No Source TPJ Rumours seem Legit ..

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Maybe Broncos are making it look like they are interested in Dud-buy so Wayne takes the bait.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Funny even the broncos greats saying hes not worth the risk such a drop kick this guy

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don’t care for TPJ but this is not good look for the NRL. “A player suddenly retires and returns on a lower salary to another club”. It sets a dangerous precedent. At worst, he would have to sit out his contract length.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
did we over pay for him at the time as well or was he that good? I swear I can’t remember it feels like a lifetime ago
We did but only in hindsight, however the critics would say otherwise.

Basically, Tevita was paid on potential for several years, with us being the latest club to believe he could ever change and be a consistent performer at a high level.

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I liked the aggression tpj brought to the dogs, unfortunately it wasnt often enough. A shame to see that part of his game go. since it was his choice to retire then he should not be allowed to play this season, and it shouldnt be up to the dogs to enforce that policy, the club should make a stand to stop players using retirement as an excuse in the future.
Yep agree, sets a precedent for others.

Wants to get out of contract, “Retire”/get a release, say they are going to another sport, realise NRL is actually their “thing” after all, sign up to a new contract for a “fresh start at another club…..rinse and repeat…all too easy.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yep agree, sets a precedent for others.

Wants to get out of contract, “Retire”/get a release, say they are going to another sport, realise NRL is actually their “thing” after all, sign up to a new contract for a “fresh start at another club…..rinse and repeat…all too easy.
Ben Hunt is the only player who would attempt this right now.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Phil Gould has given the green-light for Tevita Pangai Junior to return to the NRL, despite the former Bulldogs enforcer retiring from the sport less than six months ago.

The 27-year-old announced he would walk away from rugby league to pursue a career in professional boxing towards the end of last season, ending his tenure with Canterbury a year early and giving up a substantial amount of money in the process.

Pangai defeated Frank Amato last October via majority decision in Townsville, but is yet to lock in his next fight and was recently spotted at a Broncos pre-season training session.

While there has been no confirmed interest from Brisbane - or any other club - regarding Pangai's future in the NRL, Gould told 9news Sydney that the Bulldogs wouldn't stand in his way.

"We were all a bit shocked when he gave it away last year," he said.

"If he's had a second think about that and wants to come back to the sport, I think the sport will be better for it wherever he goes.

"He certainly has our blessing to go wherever he likes."

Pangai played over 130 first grade games across stints with the Broncos, Panthers and Bulldogs, while also making his State of Origin debut for NSW in last year's series defeat.

His transition into boxing has seen Pangai go undefeated from three pro bouts, with two wins coming via knockout.

Source

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Phil Gould has given the green-light for Tevita Pangai Junior to return to the NRL, despite the former Bulldogs enforcer retiring from the sport less than six months ago.

The 27-year-old announced he would walk away from rugby league to pursue a career in professional boxing towards the end of last season, ending his tenure with Canterbury a year early and giving up a substantial amount of money in the process.

Pangai defeated Frank Amato last October via majority decision in Townsville, but is yet to lock in his next fight and was recently spotted at a Broncos pre-season training session.

While there has been no confirmed interest from Brisbane - or any other club - regarding Pangai's future in the NRL, Gould told 9news Sydney that the Bulldogs wouldn't stand in his way.

"We were all a bit shocked when he gave it away last year," he said.

"If he's had a second think about that and wants to come back to the sport, I think the sport will be better for it wherever he goes.

"He certainly has our blessing to go wherever he likes."

Pangai played over 130 first grade games across stints with the Broncos, Panthers and Bulldogs, while also making his State of Origin debut for NSW in last year's series defeat.

His transition into boxing has seen Pangai go undefeated from three pro bouts, with two wins coming via knockout.

Source
Gus giving his blessing is a good thing, says alot about the club to the germalist that we have moved on.

If he or anyone else made a comment remotely negative about his return the germalist would stick to it like a fly on shit.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In all honesty I don't want the NRL to allow his return prior to his nullified contracts expiry date. I already think it's hard on fans when a player they like even asks for a release. Would be shit if retiring to play pro lawn bowls for a few months in the off season was a get out of jail free card for any player who makes a bad call on a long term contract.

I give zero shits about TPJ. He'd still have been handy and equally frustrating at times. But in a better pack where he can inject himself occasionally he's the difference between an L & a W. Can go either way on how he's the difference though. Either a tough run or an offload that gifts the opposition a try to put them in front with 5 to go.

But opening this can of worms of allowing a player to retire then pop up elsewhere before his contract would have ended will bite them in the ass if they green lighted it. Sounds like TPJ is quite happy swatting flies though.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warbs and Gus coming out and saying that they’re happy for him to play for another NRL club gives credence to the many oppo fans that reckon it was orchestrated by the club to get his big salary off our books.

We all know how Gus gets his way, so I wouldn’t be surprised, but wouldn’t they have had to talk Tevita and his management into foregoing $80pk or whatever he was on this year? No way anyone would accept that.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The dumb fuck drives his value down whenever he opens mouth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This whole saga has been brilliantly played by Gould. Just handles things perfectly. He would be the perfect player on survivor.
I could see him being a bit of a Russell Hantz type player .. full on strategy, not much social game … [emoji23]

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Skelator has come out saying he's not interested so I'd say he'll end up at the phins or the gronks

Bulldog Brower

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Tevita Pangai Junior confirms rugby league return with Queensland Cup outfit
Tevita Pangai Junior has moved one step closer to a return to the NRL, signing with reserve grade club Souths Logan for the 2024 season.

The former NSW Origin enforcer shocked the rugby league world last year when he retired to pursue a career in professional boxing, but had recently been spotted at Brisbane Broncos training and rumours had been swirling regarding a comeback.

Pangai has now been revealed as the marquee signing for the Magpies, who compete in the Queensland Cup competition and have close ties with the Broncos.