Opinion Update on Signings

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Gus will stick to a plan for long term success but he’ll get criticised for not opting for quick wins/fixes….
You can have both. Long term success comes from juniors/younger reserve grade talent that isn't on the cap or very little of it. Also no gurentees they make it. You also need to bring them into a competitive squad which aids with development and confidence.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how h goes off the bench this weekend. This season he looked like he really got himself in shape, however has dropped off a bit lately. Also don't think we need to worry about cheap anymore, just good. Think we need to spend 800K plus to get Moe, but we should have at least that.
There is no substitute for quality, while there are none we can go for affordable second best on short contracts until we get who we want, I believe Greig can be a better replacement for Pele.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how h goes off the bench this weekend. This season he looked like he really got himself in shape, however has dropped off a bit lately. Also don't think we need to worry about cheap anymore, just good. Think we need to spend 800K plus to get Moe, but we should have at least that.
Gus keeps harping on about getting decent players from good systems (how good is the Tits' systems?)...which is all well and good until you consider Napa & Tevita came from "good systems" clubs.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sadly it's The National Rorting League where only the chosen clubs get away with it !
Exactly, if we had that amount of players in our team on huge money like that, the media would be all over us .. then the Nrl would have to seem like they’re doing their job, they’d react and have the auditors all over us.

Personally I don’t think the Nrl have a problem with us, but certain p***** in the media do, and their relentless pursuit of drawing attention to even the smallest irregularities that Gould, Ciraldo and the club do, draws attention to the Nrl, and they’re reactive to anything that might paint them in a bad light.

I believe the relentless negative Fox media about Jackson’s retirement at the start of the season is why we’re wearing part of his salary on our cap .. if the media hadn’t been obsessed with running stories about how they believe he was sacked and instead all was quiet, I believe we wouldn’t be wearing any of his money this year … with all that attention, the Nrl had to look like they were onto it.

Look at the lengths the Media went to to make out we were going to rort the cap and give Tino a pub, even though he was never coming here and everyone in the know knew it, that didn’t stop the media from bashing the club left and right for 2 weeks until the Nrl had to come out and say they wouldn’t allow that type of investment … I still believe Laundy was set up there !

Look at the media beat up believing TPJ was pushed out to free up money, they have no clue what went down, but it’s been days and days of media spotlight … don’t be surprised now to see the Nrl be reactive and make us carry some of his money on our cap next year ..

It’s the Fox media p***** that are causing the club a lot of problems, being under the spotlight doesn’t help us to get away with things other clubs get away with, this makes things even harder for us to move up the ladder.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is no substitute for quality, while there are none we can go for affordable second best on short contracts until we get who we want, I believe Greig can be a better replacement for Pele.
Early season form Greig was very good - since return from injury has looked ordinary.

re TPJ - when he was at Broncos he was poor (lazy) defensively - he and Thompson both are usually a step behind the defensive line., so hopefully with neither the defnse improves.

Your point about affordable second best short contracts is spot on but not sure many will accept one year deals - i still think it is possible that salary cap pressures at some clubs - Manly Newcastle Titans and to a lesser extent Brisbane might shake a few middles under contract - Saifiti, Mo F, Paseka Willison. Even players like Joliffe Aloia Keppie Sipley would be an upgrade.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Early season form Greig was very good - since return from injury has looked ordinary.

re TPJ - when he was at Broncos he was poor (lazy) defensively - he and Thompson both are usually a step behind the defensive line., so hopefully with neither the defnse improves.

Your point about affordable second best short contracts is spot on but not sure many will accept one year deals - i still think it is possible that salary cap pressures at some clubs - Manly Newcastle Titans and to a lesser extent Brisbane might shake a few middles under contract - Saifiti, Mo F, Paseka Willison. Even players like Joliffe Aloia Keppie Sipley would be an upgrade.
He's played 2 games since returning from injury and one of those was a 10 minute game.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Exactly, if we had that amount of players in our team on huge money like that, the media would be all over us .. then the Nrl would have to seem like they’re doing their job, they’d react and have the auditors all over us.

Personally I don’t think the Nrl have a problem with us, but certain p***** in the media do, and their relentless pursuit of drawing attention to even the smallest irregularities that Gould, Ciraldo and the club do, draws attention to the Nrl, and they’re reactive to anything that might paint them in a bad light.

