News 'Unacceptable': Bulldogs skipper rips team's performance after 'disappointing' loss to Warriors

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs captain Reed Mahoney has unleashed on his team after what he described as an "unacceptable" showing against the Warriors.

The Bulldogs conceded the first three tries of the night to the Warriors, who ran out with a comfortable 24-12 win at Accor Stadium, with the final scoreline not telling the full story of the New Zealanders' dominance.

Speaking post-match, a livid Mahoney offered up a downcast review of his team's performance.

"The whole thing was frustrating," he said.

"It's unacceptable. I haven't got much else to say.

"We've got to have a hard look at ourselves, as individuals as well. We're just waiting on others to do our job and it's not what we're about."

After beginning the game in an 18-point hole, Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo labelled his team's attacking pressure as "disappointing".

"The first half just wasn't good enough," he said.

"We spoke all week about starting fast and we just didn't get it done.

"We give a penalty away early, we give the opposition possession and [conceding] the three tries is just not what we want to be about, but it is what we are at the moment.

The Bulldogs responded after the break as young gun Harrison Edwards stepped the Warriors forwards close to the line in the 45th minute.

Winger Jayden Okunbor also scored but the damage was already done.

"I thought we responded in the second half, I thought we played better but it was way too late," Ciraldo said.

"We can't come in and play like that in the first half and then wait for a spray at half time and then respond in the second half."

Coming off a four-point loss to the Raiders during Magic Round, Ciraldo said he would consider shaking up his team ahead of the round 12 clash with the Titans.

"We'll look at making changes," he said.

"It's a result of performance, clearly if guys are doing their job in the 17 then you're not making many changes.

"The teams at the top of the table roll out the same team because everyone is doing their job but when you're in a position where you're not getting those performances consistently, then I've got to look for guys who can.

"There are some guys on the fringe of our squad that are really putting their hand up [to play].

"Blake Wilson came in today and did an outstanding job. This is the first week we have been able to use guys like Blake because he's outside of the top 30 - once you get to round 11 you can use blokes outside of the top 30 and there's a couple more [players] in that boat as well.

"We've got a NSW Cup game tomorrow that's a really good opportunity for those guys to come out and show us that they want to be in the NRL team, but the way some of them are training, they're showing me every day."

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ciraldo and Mahoney said the same thing last week after the Canberra game. This game was supposed to be the line in the sand. Mahoney, Burton, King, RFM and all of our other supposed leaders all deserve a tonne of blame for not showing more urgency or talking enough to rev the team up when needed. We play like the whole squad has been sedated pre game. Every week. It's unacceptable. There's zero leadership out there at the moment.

Fox is probably our most vocal player, we miss him for his ability but also his presence because the rest of the squad is so weak mentally.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Like the fact he has come out, but you can only say it so many times before it become blah blah blah. TBH am quite sick of it....
I'll believe his comments about making changes when I see them. I had my doubts about him when he didn't call out the SJ obstruction try. These past couple of weeks are just fuelling them even further.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs captain Reed Mahoney has unleashed on his team after what he described as an "unacceptable" showing against the Warriors.

The Bulldogs conceded the first three tries of the night to the Warriors, who ran out with a comfortable 24-12 win at Accor Stadium, with the final scoreline not telling the full story of the New Zealanders' dominance.

Speaking post-match, a livid Mahoney offered up a downcast review of his team's performance.

"We've got to have a hard look at ourselves, as individuals as well. We're just waiting on others to do our job and it's not what we're about."

After beginning the game in an 18-point hole, Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo labelled his team's attacking pressure as "disappointing".

"We give a penalty away early, we give the opposition possession and [conceding] the three tries is just not what we want to be about, but it is what we are at the moment.

The Bulldogs responded after the break as young gun Harrison Edwards stepped the Warriors forwards close to the line in the 45th minute.

"I thought we responded in the second half, I thought we played better but it was way too late," Ciraldo said.

"We can't come in and play like that in the first half and then wait for a spray at half time and then respond in the second half."

Coming off a four-point loss to the Raiders during Magic Round, Ciraldo said he would consider shaking up his team ahead of the round 12 clash with the Titans.

"It's a result of performance, clearly if guys are doing their job in the 17 then you're not making many changes.

"The teams at the top of the table roll out the same team because everyone is doing their job but when you're in a position where you're not getting those performances consistently, then I've got to look for guys who can.

"There are some guys on the fringe of our squad that are really putting their hand up [to play].

"Blake Wilson came in today and did an outstanding job. This is the first week we have been able to use guys like Blake because he's outside of the top 30 - once you get to round 11 you can use blokes outside of the top 30 and there's a couple more [players] in that boat as well.

"We've got a NSW Cup game tomorrow that's a really good opportunity for those guys to come out and show us that they want to be in the NRL team, but the way some of them are training, they're showing me every day."
Ciraldo peddled the same thing last week after we had lost 4 from 5 and dropped a winger and bench prop who played 5 minutes.
Understand the loyalty aspect but he keeps getting let down by the same plodders.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'll believe his comments about making changes when I see them. I had my doubts about him when he didn't call out the SJ obstruction try. These past couple of weeks are just fuelling them even further.
I was actually talking about Reed but yeah Ciraldo needs to aim up and let these guys know he is the coach.

The team needs to understand that a game goes for a full 80 minutes...... including the first few. How many times this year have we conceded first penalty, first try this year...too often. We at least are competing to a degree for most of the time and have not really folded badly in the latter stages as much but it is really frustrating to watch at the moment...

dinga

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Too many guys just going through the motions and more focused on their pay checks rather than pride in performance.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would like just for once for journo at the presser to say for a question 'Didn't you say that at the last presser? Just for once!!!

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As I said in another thread, it’s not effort, it’s talent. The squad and forwards in particular are very weak by NRL standards.
Asking them to put more effort in isn’t going to get it done.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I realise we are under strength but in all fairness it was a pretty piss poor effort last night.

Warriors have played four games in sixteen days. Including travel to Brisbane last week, back to Auckland then to Sydney.
This is one of the worst losses in recent memory and there has been many of them.

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
When you have a young squad , you have to expect inconsistent performances

Add to the fact injuries to key players , lack of a quality fullback and still tinkering with the halves it’s not hard to understand why we struggle

The potential is there but the squad even at full strength is definitely at best , fringe 8 material

The only thing I’m really critical about with Ciraldo is what he sees in perham that we all can’t see ? How on earth did he get to start fullback ahead of Averillo ?

His defense is joke and each time he touches the ball my butt cheeks clench thinking what stupidity will he come up with next
How on earth Ciraldo gives him a license to ball play just beggars belief

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Graham, Mason, O'Meley & Jackson could lace up the boots and come up with more metres than some of our forwards produced.

Season on the line and they went into hiding. Ciraldo cannot trust these duds anymore.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
11 rounds in and it already sounds stale, the entire team from coaches to players need to be held accountable and until they do words are just that.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We don't have a genuine fearless leader as captain. What I'd give to have someone like prime James Graham on the park ripping these fuckers a new one.

Looking at our fragile middle defence and leadership, we really are missing Josh Jackson tbh even if he didn't talk alot compared to other captains.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Too many guys just going through the motions and more focused on their pay checks rather than pride in performance.
Quite tellingly tho.....THEY ARE BEING ALLOWED TO!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Ciraldo peddled the same thing last week after we had lost 4 from 5 and dropped a winger and bench prop who played 5 minutes.
Understand the loyalty aspect but he keeps getting let down by the same plodders.
And Cc is letting down the effort players in doing so.