Opinion Update on Signings

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That’s Blake Taaffe mate …

Won MOM in their cup premiership win …

Hopefully our FB for next year and he carves up ..

Not sure why he’s copied the Panthers snow goggles idea though, bad look ..
Cheers. Hadn't seen more than a few minutes of him in one South's game this year so I wouldn't know him in the street. I'm hopeful that he turns out to be one of those signings that give us faith back in our ability to pick up overlooked talent.

A cigar and ski goggles are a step up from a mysterious bag of white powder I guess.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Assuming we have alot of money left in the cap with the players let go, and with nothing great left on the open market I wonder how we plan on spending 95% of the cap.
Been wondering that myself, particularly since what we want/need isn't available

Last edited:

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cheers. Hadn't seen more than a few minutes of him in one South's game this year so I wouldn't know him in the street. I'm hopeful that he turns out to be one of those signings that give us faith back in our ability to pick up overlooked talent.

A cigar and ski goggles are a step up from a mysterious bag of white powder I guess.
From what I've seen of Taafe he's basically Nick Meaney, except with better lateral movement and acceleration at the start of his runs - more deceptive I'd say. He tends to get rag-dolled in tackles a fair bit, much like Meaney used to, so don't expect many post contact metres. He's still young so should improve more and it's great to have an option for leaving Crichton in the centres IMO.

Reactions: ATT

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen of Taafe he's basically Nick Meaney, except with better lateral movement and acceleration at the start of his runs - more deceptive I'd say. He tends to get rag-dolled in tackles a fair bit, much like Meaney used to, so don't expect many post contact metres. He's still young so should improve more and it's great to have an option for leaving Crichton in the centres IMO.
One big difference Meaney avoided heavy contact when at the dogs - unless in space his runs n defence were soft - improved at Melbourne

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
How is Saifiti at the end of his career when he’s only 27 years old? Props are playing well into their 30’s these days
Because no one wants him not even the knights he’s not the player he once was, the game has moved on and players have gone past him. He’s living on memories and on mot current times Centrelink is his future hopefully not us

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Because no one wants him not even the knights he’s not the player he once was, the game has moved on and players have gone past him. He’s living on memories and on mot current times Centrelink is his future hopefully not us
Considering we desperately need starting props, who would you say is a better alternative out there?

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe a change of clubs and the way the training ciro is setting will help him improve?

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Considering we desperately need starting props, who would you say is a better alternative out there?
Beggars can't be choosers, we've missed out on Haas Tino and Fotuaika,
I would sign Safiti if NC pays part of his 2024 contract and include performance bounces for the rest of the contract.
I would also sign May on a cautious but fair contract.
In both cases no long contacts.
Twal is a must for his defence !

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good, bad or indifferent we are down 3 props that were considered good enough to play nrl this year in tpj, thommo and Pele with maybe another 2 to be shown the door in RFM and Sutton.
For a position that was a major weakness, we certainly have plenty of work to do to find some help for King.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That’s Blake Taaffe mate …

Won MOM in their cup premiership win …

Hopefully our FB for next year and he carves up ..

Not sure why he’s copied the Panthers snow goggles idea though, bad look ..
Panthers stole it from the NBA where it’s become a tradition after winning the championship - like Halloween, these gimmicks take off down here at some point.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Panthers stole it from the NBA where it’s become a tradition after winning the championship - like Halloween, these gimmicks take off down here at some point.
It's the biggest load of wank I've ever seen so it's hardly surprising the Yank wannabe Panthers have run with it. Throw some tear gas in their sheds after fulltime and see if the ski masks are much help. That'd be great post match entertainment.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good, bad or indifferent we are down 3 props that were considered good enough to play nrl this year in tpj, thommo and Pele with maybe another 2 to be shown the door in RFM and Sutton.
For a position that was a major weakness, we certainly have plenty of work to do to find some help for King.
King also needs to help himself. His personal regression was Starc. He was a real offload merchant in 2022 and in 2023 he went 0.5 offload per game

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Beggars can't be choosers, we've missed out on Haas Tino and Fotuaika,
I would sign Safiti if NC pays part of his 2024 contract and include performance bounces for the rest of the contract.
I would also sign May on a cautious but fair contract.
In both cases no long contacts.
Twal is a must for his defence !
We might have to offer a bunch of development contracts to some big athletic young blokes and hope we get lucky

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
King also needs to help himself. His personal regression was Starc. He was a real offload merchant in 2022 and in 2023 he went 0.5 offload per game
Because we had such a lack of "go forward" CC might have told him to just tuck it under the arm

Waldo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Kiraz/Wilson Fullback
Taaffe 7
Sexton nswcup