Using Ben Barba 'may be unavoidable'

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBearHunter

Guard Dog.
Reaction score
I cant find it anywhere but if its here mods please delete this :grinning: thx!!

By Neil Cadigan

July 04, 2008 12:00am

STEVE Folkes admits that injury or circumstance may force him to play Toyota Cup sensation, 19-year-old Ben Barba, in the NRL before the end of this season - before his time.

But it would most likely be off the bench or at fullback, where similarly-styled former Rothmans medallist Ewan McGrady made such an impact in the early 1990s.

Folkes admits he shouldn't have aggravated the club's most vocal fans by predicting their screaming for his inclusion three weeks ago, but he doesn't change his opinion on protecting Barba from an obvious NRL onslaught - if he can.

"I probably shouldn't have said what I said," he confessed.

"It was pre-emptive, I knew what was coming and I understand the fans are entitled to their opinions.

"But the coaching staff, and that includes Andrew Johns who would know a bit about it, have said to me several times Ben Barba is not ready for first grade and I agree. Andrew is adamant.

"While he is fantastic in the under-20s with the ball, his defence can be poor, which is half the game. He is only slight and if you played him in the front line he would be an absolute target for the opposition.

"Ben is definitely a first grader of the future, a wonderful talent, but I don't think we want to do that to him at this stage of his development until he gets a bit stronger and more mature in the body.

"He might get an opportunity through necessity, though, off the bench or fullback where he has played under-20s."

One player's progress Folkes is delighted with is the formerly wayward Reni Maitua, who the club could have easily released earlier this year.

"I have a lot of time for Reni; he's just a really good, honest bloke who was a bit confused with his direction after a few off-field incidents that were made out to be bigger than they were.

"He's got back into surfing after drifting away from it and even went to Bali for five days when we had the bye, which was good for him as a release from footy.

"He's really committed and playing quite well and that is why you are prepared to work with him and why we didn't want to let him go."

Wolfpac

4 Life
Reaction score
good read... i think he may have been forced to say what he did about apologising to the supporters for his comments...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
See.. I said Folkes would have regretted what he said and that he would have said it in the heat of the moment on the back of a 40 point hiding to the Raiders.

That was much more eloquent from Folkes and hopefully he explained himself well to those that want Barba in. He obviously has alot of time for Barba and thinks he could be something special and Folkes pinpointed what Benny needs to improve on and even acknowledged that the other coaches including Joey think the same.

I am still waiting however, for some to put a spin on this and say his apology and views aren't good enough, but there is little that can be done about that....

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I bet right now Barba is throwing down protein shakes 10 times a day and spends most his life in the gym.

10kg more Barba and the strength will come.

Im thinking so far as this guy might be the next SOO number 6.

GP

Waterboy
Reaction score
Funny how he said that Reni is committed and a good honest bloke which is why they didnt want to release him earlier this year. So does that mean that the other person who got released wasnt committed or a good and honest bloke? Maybe im reading too much into it.

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
It says a lot when Joey says he isnt ready....

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Funny how he said that Reni is committed and a good honest bloke which is why they didnt want to release him earlier this year. So does that mean that the other person who got released wasnt committed or a good and honest bloke? Maybe im reading too much into it.
nope, not at all, i'd say you've hit it right on the head, which is why we had to cut that idgit loose
so glad we did

Quillen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spot on. The other player was far from being good, honest and/or committed.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet right now Barba is throwing down protein shakes 10 times a day and spends most his life in the gym.

Isn't he a Queenslander?

-313-

I cant find it anywhere but if its here mods please delete this :grinning: thx!!

"I probably shouldn't have said what I said," he confessed.

"It was pre-emptive, I knew what was coming and I understand the fans are entitled to their opinions.

."
Apology Accepted, and please keep Barba in NYC

S

Spraytan

Folkes is king, and 100% right I have no idea what some clowns are screaming and carrying on about.
Folkes over all nuff nuffs on here

[FKN-SIK]

Gigidy Gigidy
Reaction score
OH COME ON FOLKES AND JOEY, EVERY DUD ON THIS WEBSITE KNOWS MORE ABOUT FOOTY THAN YOU!

:whacky:

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
[FKN-SIK];1366256 said:
OH COME ON FOLKES AND JOEY, EVERY DUD ON THIS WEBSITE KNOWS MORE ABOUT FOOTY THAN YOU!

:whacky:
Here here!!!

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sack Folkes. How dare he make sense!

_BT_

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

And a Queenslander?

Status
Not open for further replies.