Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
It's NOT ours : Keep off it !

Wiki said:
Climbing

The local Aṉangu do not climb Uluru because of its great spiritual significance. They request that visitors not climb the rock, partly due to the path crossing a sacred traditional Dreamtime track, and also due to a sense of responsibility for the safety of visitors to their land. The Aṉangu believe they have a spiritual connection to Uluru, and feel great sadness when a person dies or is injured whilst climbing.

Climbing Uluru is a popular attraction for visitors. A chain handhold added in 1964 and extended in 1976 makes the hour-long climb easier, but it is still a long (800 m/0.5 mi) and steep hike to the top, where it can be quite windy. An above-average level of fitness and a high tolerance to desert conditions is required. Climbing Uluru is generally closed to the public when high winds are recorded at the top. Over the years there have been at least 35 deaths relating to climbing incidents.

Photography

The Aṉangu also request that visitors do not photograph certain sections of Uluru, for reasons related to traditional Tjukurpa beliefs. These areas are the sites of gender-linked rituals, and are forbidden ground for Aṉangu of the opposite sex of those participating in the rituals in question. The photographic ban is intended to prevent Aṉangu from inadvertently violating this taboo by encountering photographs of the forbidden sites in the outside world.

Consequences

It is sometimes reported that those who take rocks from the formation will be cursed and suffer misfortune. There have been many instances where people who removed such rocks attempted to mail them back to various agencies in an attempt to remove the perceived curse.

On 5 March 1968, a three seat Bell 47 G2 helicopter piloted by Philip Latz crashed on Uluru, about 1 mile (1.6 km) east of the cairn. The wreck was lifted off on 28 March by a Sikorsky S58 helicopter.
Ever climbed it ?
Know someone who has ?
What are your thoughts ?

Personally : If I ask someone to take their shoes off when they come to my house, I EXPECT them to do it !

I got NO problem with their requests.

Rocco1977

Waterboy
Reaction score
It's a rock, how can someone claim it?
and we gave ayers rock back in the sorry era and what happened?
Facilities poorly maintained and attraction became dangerous because of no maintenance.
So the government took it back and made it work again!
I say climb at will as i did, although it is a pretty average climb with a rail. Not much to look at either unless you want to see baron dirt from high up.
Most people who died there died from heat exhaustion or eaten by a dingo :grinning:. So take some water and climb in the morning and you will be fine.

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
I have climbed it and had a beer up there as well.

Am I going to hell now?

M

mofo sixx

how would you like it for example if a bunch of tourists sat on a war memorial drinking or walked all over it,

luke

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
got half way up when i was 8 and got scared thats when it was called ayers rock, have no problem with there request.

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
I haven't climbed Uluru but I have flown over it on a flight from Perth to Townsville (via
Alice Springs and Mt Isa) in the mid 80's....What an awesome sight.

Reaction score
i climbed to chicken rock my dad n brother went all the way up.

and if they didnt want ppl to climb it they shouldnt have stuck a railing on it hth

M

mofo sixx

i climbed to chicken rock my dad n brother went all the way up.

and if they didnt want ppl to climb it they shouldnt have stuck a railing on it hth
the ppl who installed the railing and the ppl who dont want you ppl climbing on it are 2 different groups of ppl

ppl

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Ever climbed it ? Nah
Know someone who has ? I know people who went, dont think they climbed though
What are your thoughts ? fair enough

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
CK is this thread a set up to get me banned?

I cannot answer this question honestly, sorry!!

:p

Reaction score
the ppl who installed the railing and the ppl who dont want you ppl climbing on it are 2 different groups of ppl

ppl

i know but the natives are the idiots who agreed to still let ppl walk on it so they could get their land back.

they should just remove the railings and tell the government to htfu now theyve said theyre sorry they can get their way.

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have I climbed it - no.

Have I seen it - no. :(

Do I think people should climb it - not if it disrespects the locals.

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
The natives like to pass out at the base of the rock.

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
hhaahahaha boots, reminds me of the locals passing out under the electronic door sensor at coles, so they get the cool breeze, but also the nice humid heat!!!

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
hhaahahaha boots, reminds me of the locals passing out under the electronic door sensor at coles, so they get the cool breeze, but also the nice humid heat!!!
LOL, dreamland :p

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
after a hundred green cans, that's just what it is!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.