Trent Barrett: Dean Pay weighs in on latest Canterbury Bulldogs coach to leave club

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Anyone saying that Pay did a better job doesn’t remember that the 6 again rule only started in 2020, where he won 3 games, and we only avoided the spoon because Broncos were worse.

They’re both bad coaches, and they’re both gone now, so there’s no point arguing who was better.
When RFM let slip they didn’t adjust their training for the 6 again

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He had a senior half in Foran, Hoppa performing well for a year, SOO klemmer for a year, tolman, JJ when he was good, Josh Morris NZ rep RFM. Much better than what Baz had last year. This year is on par. But Foran is the key difference.
Foran was injured more often than he was healthy, Hoppa was solid for one year, past it after that, Klemmer was disgruntled and wanted out. RFM? Gone on, dude…. Made of glass and was never more than a player with potential. JMoz and Jacko we’re still really good players, no doubt. But over the balance of their time here, I think Baz had it better. Pat
Also had the added headache of having to coach players who were on the way out and had no cap space to replace any of them until he signed Thompson in his final year. I think Barrettt definitely had a better opportunity. But I was thinking more of this year, yeah.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Foran was injured more often than he was healthy, Hoppa was solid for one year, past it after that, Klemmer was disgruntled and wanted out. RFM? Gone on, dude…. Made of glass and was never more than a player with potential. JMoz and Jacko we’re still really good players, no doubt. But over the balance of their time here, I think Baz had it better. Pat
Also had the added headache of having to coach players who were on the way out and had no cap space to replace any of them until he signed Thompson in his final year. I think Barrettt definitely had a better opportunity. But I was thinking more of this year, yeah.
End of the day Pay and Baz are failed coaches, it doesn't matter who failed less. Idiots calling for him to return are fkn lunatics. The dogs deserve better and Gus will get us a better option. We need to remember Pay as a great player and forget about his coaching

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
End of the day Pay and Baz are failed coaches, it doesn't matter who failed less. Idiots calling for him to return are fkn lunatics. The dogs deserve better and Gus will get us a better option. We need to remember Pay as a great player and forget about his coaching
Lol yeah, I’m not even trying yo suggest he should return, bro.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Better statistically but still shit. Roster was not inferior. Pay will not even be considered. Pay was a great player. Pay was a poor coach. Being better than the coach with the worst losing record of all time is nothing to hang your hat on.
The Pay tenure showed that you cannot just restore some 80s or 90s type footy and be successful.

You jave to score points and play modern day rugby league.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Pay is to smart to consider coming back. But he did a better job with an inferior roster.
The game was also a lot slower when Pay was in-charge... People can say Pay did better, but im adamant that he would have lost more games if he had to deal with the peak of the 6 again bullshit.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Dean Pay was clearly a better coach than Baz. His win percentage is much better (33% vs 15%). And Dean had worse players and no money to spend.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You reckon its true what Paul Kreepy Crawly said on 360... You reckon Pay actually said to him... " the board fired me and the same board that fired me hired Baz and then they got rid of him"

Surely Pay knows Barrett was sacked by a completely different new board.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone saying that Pay did a better job doesn’t remember that the 6 again rule only started in 2020, where he won 3 games, and we only avoided the spoon because Broncos were worse.

They’re both bad coaches, and they’re both gone now, so there’s no point arguing who was better.
Its a different game now. On the money.

Again not a slight on pay or barrett but there are players in their squads that are not putting in 100%. Club was very brave to axe barrett. Look at tigers and knights going no where.