Turvey Unwell

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Steve "Turvey" Mortimer was without doubt the best player I've seen play in the Blue and White, in my time, with Terry Lamb a very close 2nd. Lamb was the best team player I've seen, backed up on nearly every play and tackled more than most 5/8's should but that was TL, he wore his Bulldog heart on his sleeve. Turvey was a sensation when he came on the scene. Dynamite quick, blink and you'd miss him, best cover defender I've ever seen. Some of those cover defending tackles I saw in the 1980 GF against Easts were truly memorable.

I remember in his book, when he first came up from the Riverina and made it into first grade he played one of his earlier games against Wests and they had another player from the Riverina in their ranks, but he was a forward in Les Boyd, who would later head over to Manly. They knew one another from the country but Les had come to Sydney before Turvey and when Turvey tried one of his quick darts around the scrum to catch the opposition off guard, Boyd knew it and hammered Turvey and said, "Welcome to the Big League".

Steve Mortimer was also matched up with another speedster in "Slippery" Steve Morris in match races, the father of Josh and Brett, who was also lightning quick and proved faster than Turvey in these match races but that was all he had over him.

As a multiple Grand Final winner and the first successful NSW Captain, to win a State Of Origin Series it is a disgrace that he is NOT already immortalized as one of the best to have played the game.
Agreed Turvey always for me as he was a one club man
BaBa the second best ever

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve "Turvey" Mortimer was without doubt the best player I've seen play in the Blue and White, in my time, with Terry Lamb a very close 2nd. Lamb was the best team player I've seen, backed up on nearly every play and tackled more than most 5/8's should but that was TL, he wore his Bulldog heart on his sleeve. Turvey was a sensation when he came on the scene. Dynamite quick, blink and you'd miss him, best cover defender I've ever seen. Some of those cover defending tackles I saw in the 1980 GF against Easts were truly memorable.

I remember in his book, when he first came up from the Riverina and made it into first grade he played one of his earlier games against Wests and they had another player from the Riverina in their ranks, but he was a forward in Les Boyd, who would later head over to Manly. They knew one another from the country but Les had come to Sydney before Turvey and when Turvey tried one of his quick darts around the scrum to catch the opposition off guard, Boyd knew it and hammered Turvey and said, "Welcome to the Big League".

Steve Mortimer was also matched up with another speedster in "Slippery" Steve Morris in match races, the father of Josh and Brett, who was also lightning quick and proved faster than Turvey in these match races but that was all he had over him.

As a multiple Grand Final winner and the first successful NSW Captain, to win a State Of Origin Series it is a disgrace that he is NOT already in the immortalized as one of the best to have played the game.
During the semi finals of 79/80 Turvey played some of the best footy i have ever seen.

A 60 m try from the scrum base untouched.

A 60 m try from dummy half untouched in the same game against Cronulla.

A 30 m try defeating 5 or 6, again untouched against Parra which totally turned the game.

As well as copybook try saving cover tackles time after time.

These are just off the top of my head.

Opposing fans feared him at his best.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
During the semi finals of 79/80 Turvey played some of the best footy i have ever seen.

A 30 m try defeating 5 or 6, again untouched against Parra which totally turned the game.

I only started following the "Berries" around 1976/77. I was a young teenager when we won in 1980 so I didn't get to many matches but you were spoilt for choice with Radio Broadcasts. I forget the ABC radio broadcaster but I'd listen to either Frank Hyde on 2SM or the ex referee in Col Pearce on 2UE then Hollywood Hartley and Zorba came along and broadcast on 2GB and they were great together, especially Greg Hartley who was an avid Bulldog Fan.

Last edited:

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only started following the "Berries" around 1976/77. I was a young teenager when we won in 1980 so I didn't get to many matches but you were spoilt for choice with Radio Broadcasts. I forget the ABC radio broadcaster but I'd listen to either Frank Hyde on 2SM or the ex referee in Col Pearce on 2UE then Hollywood Hartley and Zorba came along and broadcast on 2GB and they were great together, especially Greg Hartley who was an avid Bulldog Fan.
Mate i sat on the hill at the SCG for all the games during 79/80 semi finals and grand final.

