Turvey Unwell

MoNkEy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the best Turvey.

There can be no doubt now about the link between sustained/severe head knocks and this insidious disease.

The NRL must continue to crack down hard on any player attacking the head of an opposing player.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know about the causes but I have known/known of many people that suffered with dementia, including my nan. The longer you live, the more you thank every day you don't deal with the myriad of awful diseases/conditions that we can get. I've had relos die from motor neuron disease, parkinson's, leukemia etc etc. Sad to hear about Turvey, but reality is it's probably a good chance that most of us will deal with that or something just as fucked. Sorry to be a downer, but enjoy your health while you've got it.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Royce Simmons and Turvey suffering health issues at the moment :(.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Turvey was an inspiring player to watch. He was overshadowed by the show pony from Parramatta because the cameras loved Sterlo's long golden locks (he had hair in those days); but Turvey was the perfect halfback for the Dogs, and the rivalry between us and Eels during that decade made the game entertaining, even if you didn't follow either team.

So sad that he is declining in such a terrible way.

PS I heard from someone close to Robbo a few weeks ago. He seems to be on the improve and put back some of the weight he had lost.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turvey was an inspiring player to watch. He was overshadowed by the show pony from Parramatta because the cameras loved Sterlo's long golden locks (he had hair in those days); but Turvey was the perfect halfback for the Dogs, and the rivalry between us and Eels during that decade made the game entertaining, even if you didn't follow either team.

PS I heard from someone close to Robbo a few weeks ago. He seems to be on the improve and put back some of the weight he had lost.
He was the best "Chip Over The Top & Re-Gather" player the game ever produced IMO. Did it more successfully & more often than anyone.
It's sad that no players try this anymore.

Also the best ever "Cover Defending Half" the game has ever produced IMO.
He'd cut them down around the boot laces & they'd fall fast. Not many would sneak past him.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wasn’t alive for it but how isn’t Turvey crashing onto his knees after finally winning origin one of the top 3 moments in league history.
As Captain of NSW no less, its one of my favourite storys about Turvey. On the way to the match at Lang Park Steve had the bus slow down and then stop in front of the Caxton Hotel. All the drunken Qld supporters (god bless em) were banging, spitting on the bus and screaming obscenitys at all the Blues players.

Turvey got up and yelled at his team mates to "listen to the *****" they hate your guts and want to smash you. Lets go and smash them instead. And the rest is history

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I still remember when he and Dr George would hang out with us in the Army.

Also got a thank you call from him after catching the little fuck that threw that big bunger in the stands.

Get well soon, Immortal.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
All the best Turvey.

There can be no doubt now about the link between sustained/severe head knocks and this insidious disease.

The NRL must continue to crack down hard on any player attacking the head of an opposing player.
It‘s a pity the ARL didn’t crack down on Tommy Raudonikis, who got Turvey with Head High Tackles on numerous occasions. One in particular at Henson Park, had my blood boiling. Turvey fed the scrum and it went right through and out the other side. He went around to retrieve the ball and whooshka Raudonikis coat hangered him. The three men empowered with controlling the game didn’t see it apparently, and Bullfrog didn’t believe in citing opposing players after games.

Are head knocks linked to dementia? We don‘t know,but we can be suspicious.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Turvey wrote about this in his book Top Dog. He and Wally Lewis were the incumbent half and five eighth in the home test matches in 1982 against France. When they went away for the Kanagoo Tour later that year, Turvey and Wally never got a chance to play together behind what was obviously going to be the test pack, which played in the weekend games, Sterling and Kenny got that opportunity, while Turvey and Wally played all the mid week games. Wally got a run as a reserve in the tests while Turvey carried the water bucket.

Turvey thought Ray Price got in the ear of coach Frank Stanton before the first game, but my interpretation when I read the book, was that while it might have been Price who was responsible, Turvey has no time for Stanton, and I would not be surprised if that is still the situation until this day.

I remember talking to Turvey’s father Ian at Redfern Oval, the next season about it, and he was filthy with Stanton Because he was never given an opportunity with the weekend team behind the test pack.

I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at that Kangaroo Tour re- unions.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Turvey wrote about this in his book Top Dog. He and Wally Lewis were the incumbent half and five eighth in the home test matches in 1982 against France. When they went away for the Kanagoo Tour later that year, Turvey and Wally never got a chance to play together behind what was obviously going to be the test pack, which played in the weekend games, Sterling and Kenny got that opportunity, while Turvey and Wally played all the mid week games. Wally got a run as a reserve in the tests while Turvey carried the water bucket.

Turvey thought Ray Price got in the ear of coach Frank Stanton before the first game, but my interpretation when I read the book, was that while it might have been Price who was responsible, Turvey has no time for Stanton, and I would not be surprised if that is still the situation until this day.

I remember talking to Turvey’s father Ian at Redfern Oval, the next season about it, and he was filthy with Stanton Because he was never given an opportunity with the weekend team behind the test pack.

I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at that Kangaroo Tour re- unions.
I recall a discussion in the 90's with Bullfrog where he was still livid with Dennis Fitzgerald and Jack Gibson who had a lot to do with influencing Stanton to pick Stirling and Kenney over Mortimer and Lewis.

Always a Bulldog