Opinion Trent Barrett’s fault we Lost

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same. BBO looks more dangerous in his 20 minutes or whatever than Avo does in 80. I'd love to see BBO given just half the chance Avo has had at 7. Cook at 9.
Last year every single half was dropped bar Averillo. They did no worse than him. If I must say Wakeham showed some nice signs when he moved the ball around. Also on the plus side he is not a cat in defence and actually tackles round the legs chopping big fellas down. Or at least slowing them right down so support can come over the top. Averillo literally offers nothing. We honestly have the worst halfback in the whole comp. The spine is pretty good and going off JMK game last night we can be a top 8 no problem if JMK continues that form. BUT we are like a multi million dollar yacht with no captain to steer. So what Fucken good is that. You’d think Baz being a former Dally M of the year half would see the Fucken issues. You’d think he’d see that Averillo doesn’t posses the ability to be an NRL half. FFS even NSW Cup halves are better. Look at Clune. Played NSW Cup last year and now he’s NRL half running a tight ship up in Newcastle. Same as O’Dullivan. Wasn’t NRL standard last year. But he’s had time in Reggie’s and made his errors there now Penrith have an awesome back up for Cleary come origin or injury. As someone else posted we missed out on some steady 7s that would do a job for us. It’s really unfortunate that we are all so excited for this season and now the same shit we were seeing last year is appearing again. I called it from the second we signed Burto. Get him a mature NRL half to relieve pressure off him. Averillo attracts no defenders and Burto is now constantly doubled. Averillo is running the guy out of room every time he received the ball. I said last week we were lucky to win. Now you can all see I wasn’t putting a dampener on the win I was merely pointing out we needed to improve in the 7 area ASAP to even be competitive

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wakeham should have a go in FG. Let's be honest, we have 6-8 very possible losses coming up so giving Wakeham a shot next to Burton isn't something major, if you know what I mean.
I’d give Wakeham or Bailey. It’s that simple. Docker-Clay has been playing well too. Whoever it is I better not see Averillo at 7 come 4pm Tuesday

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Even so, jacksons passing game is horrible and he holds it for too long...that's on Jackson not barrett
Not really, his role is to dig into the line and pass - the problem is that he doesn't attract attention as a running threat.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Felt for JAC. It's astonishing that no one gives the ball to him.
has naden got a complex about passing? plenty of times he couldve thrown him the ball yet chooses to go himself. if he isnt able to pass, he should be moved to right wing in place of Okunbor

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett doesn’t use the bench properly at all.

We needed BBO to come on during the last 10 minutes of the first half. A fresh zippy player against tiring forwards generally produced results

Barrett is just too stubborn and His loyalty to Okunbor is ridiculous
im baffled by the decision to bring tevita off in the first half after a 14 minute stint only then to bring him back on again 10 minutes later. What a waste of 2 interchanges. play him for 20-25 then take him off until his second stint in the second half

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
We should not have lost that game. All the stats are in our favour.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okunbor might be bog average but he’s far from the reason why we’re not winning games. Fact is we are not scoring enough points. Points come off the back of good go forward which then allows the spine to create opportunities. Our 1 and 6 can’t do it all on their own. Our 9 creates SFA for other players although he occasionally creates an opportunity for himself to score just like we seen today. Don’t get me started on the 7!
Fact is we are leaking points on Okunbors wing. Defence wins you games

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After the last 2 weeks I think we have a real chance against Manly.

They are playing like busted farts.
calling it now, manly 13+. Hasler always gets them up when they play against us. Tom Turbo with a double

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I mentioned it in another thread, the turning point was the 1-1 strip on burns - we were dominating up to that point and heading into another attacking position - big momentum swing.. the rest of the game was an arm wrestle we just couldn’t get on top of, but the players played their guts out - credit where credit is due. We almost levelled it up a few times at the death.

The signs of Improve are clear to see - we got smacked by a much sh!tter broncos last year and I’d consider this game “one that got away”.. definitely on the up!

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ok so we need to restrict the opposition to 10–14 points weekly coz we struggle to score more than that

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you’re going to concede points, better out wide than under the posts. The glaring issue is most of our tries conceded are down our right edge- that’s poor communication from the organising half on the right with edge forward/centre/winger. No coincidence that Averillo is just as inept at organising our right side defence as he is at directing the team’s attack.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn’t mention Staggs “try” because it wasn’t a try I thought that would be pretty easy to understand? So i didn’t conveniently omit it.

What do you think the 8 try scoring opportunities are? That’s the improvement. We haven’t even created those in previous years. They were genuine try scoring chances that just needed a slice of luck or a touch more polish to finish them off. If we keep creating those the points will come.

So your solution is buckle to media pressure and put in Kyle? If he knocks down the door in Reggie’s then give him a game but on what he’s shown so far he’s got a long way to go. It’s Round 2 and we improved the performance from Round 1 despite a different final result. That’s about all can ask of the team this year.
The fact is we only scored 2 tries, we only scored 10 points; it won’t win you too many games in the NRL. Creating opportunities isn’t the objective, converting them into 4 pointers is.
Our lack of points scoring is directly related to the sub standard DH service & lack of direction in attack from our 7. Averillo has had the back end of last season, 2 trials & 2 NRL games this season to emphatically declare he’s not the answer- Flanno was dropped after 4 games Scrutiny is on Sandercock & Baz to change the course of the team’s destiny, assist rather the burden Burton’s game by replacing what’s clearly not working…

Last edited:

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact is we only scored 2 tries, we only scored 10 points; it won’t win you too many games in the NRL. Creating opportunities isn’t the objective, converting them into 4 pointers is.
Our lack of points scoring is directly related to the sub standard DH service & lack direction in attack from our 7. Averillo has had the back end of last season, 2 trials & 2 NRL games this season to emphatically declare he’s not the answer- Flanno was dropped after 4 games. Scrutiny is on Sandercock & Baz to change the course of the team’s destiny, assist rather the burden Burton’s game by replacing what’s clearly not working…
We leaked points last year on right side gues where knockondumdum was

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone coming up with these genius tips for Barrett. Fact is if we were as fit as Brisbane we win easily. We dominated them in the forwards in the first half but couldn't sustain it in the second. This has happened a lot in the last 5 years. It was glaring yesterday and we are still a 50 minute football side. All the combinations mean jack shit if the side isn't fit enough.