updated rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarooni

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
comes limping back and says never got a shot in boxing so wants to come back.sad

Old Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've said before many times I think King is overrated, only stood out and made Origin because he played for a dominant Melbourne team, and he has been out of form at Warrington.

He would command too much money and all he would do is take Idri's CENTRE spot. Yes Idris could still play on the wing, but he would be wasted there as he can create so much with the ball and is also very good in defense.

Why buy Matt King when we are investing so much time, hope and faith into Jamal who shows so much promise and as Moe said, for now, costs a great, great deal less than what Matt King would?
Exactly!

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly! He could pay the dogs to play & I still don't want to see him back!
well didn't exactly leave the dogs he was released. but the way afterwards it all happened he acted like a kient and i wouldn't want him back however, new atmosphere, new coach, new players, new ceo and a vacant second row spot. he is past his prime, we should sign someone better.

Mr. Sparkle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happened to the rumor that Darren Lockyer was coming to the Bulldogs? lol

Dog4Life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
FFS we have 4000K and we cant front load anyone else what the Phuck do we do with the money,i realy believe if we were to give the competitiona shake in 09 we need a nother high profile playe...I hope we get king or Gleeson(Ive never seen him play but reports say his awesome)

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Im rather iffy about Matt King hey.

I dont think we should be spending our money on anymore backs. we need BIFF ffs - give us a hard earned forward. We need grunt.

MANNIX

Black Dog
Reaction score
I've said before many times I think King is overrated, only stood out and made Origin because he played for a dominant Melbourne team, and he has been out of form at Warrington.

He would command too much money and all he would do is take Idri's CENTRE spot. Yes Idris could still play on the wing, but he would be wasted there as he can create so much with the ball and is also very good in defense.

Why buy Matt King when we are investing so much time, hope and faith into Jamal who shows so much promise and as Moe said, for now, costs a great, great deal less than what Matt King would?
That's all good, but the club have only shot themselves in the foot by not signing Idris to a longer term deal. So as far as developing Idris as a future mainstay of the club, he may only be around for the duration of his contract.

King is a rep & premiership player, so as well as being a good player, he brings a lot of experience to our young side (much like Kimmorley).

King also held his own in Origin - before Bellyache became state coach. He has proved his worth in rep sides. He is also that solid, tall & fast player that everyone calls for to be in the backline.

Me thinks anyway.............

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
That's all good, but the club have only shot themselves in the foot by not signing Idris to a longer term deal. So as far as developing Idris as a future mainstay of the club, he may only be around for the duration of his contract.

King is a rep & premiership player, so as well as being a good player, he brings a lot of experience to our young side (much like Kimmorley).

King also held his own in Origin - before Bellyache became state coach. He has proved his worth in rep sides. He is also that solid, tall & fast player that everyone calls for to be in the backline.

Sherwin, Mason and SBW were all signed to long term deals.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Btrain also raises a valid point - it would be a Jonathan Thurston story if we bought Matt King considering Jamal Idriss at the moment...

MANNIX

Black Dog
Reaction score
Sherwin, Mason and SBW were all signed to long term deals.
Sweet. So who can say what the future will hold with anyone. You have to make short term plans nowdays.

King & Idris both in the same team seems like a great idea to me..........

MANNIX

Black Dog
Reaction score
Btrain also raises a valid point - it would be a Jonathan Thurston story if we bought Matt King considering Jamal Idriss at the moment...
Idris & King would be in the same side - why is this a problem?

It would be an embarassment of riches.

People reckon Idris could end up in the forwards anyway.

Sign King, let him run off Kimmorley with Idris outside him.

Try time.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Idris & King would be in the same side - why is this a problem?

It would be an embarassment of riches.

People reckon Idris could end up in the forwards anyway.

Sign King, let him run off Kimmorley with Idris outside him.

Try time.
The way I see it next year:

Patten
El Masri
Morris
Idriss
Utai

Unless perhaps you wanna get rid of El Masri? I know lots of people are calling for his removal - but the club wont allow that to happen - and to buy Matt King and throw Hazem into FG - is throwing the most loyal of our loyalty out the window..

I dont see the club doing that - and if they did then I dont know what to think of the Dogs anymore..

Bitemarks

mmm tasty ear
Reaction score
I heard Mason is missing the blue and white, its still in his heart I reckon.
I know we have massive resentment to him but he was overshadowed by a country mile by sbw. I'd have him back easy as he is a lot better that what we had to offer this year., he also does have that fireup factor in his speaches, which was seriously lacking this year.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Well Idris has been extended til the end of 2010 so that is long enough.

