Trent Hodkinson - 2013 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah that's right, atleast he has been given the chance either way after his injuries. It's up to him now.
To be fair, it's Ben Roberts all over again,
I think ultimately punting Ben Roberts was the correct decision by the Bulldogs,
he did nothing after leaving the dogs, I know he played in a woefull eels team, but his personal form was terrible at best for NRL standard and no other club wanted him, considering half backs are hard to find these days, it goes to show how bad he really is, even DJ got picked up by the Sharks.

same can be said for Trent,
Just like Ben Roberts, there is good football in both players, potential is there in both of them to be competent Nrl halfbacks, they just, for some reason tent to be very good and very poor even in the same game, just like Toupau.

If Trent has another below par performance this year, I personally would back our club if they decide to move him on, just like Ben Roberts.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
To be fair, it's Ben Roberts all over again,
I think ultimately punting Ben Roberts was the correct decision by the Bulldogs,
he did nothing after leaving the dogs, I know he played in a woefull eels team, but his personal form was terrible at best for NRL standard and no other club wanted him, considering half backs are hard to find these days, it goes to show how bad he really is, even DJ got picked up by the Sharks.

same can be said for Trent,
Just like Ben Roberts, there is good football in both players, potential is there in both of them to be competent Nrl halfbacks, they just, for some reason tent to be very good and very poor even in the same game, just like Toupau.

If Trent has another below par performance this year, I personally would back our club if they decide to move him on, just like Ben Roberts.
Yeah I see your comparrison but my differences in that would be that Roberts had more than ample opportunity if not too much to cement the position and make it his own but to be honest he just wasn't good. He had his moments as you said but they were so rare. I liked Roberts but you just can't waste one of the most important spots on the team. Trent I will grant his injuries which is only fair and would consider last season to be his first as for showing his abilities, for me he was above average with signs of being adequate for the job. I hope that doesn't sound too harsh as I want Trent to succeed. For me and I am sure everyone else if there is top line halbacks available in 2015 then Trent will need an outstanding season this year to keep the position. He will easily need to take control this year and grab it by the balls otherwise we will need to move in another direction. IMO

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah I see your comparrison but my differences in that would be that Roberts had more than ample opportunity if not too much to cement the position and make it his own but to be honest he just wasn't good. He had his moments as you said but they were so rare. I liked Roberts but you just can't waste one of the most important spots on the team. Trent I will grant his injuries which is only fair and would consider last season to be his first as for showing his abilities, for me he was above average with signs of being adequate for the job. I hope that doesn't sound too harsh as I want Trent to succeed. For me and I am sure everyone else if there is top line halbacks available in 2015 then Trent will need an outstanding season this year to keep the position. He will easily need to take control this year and grab it by the balls otherwise we will need to move in another direction. IMO
Yeah, so you basically saying what I said, if I read your comment correctly?
And I think Trent musk know this, and no doubt Des has discussed this with Trent, so I guess, given an injury free season, there can be no excuse for him,
We have a quality forward pack, and everyone knows a half can only perform well behind a good forward pack, so as long as our forwards do their job, if Trent had any real talent, he should shine this year.

Time will tell, good luck to him for the sake of our team. And our chances of glory,
I don't think you can win a premiership without a capable halfback in good form.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I actually think he was pretty good most of last year ,where he needs to step up big time is putting guys into holes ,grubber kicks behind the line not into players etc

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Yeah, so you basically saying what I said, if I read your comment correctly?
And I think Trent musk know this, and no doubt Des has discussed this with Trent, so I guess, given an injury free season, there can be no excuse for him,
We have a quality forward pack, and everyone knows a half can only perform well behind a good forward pack, so as long as our forwards do their job, if Trent had any real talent, he should shine this year.

Time will tell, good luck to him for the sake of our team. And our chances of glory,
I don't think you can win a premiership without a capable halfback in good form.
Yeah agreeing pretty much other than saying Roberts had more than enough chances but failed where as Trent's chance is this year.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I actually think he was pretty good most of last year ,where he needs to step up big time is putting guys into holes ,grubber kicks behind the line not into players etc
He needs to hit that next level this year or probably find himself goneski's.

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
^^ good news guys.

Sezer is off contract in 2014.. worst comes to worst, we lure him back to his home town.
Our own Bankstown boy , I wouldnt mind seeing him in blue and white again

CBDog

In the Zone
Reaction score
He needs to hit that next level this year or probably find himself goneski's.
He will be goneskis if he dosen't perform.
In the first few months he shows his 2012 form (lack of), he will be gone sooner than later and IF we have someone from lower grades
that Des think can step up to the mark he will be replaced.
Or hopefully even a possibility of an early season signing from somewhere else.

Of all of the winning top sides last season their halves figured very prominently in man of the match awards.
I cant think when TH was considered as MOM in all of our wins.

It shows that Reynolds or some other player had a major hand in the result, not TH.

He will know what the scenario is as far a performing or looking elsewhere next year.
The question is whether he can handle the pressure of trying to deliver the goods

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
How did it play out at Manly? Was TH Des's first choice or was DCE to young to be a choice at that stage?

N

Natboy

I think DCE was given his shot earlier than expected but Des wanted TH at halfback & was sad to see him go but not devastated. We got the bad buy & if Des was coming to the dogs then I think it was obvious who he would prefer. This is TH's chance after coming here as the next big thing. Fail at your peril

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think DCE was given his shot earlier than expected but Des wanted TH at halfback & was sad to see him go but not devastated. We got the bad buy & if Des was coming to the dogs then I think it was obvious who he would prefer. This is TH's chance after coming here as the next big thing. Fail at your peril
Don't like his chances of doing well this year. Unless he's learnt to handle pressure ,(which is what f***k'd up his goal kicking) .

GeneralLee01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
When it comes to Trent or any other Halfback in any era there is a handful of criteria that they must be able to tick the boxes of? Are they capable and skill full enough to lead a team and have their teamates respect to do so. Can they take control and dominate a game with foresight and a kicking game. Do they possess special skills to turn a game or create something when set play is not working. There are many more questions but so far I haven't ticked a box. Maybe this year I can but if I don't this year maybe we need to put someone else to the same test I've just created. After all that is the criteria of a halfback or am I to old fashioned?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
When it comes to Trent or any other Halfback in any era there is a handful of criteria that they must be able to tick the boxes of? Are they capable and skill full enough to lead a team and have their teamates respect to do so. Can they take control and dominate a game with foresight and a kicking game. Do they possess special skills to turn a game or create something when set play is not working. There are many more questions but so far I haven't ticked a box. Maybe this year I can but if I don't this year maybe we need to put someone else to the same test I've just created. After all that is the criteria of a halfback or am I to old fashioned?
Both. I agree with that basic criteria but I think the dramatically improved skill level of most players especially forwards with passing game etc takes a little bit of pressure off the HB in terms of the amount of people that create stuff. For example the roosters were playing SBW in the halves there towards the end of the season and he killed it. And our 2012 season would be another example. One thing that can't be hidden though is a kicking game, this is the difference between winning and losing these days IMO.

GeneralLee01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I still think the HB needs to take the ownership of lead the team around the park, which I'm not seeing enough from TH. He seems scared to take control. Maybe as he hasn't been in the top grade consistently for long enough.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I still think the HB needs to take the ownership of lead the team around the park, which I'm not seeing enough from TH. He seems scared to take control. Maybe as he hasn't been in the top grade consistently for long enough.
Yeah after a full season last year if he doesn't step up this year I wouldn't argue if he was shown the door.

JORDZILLA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is his last season to prove he is worthy of a spot at the bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.