Trent Hodkinson says chat with Canterbury coach Des Hasler sparked form turnaround

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Trent Hodkinson says chat with Canterbury coach Des Hasler sparked form turnaround

Trent Hodkinson has revealed a heart-to-heart with Bulldogs coach Des Hasler helped him to turn around his post-Origin dip in form.

Hodkinson stepped up in the absence of suspended halves partner Josh Reynolds to steer Canterbury to a crucial win over Parramatta.

By his own assessment, Hodkinson's form has been down following the interstate series as the Bulldogs lost four consecutive matches to jeopardise their finals chances.

The former Sea Eagles No.7 turned to Hasler to help him rediscover the spark he displayed before and during the interstate series.

Advertisement
"I went to Des and told him to look over my game and he did that," Hodkinson said.

"He came back to me and said 'we haven't had too much of the footy in the last few weeks, so don't be too tough on yourself'.

"That has been our problem, we've been coughing up too much footy and not completing our sets. I'm pretty hard on myself as an individual and take losses pretty hard.

''A win is definitely going to help and hopefully push [us] in the right direction for the finals."

Hodkinson said he had a new appreciation of how hard it is to stay mentally and physically fresh after the rigours of Origin.

"I've been a bit off post-Origin," he said.

"Obviously you take the losses pretty bad when you're the halfback. You're copping all the criticism that comes with the position and the game.

"I've got to improve on my game week in and week out and hopefully take some form into the finals and help the team as best I can."

Youngster Moses Mbye played his sixth NRL game on Friday night, just days after celebrating his 21st birthday. It was the first time he started at five-eighth, a position he will hold until Reynolds' return in three weeks' time.

"It was good, every kid's dream," he said of playing in his preferred No.6 jersey.

"I enjoyed it and appreciate it, I'm looking forward to a couple more games in the jersey.

"It's good [playing with Hodkinson], he's the Origin halfback and one of the best halves in the game. It makes your job so much easier to play outside. It's really comfortable and I'm learning a lot off him."

Asked about playing with Mbye, Hodkinson said: "He's a great young talent and is still only 21. I thought he handled himself real good tonight, he loves the physicality of the game and has got a good kicking and passing game.

"I thought we went well and with Josh being out for another couple of weeks we're going to have to keep the momentum going."

After struggling to get through their sets during their losing streak, the Bulldogs completed 33 of their 37 opportunities with the ball. They also had to hold out Parramatta, who threatened to steal the result in the dying minutes.

Their next assignment is against Wests Tigers on Thursday night, before finishing off clashes against South Sydney and Gold Coast.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...-sparked-form-turnaround-20140816-104wx5.html

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I would have thought Des may have given that advice about 4 weeks ago

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
We were far from great but a win is a win. Moses got a run which is great!

DOGGIESSTYLE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He almost single handily gave eels the chance to steal the win

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Des has to get rid of whatever Daley taught Hodko. PreDaley Hodko was much better!

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trent Hodkinson says chat with Canterbury coach Des Hasler sparked form turna...

He turned nothing around! He was awful!
1,6,7 and 9 we have nothing in key attacking positions can't even bomb or kick cross field with the ball landing near the try line always at the 10 m line at best

Our last tackle kicks and plays are amatuer

Malla

Reaction score
Hodko was awesome. The knock on was unlucky, was caught by surprise.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fark ! Some of you ***** are hard to please ! He kept us in front, in that game. Make no mistake, the eels were coming for us in that second half.
For about 20 minutes, our forwards got rolled and we barely made it over the 30m. It was hodkos kicking that kept us in it, he kept it away from hayne and found the ground.
He had a couple of shit kicks at the end of the game but also nearly sealed it for us by taking on the line.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We were far from great but a win is a win. Moses got a run which is great!
I disagree,
I think everyone are not understanding how good parra were and how desperate both teams were for the win,
I thought the dogs were generally solid in most aspects of the game,
I think the main area we need to address is attacking flare,
We offer nothing in attack,
Scoring points is very poor and it is evident when you look at the ladder and look at our points for compared to other teams,

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
I sometimes wonder if some of the people on this forum are actually Bulldogs supporters. I have never seen a place so constantly negative, even after a win.

Must lead some pretty sad lives to be so upset all the time

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
What form turnaround?

C

choice

1,6,7 and 9 we have nothing in key attacking positions can't even bomb or kick cross field with the ball landing near the try line always at the 10 m line at best

Our last tackle kicks and plays are amatuer
Agree, we had so many sets on their line in the last 20 and hodkinson kicks were woeful, it almost cost us the game in the end.
that's the difference between the teams, our last play kicks are far and away the worst in the top8.
every team come finals will play mistake free footy. We still can't points which is going to be a major issue if we make the finals.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
What form turnaround?
Exactly hokko was ordinary ,lots of improvement needed from him ,hokko and josh r need to stop doing feel good bullshit media stories and perform on the field

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He got unlucky not scoring that match sealing try but he was being dragged back by a big man with power and it was one handed so very close.

Exactly hokko was ordinary ,lots of improvement needed from him ,hokko and josh r need to stop doing feel good bullshit media stories and perform on the field
I do agree but we need more good media for the club to make it even more marketable.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I disagree,
I think everyone are not understanding how good parra were and how desperate both teams were for the win,
I thought the dogs were generally solid in most aspects of the game,
I think the main area we need to address is attacking flare,
We offer nothing in attack,
Scoring points is very poor and it is evident when you look at the ladder and look at our points for compared to other teams,
And that's exactly my point. First 20 minutes we were all over them in dominate fashion BUT we lacked players who could convert the possession and turn it into points. This is a concern as the question IS now can we score enough points to compete against a team like souths? This is why I say a win is a win but Des will need to find points from somewhere and someone and very quick. I wish Moses double pump pass to T-rex had come off cause it was a real good play and sign.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
And that's exactly my point. First 20 minutes we were all over them in dominate fashion BUT we lacked players who could convert the possession and turn it into points. This is a concern as the question IS now can we score enough points to compete against a team like souths? This is why I say a win is a win but Des will need to find points from somewhere and someone and very quick. I wish Moses double pump pass to T-rex had come off cause it was a real good play and sign.
Yeah mate, it's a massive concern, and one I share with you without dispute,

Darn that ends that discussion, i was looking forward to you would post something I could argue against, oh well, lol,

C

choice

Footy isn't rocket science, we need repeats of six to build pressure.
simple plays like the warriors use manering, storm with Hoffman. Trex can play that role. Short flat balls of mbye.
as everyone has stated on here, if we can't get repeat sets of six, we can't win with our style of play. If hodkinson can't improve his kicking game then we need other options.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Yeah mate, it's a massive concern, and one I share with you without dispute,

Darn that ends that discussion, i was looking forward to you would post something I could argue against, oh well, lol,
Funny that, I could tell you were looking for an argument lol. Sorry to disappoint you!

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just saw stats on footy show in the wins against storm and manly completion rates 85/86% in the 4 losses between 59% -72% or something like that so no surprise des stopped them offloading the other night

Status
Not open for further replies.