Trent Hodkinson - Bulldogs Captain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
After witnessing the way the Hodko has handled the media since coming into Origin I have thought...wow this guy is a natural. If we were to look at what characteristics a club would look for in a captain, Hodko seems to possess most of all the right sort of credentials. Hes calm and level headed. He doesnt seem to panic on the field. Sure at times he seems a bit quiet on the field but this year as his form has seemingly got better his confidence has improved and you can now see him directing players behind the ruck to where he wants them. Him and grub ran the origin training sessions, and as HE is the organiser, I suspect it was mainly Trent rather than grub.

Hes a clean skin. You never hear of him getting into trouble off the field. Hes level headed, doesnt talk crap and no doubt greatly respected by the other players for what he has come back from, and what he has been able to achieve. He doesnt seem to be the type to engage in any sort of niggle. He doesnt seem to be the type that would play infantile practical jokes on team mates. Hes not the type of guy that wants to get laughs by putting someone else down. Rather I see him as the type of guy that would say to team mates...follow me....and get a positive response.

Hes got close to a few kids doing it tough, like lots of players have I know, but its just the mark of the man that he does genuinely care. He was very complementary to Brett Tate today on the footy, understanding what thoughts Tate would be going through now and hoped that he can stick it out after his knee reconstruction and make a return to first grade - 'because hes a really good player'. He didnt have to say that but he just genuinely cares.

Trent is a true gentleman. I know Pritchard will resume the captaincy when he returns from injury next season, but in all honesty, Id hope to see Trent made co captain. I know others will press for Grub or Graham from the point of view of passion, but truly no one can question the passion Trent has for the Dogs and in Trent, I believe the Dogs have a potential face of the NRL on their hands. So what better way to position ourselves in the league community than having Trent also being the Bulldogs captain and thereby the Face of the Bulldogs. A clean image is what every club dreams of to be able to secure the big sponsorship deals.

For mine - Trent Hodkinson c.

Any thoughts?

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He would be a great captain but not quite yet.

I would rather he concentrate & keep developing his game rather then do the additional stuff a captain does.

Captains for me would be Franky & Bupa!

dogs_of_war89

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Let frank take over for atleast another year and then hokko can take over. He is the leader on the field so y not put thhe c next to his namr when time is right

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Everyone pretty much summed up my thoughts. Let him get comfortable for another year then give him the captaincy.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Let frank take over for atleast another year and then hokko can take over. He is the leader on the field so y not put thhe c next to his namr when time is right
Being a captain is not just on the field these days. They do have a lot of media stuff they must attend.

Kas would make the funniest captain.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
James Graham, James Graham and only James Graham as captain from next year onwards.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think the captain should wear the "C" on the sleeve. Also why dont players have there names on the jersey except in SOO? I think each player at the start of the year should have a number assigned to them with there name on the jersey

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Love Hokko but Graham, week in, week out, is our real captain.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Pritchard can't be Captain (sole captain at least) because he spends too much time on the sidelines.

Hodkinson needs to become more vocal to be captain IMO

marsh43

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No names on back because we have a sponsor there instead

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
If James Graham was captain we would be the first team with subtitles for post match press conferences.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If James Graham was captain we would be the first team with subtitles for post match press conferences.
I've never had trouble understanding him. I think he's quite eloquent for a prop

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Would be great "well we gave these fooking counts a right hammering today "

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We need a captain who can talk to the referees without upsetting them, I hate using this example, but Cam Smith vs Paul Gallen in Origin, When Gallen talks to the ref's it is pure emotion, when smith did, he actually thought about his answers. When the NSW Player got punched in SOO 2, not once did Gallen remind the ref's of the edict that punches = a sin bin, but I guarantee Smith would have.

I love Pritchard and Graham, but I don't think they will fill this role

As to who, I don't know

Status
Not open for further replies.