Trial Team News Bulldogs VS Knights

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems to have fallen out of favour - part of the top 30 but part timers were given minutes ahead of him.
I'll have to check nrl stats, but I don't remember seeing Dale-Doyle get on either, and Stuckey I noticed once, so I don't think he got long. I reckon Baz kept the first team on longer than initially planned, because they had such limited possession to judge them on.

Kiraz, Toia and Eli Clark all got decent minutes. Hoffman did also. He looked promising, as did Toia.

Last edited:

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then you blame the coach, pretty simple. He's the one that makes the decision around play style, selections, etc. He's also previously failed at Manly and had issues around player management. That's if you believe we're going to approach competition games the same way we approached a trial.
i get what you're saying about approaching competition games the same as trial games and i also acknowledge that we were missing some class players last night that will no doubt improve the team as a whole. i dont blame baz for the performance last night, i do blame the players - notably Okunbor, Averillo and Waddell. I will however blame baz if Okunbor and Waddell are picked again. If he wants to be recognised as a first grade coach then he needs to be able to make the decisions to drop weak links for the benefit of the team and not worry about hurting feelings. Averillo surely gets another chance purely because there really isnt anybody better but i'm sure by baz's comments last night he wasn't happy with the way he played. its on him to either teach him or make the necessary changes for next monday BEFORE the competition starts so we dont go into the year chopping and changing again

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll have to check nrl stats, but I don't remember seeing Dale-Doyle get on either, and Stuckey I noticed once, so I don't think he got long. I reckon Baz kept the first team,on ponger than initially planned, because they had such limited possession to judge them on.

Kiraz, Toia and Eli Clark all got decent minutes. Hoffman did also. He looked promising, as did Toia.
Tend to agree I sensed that due to the mistakes and generally poor performances the original plan was thrown away - thats why the top squad came back in the second half.-

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then you blame the coach, pretty simple. He's the one that makes the decision around play style, selections, etc. He's also previously failed at Manly and had issues around player management. That's if you believe we're going to approach competition games the same way we approached a trial.
I'm hoping that he uses what he saw in the trial for the purposes trials serve. To fuck off the plodders. That remains to be seen if he'll do that. He obviously strongly believes that Avo is the 7. He doesn't have an obvious alternative option after last night though, so he'll be taking a risk whichever way he goes. I just hope he gives bbo a chance. He's shown more threat and has more potential imo.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
THe first half the squad had very little possession and what they did have didnt do much with it. In the last 25 minutes of second half the squad had plenty of possession n field position but did very little with the ball. None of the halves played well.

Having the lock (Jackson/ Stimson) distributing the ball doesnt help - would prefer the halves geting the ball one off and deciing what to do - even if they just straighten n run.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tend to agree I sensed that due to the mistakes and generally poor performances the original plan was thrown away - thats why the top squad came back in the second half.-
Yeah well we only had 30% possession for most of the first half. I know I was thinking that we haven't got much idea on the new look team from such little possession and that's the main point of a trial. To see how new players and combinations etc. work in a real match situation. If we had gotten several more sets I think he would have changed the team at halftime.

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He played pretty decent minutes in the NSW Cup trial.

Always a Bulldog
Oh ok, it wasnt televised but i just found brief info saying the reserves trial happened before main one. Cheers.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
i get what you're saying about approaching competition games the same as trial games and i also acknowledge that we were missing some class players last night that will no doubt improve the team as a whole. i dont blame baz for the performance last night, i do blame the players - notably Okunbor, Averillo and Waddell. I will however blame baz if Okunbor and Waddell are picked again. If he wants to be recognised as a first grade coach then he needs to be able to make the decisions to drop weak links for the benefit of the team and not worry about hurting feelings. Averillo surely gets another chance purely because there really isnt anybody better but i'm sure by baz's comments last night he wasn't happy with the way he played. its on him to either teach him or make the necessary changes for next monday BEFORE the competition starts so we dont go into the year chopping and changing again
This might be the first time for the fans seeing the players but it's not that for the coach and his staff. Baz has spent an entire preseason with the boys and seen them almost daily and ran numerous opposed sessions, I don't know why people think a trial is going to suddenly change his opinion or highlight key problems.

Like I've said there's no point in getting worked up until we actually see us play in the real thing, people also have to accept the reality that we're not a top 8 side and are infact a bottom 4 side right now. This season is all about continuing to develop and fighting in the contest to the point that we start to look like a top 8 side, then maybe if we have a bit of luck and have a few things go our way we maybe find ourselves in and around that final 8 position.

Shreksno1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
where to start?

Dufty was good for us with the cut out pass try assist for Okunbor and his own try... Okunbor has such bad hands, I doubt he could handle a wank... Declan Casey made good decisions in defence... an inauspicious start from Alamoti with a bad missed tackle leading to a Knights try, a dropped ball and then getting run down by the Knights half... Schoupp was game... the other three quarters did not have much to do... would be interesting to see Creedence in the open

we do not have a FG standard halfback at the club... Averillo's kicking and decision making was poor... Wakeham kicked better but his decision making was poor, too... Flanagan is still - well - Flanagan... not a particularly good outing for BBO but I think he has the most potential

Thompson, Vaughn, King and Seumanafagai were good... Patolo okay... Waddell had a poor read in defence leading to a Knights try... TPJ was strong in the contact defensively but lacked punched when carrying the ball but the halves did little for him... Jackson with a Jackson like performance

Stimson is a waste of space... pains me watching him play for us

JMK was good... Cook was good with his instincts but his service was not great and he was playing against substandard opposition

we are not a threat until we fix up our spine... so, Mahoney in 2023 and a halfback

we had set after set at 16-16 on the Knights line with 10-12 minutes to go and didn't even look close to scoring

Barrett the offensively gifted coach is a myth
Hi buzz

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was hoping Baz would give Mavoni some game time, I guess hes keeping him fresh for the next game.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Overall i thought our defense was good, with Newcastle's tries coming from individual mistakes.

Burton will play much more directly, and force the defensive line to make decisions, opening up options out wide. Everything was sideways last night.

As far as i know we received no injuries.

Max King was close to best forward on the field, and is bigger than i thought.

Not a bad trial in my opinion.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Trial matches do give fringe players an opportunity to impress.
- Cook had a solid game with glimpses of vision. Not certain about his defense. A maybe .. needs more time. 11 tackles 1 miss
- King - the most impressive of the bunch, looking to off load with every run
- Hoffman . Was surprise with his solid effort in attack & defense.
- Glad our forwards were not dominated tonight. Been along time since we had a mongrel pack
- Schoupp goal kicking.
Not so good.
- Thompson . Not much in attack & missed a few in defense. Need much more bang for the money he is on 26 tackles 0 misses 2 HU 16m (we had no ball whilst he was on)
- BBO . Thought he would step up & make a claim for the 7 jersey. Just did not quite happen today. Still think he is the best option at HB.
- still too many simple hit up in the Newcastle scoring zone.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bro he can slip himself back to reserve grade. Useless.
Might have to if he proves he aint developing... The kid had the whole preseason at 7 and then he dishes up that clueless shit. definitely aint doing himself any favours.