I believe the relentless negative Fox media about Jackson’s retirement at the start of the season is why we’re wearing part of his salary on our cap .. if the media hadn’t been obsessed with running stories about how they believe he was sacked and instead all was quiet, I believe we wouldn’t be wearing any of his money this year … with all that attention, the Nrl had to look like they were onto it.

Look at the lengths the Media went to to make out we were going to rort the cap and give Tino a pub, even though he was never coming here and everyone in the know knew it, that didn’t stop the media from bashing the club left and right for 2 weeks until the Nrl had to come out and say they wouldn’t allow that type of investment … I still believe Laundy was set up there !

Look at the media beat up believing TPJ was pushed out to free up money, they have no clue what went down, but it’s been days and days of media spotlight … don’t be surprised now to see the Nrl be reactive and make us carry some of his money on our cap next year ..

It’s the Fox media p***** that are causing the club a lot of problems, being under the spotlight doesn’t help us to get away with things other clubs get away with, this makes things even harder for us to move up the ladder.
News Lies un-Ltd owned and controlled 50% of the NRL for approximately 20 years, the problem is they still think they do :rage:
Have you ever wondered why the NRL discreetly always comes to the aid of the struggling out of Sydney clubs yet the struggling Sydney clubs are left to self destruct ?

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He's played 2 games since returning from injury and one of those was a 10 minute game.
What was his injury ? I thought he was very good prior - maybe they rushed him back - i also thought parra re signed him

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Greig would be worth the gamble, he wouldn't be on $725k TPJ's or $850k Thompson's contracts.
As for the salary cap repercussions, we have to be ready to pounce when it happens !

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
What was his injury ? I thought he was very good prior - maybe they rushed him back - i also thought parra re signed him
lisfranc injury, foot

kamaryn

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gus keeps harping on about getting decent players from good systems (how good is the Tits' systems?)...which is all well and good until you consider Napa & Tevita came from "good systems" clubs.
Sadly every system is better than ours at the moment (bar maybe the Tigers and Dragons, and that's still a maybe).

Reactions: ATT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
News Lies un-Ltd owned and controlled 50% of the NRL for approximately 20 years, the problem is they still think they do :rage:
Have you ever wondered why the NRL discreetly always comes to the aid of the struggling out of Sydney clubs yet the struggling Sydney clubs are left to self destruct ?
I haven’t wondered that because I know why … if a few Sydney clubs folded, the Nrl wouldn’t even break a sweat, they’d move straight to a new team in NZ, WA maybe even SA PNG or Sunshine Coast and they’d probably earn a bigger TV contract because of it .. they believe for money purposes that the audience in Sydney is to condensed.

I look at the Melbourne CEO’s idea of players investing in his Betr gambling app to stave of other clubs pinching their players, and how the Nrl approved that … now as much as that might have all been “legal” (cough) we would never have been approved of that, simply because of the relentless media scrutiny we’d of gotten, there would have been weeks of headlines about how it’s a conflict of interest, it’s unfair, it’s rorting the system, it’s encouraging corruption and players to gamble etc …

The way they were allowed to get it done with basically zero scrutiny proves to me certain clubs are no go media zones, to important for Melbourne and a few of these other clubs to stay strong in AFL strong holds and for the billion dollar TV ratings, I believe certain fractions of the media have been warned off certain clubs ..

The Nrl is a very unfair system, and they’re a law unto themselves because they generate so much money, because of the big money, they get government backing, the Nrl and certain government bodies scratch each other’s backs .. why do you think they’re all promoting the yes vote ..

The nrl wouldn’t give 2 hoots if our club became collateral damage ..

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I haven’t wondered that because I know why … if a few Sydney clubs folded, the Nrl wouldn’t even break a sweat, they’d move straight to a new team in NZ, WA maybe even SA PNG or Sunshine Coast and they’d probably earn a bigger TV contract because of it .. they believe for money purposes that the audience in Sydney is to condensed.

I look at the Melbourne CEO’s idea of players investing in his Betr gambling app to stave of other clubs pinching their players, and how the Nrl approved that … now as much as that might have all been “legal” (cough) we would never have been approved of that, simply because of the relentless media scrutiny we’d of gotten, there would have been weeks of headlines about how it’s a conflict of interest, it’s unfair, it’s rorting the system, it’s encouraging corruption and players to gamble etc …

But because they were allowed to get it done without much scrutiny proves to me certain clubs are no go media zones, to important for Melbourne and a few of these other clubs to stay strong in AFL strong holds and for the billion dollar TV ratings, and the media have been warned off ..