Remember it like it was yesterday. Those tries were something i will never forget. Simply electrifying speed off the mark.

Rex Mossip called those games, he was great. You can catch them on youtube. Well worth the watch.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

I was there as a kid in 79 for semis against Wests & Cronulla. Turvey was unbelievable in both final series in 79 & 80, you are spot on there.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd take Turvey over Sterlo any day.
100% agree. Sterlo had a great read for the game and his kicking game was the best in the game during his playing days but he had a great team of players around him that gelled to form a very strong forward pack backed up with the best back line in the game from 81 to 83.

I always thought Brett Kenny was as good as any five eight I've seen, he could do anything but Sterlo seemed to get more adulation due mostly to his kicking game. He never had the pace or brilliance that Turvey had and as far as defence goes Turvey had it all over Sterlo, who'd relied on his forward pack a lot, well at least when he was playing against us as he'd only come in late to slow down the attack.

Both were greats of our game and Sterlo's knowledge of the game is amazing in his commentary but I feel he was pushed a LOT more during his playing days due to the Ray "Rabbits" Warren being a one eyed Parramatta Eels supporter and great friend and colleague of Sterlo's over so many years at Channel 9.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Rugby league greats do lunch to help Steve Mortimer.

Fierce foes on the field, but great mates off of it, a host of rugby league greats are coming together weekly to talk about old times and give an old mate a boost.

Rugby league legends are rallying around the great Steve ‘Turvey’ Mortimer as he battles dementia in a Sydney nursing facility.

Old opponents of the former champion halfback, who is now 65, are catching up regularly to chat about the good old days and memories from club footy, grand finals, Origin and Kangaroo tours.

“It’s really special,” said Turvey’s brother Peter Mortimer. “Once the heat of battle is over there’s nothing but respect among the players.

“That’s the great thing about rugby league, the mateship once you walk off the football field. Turvey is admired and respected across the game, not just at the Bulldogs.”

Peter Mortimer, Turvey’s son Andrew, Bulldogs welfare official Luke Goodwin and former commentator Barry Ross approached Canterbury chairman John Khoury recently about the club hosting a private weekly lunch.

It’s all about giving Turvey a break from the aged-care facility and jogging his delicate memory around footy stories from the 1980s when he was such a wonderful player and an absolute excitement machine.
Last week it was St George legends Steve Edge, ‘Lord’ Ted Goodwin, Craig Young and Robert Finch.

“Steve really sparked up hearing Albert (Craig Young) talk about old Kangaroo tours,” Peter Mortimer said. “And he could remember a lot of it. They were great times.”

This week it’s the Bulldogs’ turn with Terry Lamb, Greg Brentnall, Bob McCarthy, George Peponis and Geoff Robinson lined up for a lunch.

Then it’s Peter Wynn, Eric Grothe and Peter Sterling from the Parramatta Eels.

“Guru (Grothe) was so proud to be invited he was nearly crying on the phone,” Luke Goodwin said.

Old Balmain Tigers Steve ‘Blocker’ Roach, Benny Elias and Paul Sironen will go the following week.

Turvey even visited the SCG last week for a private lunch with independent Commission chairman Peter V’landys, Chris Mortimer and old teammate Steve Gearin, who scored the miraculous try for the Bulldogs in the 1980 grand final against Easts – arguably the most famous of all time.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He was the best "Chip Over The Top & Re-Gather" player the game ever produced IMO. Did it more successfully & more often than anyone.
It's sad that no players try this anymore.

Also the best ever "Cover Defending Half" the game has ever produced IMO.
He'd cut them down around the boot laces & they'd fall fast. Not many would sneak past him.
Remember that tackle on Eric grothe.Turvey came from no where and tackled him and put him into touch.have some great memories watching Turvey and baa back at belmore in the 80s