Opinion Update on Signings

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
More bullshit, Pele gave up, mentally couldn't hack it. The NRL simply wasn't for him, the fact is he's a slacker, kept failing his KPI's, despite personal counselling, wouldn't stick to his nutrition plan, hardly hit a single physical benchmark, made excuse after excuse etc etc.

Always a Bulldog
Pele looked big, tattooed and mean but played like a fluff ball. Not bothered at all he left, he was a pussy prop

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Knight is a backup random game option. I don’t see him as a consistent week in week out option.

King if he can stay injury free is our only genuine NRL middle. He played broken last year. As well as being toeier than a Roman Sandel. If his body gets fixed over the offseason. Combined with getting married and having some pressure released in that department. He will be critical for us.
I totally disagree with this. I used to think King was a goodun, but he has become a plodder tbh. I even rate Knight higher.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I totally disagree with this. I used to think King was a goodun, but he has become a plodder tbh. I even rate Knight higher.
King was injured and kept fronting up all year, till he was bustard custard. If ever a horse needed a spell for a freshen up its King…would also consider he go out to stud for freshen up.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was well documented that King had injuries throughout the season and played in discomfort.

He also had very little support in the middle

If we can be positive and look at his round 27 performance against a Titans pack that included Tino, Mo and David Fifita he played for 62 minutes from the bench making 36 tackles (no misses) and ran for 162m - not too bad!

Last edited:

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Agree we need some middles and king could step up, lol a Roman Sandal…we need a fkn middles academy.
Given where we are now I’d agree.
However starting last season with Thompson (English captain & arguably the world no’ 1 prop), RFM, Kikau, Pele, King, Mahoney, Preston, Sutton, Waddell, Pele (Hughes, Edwards, Morrin coming thru) et al, our forward stocks looked good for 2023/24.
Due to injuries &/or several (6-7 out of 10) of these players just not shaping up to NRL, our roster looks paper thin again. So I’d argue Gus tried to address it back then. Hopefully he again has some roster forward stocking fillers under the tree, coming in time for Xmas.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
after watching thompson play, it's hard to believe he could be considered the worlds number 1 prop
He was never, he was arguably the best prop in England which is an inferior competition to the NRL. The media ran with a really bad quote.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
King was injured and kept fronting up all year, till he was bustard custard. If ever a horse needed a spell for a freshen up its King…would also consider he go out to stud for freshen up.
I’ll give him that but after his initial impressive performances, I’m just hoping it wasn’t a flash in the pan. He doesn’t have that big body you need at least a couple of in your team either. That’s been a major weakness the last few years.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pele looked big, tattooed and mean but played like a fluff ball. Not bothered at all he left, he was a pussy prop
He was only ever gonna be good for the odd explosive moment. Doesn’t have the fitness or mentality to go far IMO. We need blokes that thrive in tough going.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Would love to snag may fromchooks. If we can get him and afb our props are sorted and those 2 could essentially take tpj and thompsons $ between them (1.5mil easily those 2 are up)
JWH & Tupou are retiring which will free up room for at least 4 to 6 signings. Add in Sualii going to Union and that is plenty of cap space.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The two players that put their bodies on the line and watched their performances dip incredibly were King & Kiraz. Both should have missed a big part of the season last year but kept putting their hand up because of our injury crisis.

King is small for a prop but unfortunately he had to play as our alpha whilst busted which shouldn’t be his go.

Kiraz started the year on fire then got hurt and wasn’t great but kept turning up. Also not helped playing centre. His biggest strength is returning the ball and making ground from dummy half as a winger. IMO he is an out and out winger. Playing centre also didn’t help his performances.

Both players getting their bodies fixed over the offseason should only be a good thing.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
King was a very good member of the team. However, he is not, and never was a middle forward.
If we somehow get a few good middles, King should be in the back row or on the bench.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
after watching thompson play, it's hard to believe he could be considered the worlds number 1 prop
I hear you, but he was only considered the worlds best prop through UK opinion… was never viewed that highly here.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
King was a very good member of the team. However, he is not, and never was a middle forward.
If we somehow get a few good middles, King should be in the back row or on the bench.
Too slow for backrower (unless you mean lock/middle) and isn't a threat with ball in hand. You'll never see it.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Ruptured plantar fascia, took one week off for a fractured sternum, etc. King was run into the ground by the club and most of us called it last year when we failed to recruit a single quality prop to support him.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Btw I'll fight anyone that wants to slander King. Imagine calling me negative when there's posters on here slagging off our only competent middle forward that has showed borderline rep form in our stinky pack. Bruh.