach of contract.

But interesting point that was raised above, what will NRL do first player that is COVID positive. Suspend That player or that team or suspend any no vaxxed players.

Thompson has been missing too many games because of suspensions. We can not afford for him on his salary to miss games for any other reason. If that’s the case he has to go, I’ll be sad to see him go but he will leave management with no alternative.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Seems to be a lot of smoke around Thompson, I'd like to keep him and see him with some quality players around him.
In saying that, if there's any truth to this and a Thompson / Brooks swap is a possibility, then make the Tigers take Flanagan too.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
From what I understand the club and the nrl may be able to take action against an unvaxxed player who gets covid. So if Thommo chooses not get vaxxed but then gets covid he could be held liable for any lost revenue . For instance if games had to get delayed or cancelled. I heard this in a podcast a few weeks ago.

This could potentially be hundreds of thousands of dollars. So even though the nrl can’t make you get vaxxed you are taking a massive financial risk if you don’t
So hard to prove where infection came from tho so that's a slippery slope of blame?

As someone said....every team will probably have several players get it as it spreads thru the population....unvaxxed will get worse symptoms/infection I guess.

Top 30 will need to be Top 40.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The bloke is not leaving. 850k is something i doubt he would get any where in the nrl. This will all blow over in a day.

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please keep this thread on topic about Thompson and not derail things with personal opinions about covid or vaccinations. There’s a covid thread in the lounge.

Anyone getting off topic will get banned from the thread.
Actually its about Brooks too isn't it? If we sign Brooks we are worse than the Tigers hes very ordinary we should stick with our young blokes and as for Thommo hes been good but not a superstar let him go if he wants !

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As of right now no unvaccinated player will be playing in Melbourne by Vic government regulations. So I don’t know how that works for The NRL if they’re not gonna policy on it. And what happens if QLD and NSW follow?

Are clubs expected to pay players who can’t play because of “personal choice”?
Rapid antigen testing is the solution

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually its about Brooks too isn't it? If we sign Brooks we are worse than the Tigers hes very ordinary we should stick with our young blokes and as for Thommo hes been good but not a superstar let him go if he wants !
Let Thompson go and replace him with who? I want to see how he goes with better players around him

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As of right now no unvaccinated player will be playing in Melbourne by Vic government regulations. So I don’t know how that works for The NRL if they’re not gonna policy on it. And what happens if QLD and NSW follow?

Are clubs expected to pay players who can’t play because of “personal choice”?
So this rules out swapping him in 2022 for the Cheese......Damn!!!

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always liked Thompson but this is some bottom of the barrel stupidity. If he gets sacked over this I won't feel sorry for him whatsoever. What does he expect to happen though? It isn't like it is just our team that will demand he get vaxxed. Does he just want a different career? What an absolute imbecile.
To call someone an imbecile because they dont want to get tge vac is being ignorant..has the NRL come out and said players must get vacced? Unless that happens he has a choice to do what he wants

Status
Not open for further replies.