The Nrl a very unfair system, and they’re a law unto themselves because they generate so much money, because of the money they get government backing .. why do you think they’re all promoting the yes vote ..

The nrl wouldn’t give 2 hoots if our club became collateral damage .
The NRL makes a Grant every year that is the same amount to each club and covers the Salary Cap and a fair proportion of the coaching staff costs. There is really no reason for any club to "fold". A team could finish last every season, have zero sponsorship and zero members and still never get remotely close to folding.

The NRL can't repeat the kicking out Souffs debacle, the contract agreement with all of the clubs prevents that. Plus the NRL can't add another team/s without the existing Clubs approval.

I would also add that if the NRL tried booting us out we have enough funding to kick their arses in every court in the land.

Always a Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NRL makes a Grant every year that is the same amount to each club and covers the Salary Cap and a fair proportion of the coaching staff costs. There is really no reason for any club to "fold". A team could finish last every season, have zero sponsorship and zero members and still never get remotely close to folding.

The NRL can't repeat the kicking out Souffs debacle, the contract agreement with all of the clubs prevents that. Plus the NRL can't add another team/s without the existing Clubs approval.

I would also add that if the NRL tried booting us out we have enough funding to kick their arses in every court in the land.

Always a Bulldog
You are 100% right mate ..

But that doesn’t change the fact that if a few Sydney clubs did fold, the Nrl wouldn’t blink an eye, they wouldn’t be jumping in to help like they would with certain other clubs …

It doesn’t change the fact that certain other teams outside the Sydney area are favoured over others and allowances are made to keep them strong.

It doesn’t change the fact that some clubs will be scrutinised for every little irregularity while a blind eye is turned to another.

It doesn’t change the fact that some clubs are no go media zones where it’s open slather on others.

Whilst you are right, we are to strong a club to fold, don’t ever expect to be given any favours …

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
You are 100% right mate ..

1) But that doesn’t change the fact that if a few Sydney clubs did fold, the Nrl wouldn’t blink an eye, they wouldn’t be jumping in to help like they would with certain other clubs …

2) It doesn’t change the fact that certain other teams outside the Sydney area are favoured over others and allowances are made to keep them strong.

3) It doesn’t change the fact that some clubs will be scrutinised for every little irregularity while a blind eye is turned to another.

4) It doesn’t change the fact that some clubs are no go media zones where it’s open slather on others.

Whilst you are right, we are to strong a club to fold, don’t ever expect to be given any favours …
I don't believe that #1 has any relationship with #2, #3 or #4

I have zero doubt that some clubs get favouritism and some clubs get screwed, but even the most screwed club can't be forced to fold.

Always a Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe that #1 has any relationship with #2, #3 or #4

I have zero doubt that some clubs get favouritism and some clubs get screwed, but even the most screwed club can't be forced to fold.

Always a Bulldog
Yea … I think you might be talking literally ..

We were discussing if it was hypothetically to happen the Nrl wouldn’t lose any sleep ..

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

The way they were allowed to get it done with basically zero scrutiny proves to me certain clubs are no go media zones, to important for Melbourne and a few of these other clubs to stay strong in AFL strong holds and for the billion dollar TV ratings, I believe certain fractions of the media have been warned off certain clubs ..

The Nrl is a very unfair system, and they’re a law unto themselves because they generate so much money, because of the big money, they get government backing, the Nrl and certain government bodies scratch each other’s backs .. why do you think they’re all promoting the yes vote ..

The nrl wouldn’t give 2 hoots if our club became collateral damage ..
Sadly it is the case, what's more the culling of the Sydney teams was planned in the eighties, I've mentioned this several times before, I was told about it back in 1988.
Expansion needed to be done, the right way !

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sadly it is the case, what's more the culling of the Sydney teams was planned in the eighties, I've mentioned this several times before, I was told about it back in 1988.
Expansion needed to be done, the right way !
THere was a lot of talk of it - i think atm the nrl n broadcasters would rather go with more teams than culling Sydney teams even if player pool is significantly diluted - if i was the nrl id be trying to get more engagement with the federal govt and push hard for development opportunities in png and paciific nations -

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Everything seems to have been geared towards signing Haas, we 100 percent went after him hard. Who knows how much we offered him? At least made broncos offer 1.3 mil.
He didn't get 1.3 mil from the Broncos. It's about 1.2 mil