Opinion Topine

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed today Topine seems really quick at accelerating for a forward. His stats show he made a tonne of tackles. If Cam Murray can be a success there's no reason Topine can't. Aust schoolboys captain. He has to be a decent player. Leads our team in the victory song whether he plays or not. We have a few big forwards. We can certainly do with a smaller one who'se quick like Topine.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you’ve seen Gould talk over the years he likes to have various body types in his forwards. There’s definitely a place there for the smaller guys like Sutton & Topine who will do a different job to the bigger boys like TPJ.
Edwards also already looks the goods and should take Waddell’s spot from now on

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Paul langmack
steve folkes
joe Thomas
Jason smith
All small guys but would be first picked
LOL, I don't know about Joe Thomas... he wasn't very good at a lot. I'd say he was an honest player who tried his best, but that's about it.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I will gladly admit how wrong i was on Topine. Thought he was extremely overhyped and overrated on here but he proved me very wrong. Played great up against a beastly forward pack in Newcastle. Deserves his spot over Waddell.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Size should not matter as Topine is still strong and not being as bulked up as some others is very mobile. Seeing him without his jersey he is very well cut and proportioned and looks to have a good centre of gravity. He hits hard and runs straight. I love his enthusiasm for the club and in these times, players who bleed the colours of their club are few and far between.

Strange to see that he is still not signed for next year unless there is something underlying that we are not privy to.I guess we just need to trust and wait and see.

I hope he does get a new contract, but with our new signings so far and the form of the few newbies coming through jostling for spots will be massive, which is a good thing. Time to get back the steel and toughness in our forward pack combined with the enthusiasm and skill of our backs (yes it is great to say that after many lean years) and look forward to a consistent and focused 2023.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Doesn't effect his game at all. Good defender and makes plenty of metres. Can play edge backrower, lock, hooker or centre.
My problem hasn't been with him being small but the fact that last year for example we had Hetherington, Thompson and Jackson as our starting middle, easily the smallest pack in the comp. TPJ and King have decent size and Kikau Pele coming next year that's not really an issue, more than happy for him to push for that right edge spot.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All them people saying he’s to small for first grade.... plays above his weight. All heart never stops. Plays bigger then most forwards.
Re sign him already!!
Yesterday was proof he will be around in the NRL for a long time... Kid was touted a gooden, yesterday he proved it. Dilemma now is re-signing him on a cheap but non disrespectful wage.

Reaction score
NOT the size of the dog in the fight its the size of the fight in the dog he has this in spades been plenty of small footballers let go by this club and others who have proven plenty wrong and this has come back to bite us and others on the ass

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His no new contract at this stage has got me really baffled and here is why-

Since Gus has joined us, he has gone out of his way to bring players to the club of worth who are local juniors or have had ties to the area in their past.

Gus is huge on the philosophy that playing for the club has to mean something more than just coming here for the Dosh, as was the case when he built the Panthers & pointed them in the direction of where they are now by having so many local juniors & so many Club 1st grade debutants. Most of those players honestly love the club because it means more to them than just a game of footy.

We all know that Topine has the "I would Die For The Club" attitude which is absolute gold for fitting the Gus Club Culture - but still no contract.

BUT -

My only logical explanation is that Gus knowing how much Topine would sacrifice for the club means that Gus is trying to get him to sacrifice some money on his next contract to stay.

Every successful club needs to have players on their books that you get for unders in order to have those marquee players that you need on overs. This is a major key to any clubs success but is hard to acheive.

IMO, Topine is no world beater right now but with growth has the potential to be great in around 1 to 2 seasons and is worth holding at the right price.

The right price being the number one key factor here.

My tip is that he stays and it will be for the right price.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jackson Topine should have a mortgage on that 11 jersey
Today he played 80mins
8 runs for 102m
5 tackle breaks
43 tackles and 0 missed tackles

To give us that on your first game back in first grade, crazy
It was a Steve Reardon / Tony Grimaldi like performance.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I will gladly admit how wrong i was on Topine. Thought he was extremely overhyped and overrated on here but he proved me very wrong. Played great up against a beastly forward pack in Newcastle. Deserves his spot over Waddell.
I know you watch reserves so you shouldn't be shocked at his performance.

Most that comment against him don't watch reserves...and it shows.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know you watch reserves so you shouldn't be shocked at his performance.

Most that comment against him don't watch reserves...and it shows.
Just a guess but my thinking of why Topine has struggled to be selected is because he has been basically a legs tackler and is still learning the "holding" (whatever the term is) technique required in first grade now.