U.S. Politics - Thread

U.S. Politics

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
The 8 most recent polls showed Biden with an average of 3-5 point lead in North Carolina. All were taken throughout October. However the most recent poll taken on 13th and 14th October shows Trump and Biden even.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The 8 most recent polls showed Biden with an average of 3-5 point lead in North Carolina. All were taken throughout October. However the most recent poll taken on 13th and 14th October shows Trump and Biden even.
This is the polls from your own link. It shows that Biden was higher in July but has been going up recently with him being at a 4 month peak 2 days ago and only dropping a little over the last 2 days.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
This is the polls from your own link. It shows that Biden was higher in July but has been going up recently with him being at a 4 month peak 2 days ago and only dropping a little over the last 2 days.

This is the average of all of the polls. Which I agree can be somewhat useful, but is not the point I was making.

The point is that the most current poll for North Carolina shows Trump and Biden even for North Carolina. It will be interesting to see the next poll or two and whether a trend starts to develop.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
That was North Carolina though. This is the poll of the National average over the last 3 months with Trump showing a slight upturn in the last 2 days

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Almost finished watching the Biden Town Hall - seems that ABC america did not have the testicles to ask him a single question about the most important topic right now - what did Joe Biden know about the Ukraine business dealings of his son. Did he ever meet the Burisma executive in DC and finally - why are there emails between his son and Burisma executives which appear to show that a meeting was (at the very least) organised to occur (or at worst) took place between Joe Biden and the Bursima exec.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
This is the average of all of the polls. Which I agree can be somewhat useful, but is not the point I was making.

The point is that the most current poll for North Carolina shows Trump and Biden even for North Carolina. It will be interesting to see the next poll or two and whether a trend starts to develop.
Different polls, different outcomes.

The most recent poll that has a tie (The Emerson poll) is the same poll that last time run had Biden ahead by 1 point, not 3-5 points.

The NY Times poll around the same time has Biden ahead by 4 points now. When the Emerson poll had Biden ahead by 1 point, the NY Times poll had Biden ahead by 1 point.

You can't look at one poll and say it's evident of anything especially when that poll only changed 1 point

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Almost finished watching the Biden Town Hall - seems that ABC america did not have the testicles to ask him a single question about the most important topic right now - what did Joe Biden know about the Ukraine business dealings of his son. Did he ever meet the Burisma executive in DC and finally - why are there emails between his son and Burisma executives which appear to show that a meeting was (at the very least) organised to occur (or at worst) took place between Joe Biden and the Bursima exec.
I'm trying to listen to it but it's annoying.

"OK, we're back from that 10 minute an ad break. We have another question for Mr Biden. But first we need to go to another 10 minute ad break"

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
From the Shovel...

Man Lines Up For 11 Hours For Chance To Vote In Greatest Democracy On Earth

A man has taken a day off work to stand in a voting line for eleven hours so he can take part in what is undisputedly the world’s greatest democracy.

Virginia man Derek Clayson said there was no other democracy in the world like it. “I woke up a 5am this morning, got in my car, drove 18 miles to the nearest voting booth because unfortunately they’ve removed all the ones near where I live, stood in line until 7pm then voted using a hole punch. You can’t do that in Europe,” he said.

Georgia voter Barbara Write agreed. “The great thing about our democracy is that absolutely everyone who has a secure enough job to be able to take time off work and is physically able to stand up all day gets to have their say. Everyone. What a democracy!”

She said other countries paled by comparison. “In other countries they only get to spend five or ten minutes voting – they’re not engaged in the process at all”.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Trump pretty much confirmed that he personally owes at least $400 million to creditors. When asked if some of those creditors were foreign entities he said, "Not that I'm aware"

When asked about the $750 he paid on tax he said:

“That’s a statutory number,” Mr. Trump said when Ms. Guthrie asked him about it. “I think it’s a filing number. You pay $750, it’s a filing fee.”

“Most people here probably pay more,” she replied.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
You can't look at one poll and say it's evident of anything especially when that poll only changed 1 point
I didn't say that it's evidence of anything except an interesting point of note. As I said it will be interesting to see if a trend develops.

Personally (just IMO), if the majority of polls in swing states have Biden only ahead by a few points, I think it's likely Trump will win, particularly given the polls track record of miscalculating the likely number of people who will vote and the number of democrat voters likely to vote.

IMO both numbers will be lower than anticipated, partly due to a lack of younger voters who will vote (therefore impacting the Biden vote) as well as the lack of overall voters across the country who will vote (which will play in Trump's favour).

Time will tell and one of us will be right in November and one will be wrong.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Trump pretty much confirmed that he personally owes at least $400 million to creditors. When asked if some of those creditors were foreign entities he said, "Not that I'm aware"

“That’s a statutory number,” Mr. Trump said when Ms. Guthrie asked him about it. “I think it’s a filing number. You pay $750, it’s a filing fee.”

If you're painting context.

Not a single person in that room has generated the thousands of jobs Trump has
Hardly anyone in that room will have paid the amount of property taxes Trump has
No one in that room will have paid the amount of payroll taxes Trump has

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score

and to be perfectly clear I have no issues with anyone minimising their tax (legally). Anyone who doesn't minimise their tax is an absolute idiot and deserves to be parted with their hard earned cash.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If you're painting context.

Not a single person in that room has generated the thousands of jobs Trump has
Hardly anyone in that room will have paid the amount of property taxes Trump has
No one in that room will have paid the amount of payroll taxes Trump has
Not a single person in that room is $400 million in debt

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
and to be perfectly clear I have no issues with anyone minimising their tax (legally). Anyone who doesn't minimise their tax is an absolute idiot and deserves to be parted with their hard earned cash.
Sure. As long as he did it legally. He's currently facing a potential $100 million tax fine over him declaring $75 million in taxes that may not have been legal declaration.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Not a single person in that room is $400 million in debt
It's called business. As a scientist you may be unaware, but all the top businesses and business people in the world have all taken on hundreds of millions of dollars in debt over their careers. What makes them great is they turn each $ of debt and multiply it into greater amounts of income and eventually profit if they're successful.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Trump one is the best to listen to. He pulls out the Dawgfather fake news:

Trump - "There's a study the other day that said that most people catch it wearing masks"

Guthrie - "I read that study. That's not what it said"

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
The Trump one is the best to listen to. He pulls out the Dawgfather fake news:

Trump - "There's a study the other day that said that most people catch it wearing masks"

Guthrie - "I read that study. That's not what it said"
The study does talk about more than half (well over half) of the participants catching the virus despite indicating to the researchers that they had worn a mask ALWAYS or often during the prior period. You're free to say that "It's because they went to restaurants or bars" but the outcome is the same.

Masks are not effective when normal people do normal things (like going out to eat and drink).

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The study does talk about more than half (well over half) of the participants catching the virus despite indicating to the researchers that they had worn a mask ALWAYS or often during the prior period. You're free to say that "It's because they went to restaurants or bars" but the outcome is the same.

Masks are not effective when normal people do normal things (like going out to eat and drink).
No. It doesn't say that at all. I pointed this out to you already in detail and you ignored it because it didn't match your pre-conceived bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.