Eventually we will have to play these players in their preferred positions and let them flourish and develop before our eyes in FG.

Idris has shown he can handle FG, doesn't take a backward step, has a great attitude and his body is more than ready for the rigours of the NRL, despite his youth and inexperience.

Despite our cap room, signing a 27 year old Matt King coming back from shocking form in England to a 2 or 3 year deal on at least 250k would not only be a waste of money, and not only send a negative message to our younger players and Idris, but also reduce cap room for other youngsters at our club or better potential targets in the future in positions where we need strengething alot more than Centre.

Second Row and Prop are two more pressing concerns and needs at the moment.

Signing King would be signing him because we can and we have the money now. As I said, all it would do is prevent Idris from playing in his natural and best position in the centres and again, risk losing our youth players again like we have in the past to other clubs as we either don't have the money left, the spot in the team or the opportunity that these players such as Idris deserve.

I would much rather front load more contracts and stock up for a big run at next years off contract players which there are many great players, all of which are much better, much better value, younger, in a higher priority position and in far better form than sign a waning Matt King coming back from a poor stint in England and risking all that I mentioned.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
The way I see it next year:

Patten
El Masri
Morris
Idriss
Utai

Unless perhaps you wanna get rid of El Masri? I know lots of people are calling for his removal - but the club wont allow that to happen - and to buy Matt King and throw Hazem into FG - is throwing the most loyal of our loyalty out the window..

I dont see the club doing that - and if they did then I dont know what to think of the Dogs anymore..
Haz will keep his spot with form like any player. Fact is in a side thats travelling ok, Haz is always very good. You dont see him having bad games when the side has a good one. And until the last match he was kicking at 84% for the season, which is very respectable. If we scored more tries he would kick more points too.

Your five are the likely starting combo barring injury Blaq, only id have Nanai/Idris not just Idris. maybe one from the bench as an impact player.

King (maybe) coming would create a selection problem. BUt saying that i would want someone extra to cover Patten. With his injury we have no idea how much he will play. King may not end up fullback, but he would allow someone to go back there. Sure i hope Patten plays all year though. We proved in 2008 that you cant have too many good players handy though.

MANNIX

Black Dog
Reaction score
Well Idris has been extended til the end of 2010 so that is long enough.

Eventually we will have to play these players in their preferred positions and let them flourish and develop before our eyes in FG.

Idris has shown he can handle FG, doesn't take a backward step, has a great attitude and his body is more than ready for the rigours of the NRL, despite his youth and inexperience.

Despite our cap room, signing a 27 year old Matt King coming back from shocking form in England to a 2 or 3 year deal on at least 250k would not only be a waste of money, and not only send a negative message to our younger players and Idris, but also reduce cap room for other youngsters at our club or better potential targets in the future in positions where we need strengething alot more than Centre.

Second Row and Prop are two more pressing concerns and needs at the moment.

Signing King would be signing him because we can and we have the money now. As I said, all it would do is prevent Idris from playing in his natural and best position in the centres and again, risk losing our youth players again like we have in the past to other clubs as we either don't have the money left, the spot in the team or the opportunity that these players such as Idris deserve.

I would much rather front load more contracts and stock up for a big run at next years off contract players which there are many great players, all of which are much better, much better value, younger, in a higher priority position and in far better form than sign a waning Matt King coming back from a poor stint in England and risking all that I mentioned.

Roger that Ben.

I see that by the end of 2009/2010 we will still be in the position to make a play for off contract athletes. We have a wealth of talent coming off contract over the next two years (Idris included) that will make plenty of room in the cap.

With injuries and rep duites an ever present circumstance, our youngsters will always have a chance to hit grade & make an impression.

I believe Idris would be more than happy playing in grade in whatever position - it is not like we would lose anything playing Idris on the wing & King at centre three quater.

Matt King has had one bad season in another country. Maybe greed is not all it is cracked up to be & he wants to head home where he plays decent footy.

I am not saying we give King what he wants, but if we can get him at a reasonable price for 2-3 years, I only think that will benefit us.

Having Patten as an unknown quantity now, Nanai being a fringe FG in my opinion, Utai & El Masri coming to the end of their tenure - there is plenty of opportunity for Idris to eventually play centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.