Trent hodkinson coming good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its only been one game, looking forward to next year when the Knights beat us in golden point with 'super boot'.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Your taking the piss?
oh sorry I forgot thurstons amazing kicking game has got them zero premierships and zero runner ups .

Hodko is consistently solid once he cuts his short

Bulldog John

Since 1935
Reaction score
Only thing we'll miss is his defence. I think his game will go downhill very quickly at Newcastle.

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh sorry I forgot thurstons amazing kicking game has got them zero premierships and zero runner ups .

Hodko is consistently solid once he cuts his short
Thurston won a premiership with the Dogs, albeit off the bench, and at the end of the day its in the history books.

I CBF investigating into his trophy cabinet which off the top of my head consists of a few Dally M Awards, multiple SOO series wins, Kangaroos, etc, etc, etc

Hodko has won sweet fark all with us and has 1 SOO series to his name and by the looks of it he will have a wooden spoon with the Knights.

Seriously, in what correct world can you compare TH to JT?

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Comparing Hodkinson and Thurston..

What's next, Perrett > Hayne?

FYI, Thurston has got a runners up medal in the '05 GF with the Cowboys

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
If he can kick field goals like that then he should be kicking at least one 20/40 every game and his last tackle kicks should be better.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Strong rumour going around that Hodko will be rested this coming week with Mbye and Reynolds our sole halves.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think he will be rested.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Though it would be nice. Hokko did good last week, but seemed to be on cruise control after his line break.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Though it would be nice. Hokko did good last week, but seemed to be on cruise control after his line break.
32 receives and only 4 kicks. Done **** all as a half really. If he didn't slip through during that run everyone on here would be hammering him saying he was shit and they never want to see him in fg again. His defence was strong though.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
32 receives and only 4 kicks. Done **** all as a half really. If he didn't slip through during that run everyone on here would be hammering him saying he was shit and they never want to see him in fg again. His defence was strong though.
How does that compare to Reynolds? He seemed a lot more involved. He is still a poor man's Austin. I was calling for us to recruit Austin since I heard he Tigers were letting him go! He would've been a great fullback!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
How does that compare to Reynolds? He seemed a lot more involved. He is still a poor man's Austin. I was calling for us to recruit Austin since I heard he Tigers were letting him go! He would've been a great fullback!
Reynolds 46 receives for 12 kicks, completely outplayed Trent in terms of involvement and i will leave it at that lol. Yh Austin is a handly player, but Williams has been massive and i think without him then Austin would flop in the longrun.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think a lot of pressure was just lifted off Hodkinsons shoulders with his new contract and hopefully he plays well enough for the rest of the season to silence his critics. He will never be counted as a running halfback, but he makes up for that with other attributes that are balanced by having an instinctive running half in the side with him IMO. He is one of only a few halves that can plot a field goal, either by kicking himself or by getting it to a better placed halves partner. And i think that his short kicking game is better than he gets credit for. If he was a bit more quick and elusive he would be close to the complete package, but speed is his major downside. I think at times we will miss his cool head next year.

My only concern is that we're probably lacking an organizer next season. I think Mbye and Reynolds are both opportunists, both can do some playmaking but probably prefer to play by instinct and in broken field than to plot where the ball needs to be in two tackles time. My pet hate for Mbye is that he often removes himself from kicking duties by getting tackled on the fourth which adds pressure to the other half. Reynolds started last year having come ahead leaps and bounds in his ability to place good short kicks but has probably regressed a bit early this year. Lichaa is coming along nicely and may assume some more responsibility for steering the ship with time, but for now he doesn't seem to fill that role too much. In time the side may work out that they have to support his scoots from dummy half, but for now he often goes alone and that reduces the advantage. They're all areas we need to improve this year and next.

I think next year our game plan is going to have to change again with Hodkinson gone. The style we used in 2012 is never going to be as effective since they changed the decoy rules but i think that we're going to have to revert to a style similar, that is more reliant on creating lots of chances to break the line through frequent ball movement. Everybody in the side needs to work hard on support play for that to work well.

I'm not giving up on this year though. I think we can take out the premiership if we get our act together.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im not a hokko fan at all but he was pretty good last game ,mbye has been a bit flat last 3 weeks so lets see if dessies rest is a masterstroke

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Do you think it was the wrong decision to let him go, he looks like he is starting to come good slowly and he looked more comfortable last night. Do you think moses mbye is capable of being an effective number 7 next year as an organiser?
Hodkinson starting to come good? We must have been watching different games.

Status
Not open for further replies.