Tries off kicks should be worth less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know it's been raised before.
But what about 3 points and no conversion?
Totally agree with this. It takes more brutality, strength , vision and team work to score a try from punching through than having some fairy kick a ball and a drugged up winger to score.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
We won a grand final off a perfect kick to Steve Gearin against St. George; and that started a string of Bulldog premierships. Let's leave things alone, and perfect our kicking game.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
How about we get rid of golden point?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you want to look at a rule change, why can't a double movement be a legitimate try? A player can advance the ball anywhere else on the field, and the effort to plant it over the line is just as hard with a second attempt, and little different from advancing the ball if a player's arm hasn't touched the ground.

I'd also look at reforming the strip rule to zero tackle instead of a penalty, and make charge downs deliberate knock ons.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
is this because we can't score off kicks?

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
here is an idea: trys against the dogs should be worth zero points.
I have done the calcs on your proposal

We would have finished on 46 points won 21 lost 3 + 208 points
The storm finished this year 44 points won 20 lost 4 + 297 points

6 of those games won by 4 points or less !

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We won a grand final off a perfect kick to Steve Gearin against St. George; and that started a string of Bulldog premierships. Let's leave things alone, and perfect our kicking game.
That try and premiership will live in my memory forever.
But back then tries of kicks were much rarer and not that many were "lucky"

While I just floated the idea and it's out there. I still think that many tries off kicks these days are just a lottery and many 'lucky" tries are awarded.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have done the calcs on your proposal

We would have finished on 46 points won 21 lost 3 + 208 points
The storm finished this year 44 points won 20 lost 4 + 297 points

6 of those games won by 4 points or less !

*stands up and applauds*

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the idea. Tries off kicks reduced to 3 points and watch the teams start running the ball. Also get rid of the 7 tackle rule which will encourage them to kick.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If you want to look at a rule change, why can't a double movement be a legitimate try? A player can advance the ball anywhere else on the field, and the effort to plant it over the line is just as hard with a second attempt, and little different from advancing the ball if a player's arm hasn't touched the ground.

I'd also look at reforming the strip rule to zero tackle instead of a penalty, and make charge downs deliberate knock ons.
There are two modern rules i'd get rid of:

1. Stripping - No penalty for a strip. Players might then have to actually hold the football.
2. Obstruction - Its becoming a joke, and had pretty much ruined the classic decoy runner. All this crap about outside/inside shoulder.... Go back to the old shepherd rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.