Opinion Topine

Dan2

Waterboy
Reaction score
Topine looked good out there on the edge. Seemed to talk well with who was inside and outside him in defence. Edwards out on the other edge look good as well. Think that Jackson should be coming off the bench and playing less minutes.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I watched the game again and the amount of work Topine gets through is impressive…especially on our line defence where he makes two and three tackles in a row and on attack finds his front.

Kid has a good engine

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I watched the game again and the amount of work Topine gets through is impressive…especially on our line defence where he makes two and three tackles in a row and on attack finds his front.

Kid has a good engine
Yep and plays above his weight

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
"unless there is something underlying that we are not privy to"

Doesn't make sense if here is "AN ISSUE" cos theu entrust the honour of leading the team victory song. It's odd there's been no announcement re his future with the club. Especially in light of the recent signings :(
Agree Wendog. I am disappointed that there has been no movement on this issue. Yeah, we see players declaring their undying love of the club and that they don't want to go anywhere else, in his case I get that genuine vibe not the "Oh I will resign and then once that is done I can plod along because I have a new contract. "You can see the enthusiasm oozing out of him and to be honest I do love the way he plays the game.

His stats are okay too... started slowly 2021 run wise/tackle wise but one game this year got him 43 tackles no misses and 102 metres

2022 Season - By Round/

SUMMARYSCORINGATTACKPASSINGDEFENCERUNNING METRES
RoundOpponentScorePositionMinutes PlayedTriesGoalsPointsTry AssistsLinebreaksTackle BreaksPost Contact MetresOffloadsReceiptsTackles MadeMissed TacklesTotal Running MetresHit Up Running MetresKick Return Metres
Broncos
BroncosLLost34 - 14Replacement---------------
Roosters
RoostersWWon16 - 12Replacement---------------
Dragons
DragonsLLost24 - 34Replacement---------------
Knights
KnightsWWon10 - 242nd Row80-----538
Career By Season/

Career By Season
SUMMARYSCORINGATTACKPASSINGDEFENCERUNNING METRESFANTASY
YearPlayedWonLostDrawnWin %TriesGoalsPointsLinebreaksOffloadsTackles MadeMissed TacklesTotal Running MetresAverage Running MetresKick Return MetresTotal PointsAverage Points
Bulldogs
Bulldogs2021817-12%1-41-212626833.00324630.8
Bulldogs
Bulldogs202211--100%-----43-102

Career Overall/

Career Overall
Year StartYear EndPlayedWonLostDrawnWin %TriesGoalsPointsLinebreaksOffloadsTackles MadeMissed TacklesTotal Running MetresAverage Running MetresKick Return MetresTotal PointsAverage Points
Bulldogs
Bulldogs20212022927-22%1-41-2556370

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Topine is 21. He will put on 10kg between now and 25. He plays large minutes, doesn't miss tackles & has good leg speed. He can be our Ruben Cotter. Only thing that annoys me about him is his pigtail.
socks down annoys me, but I agree he can play, so I got over it. Looks like he's already starting to fill out a bit.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
How much would u pay to keep him ?

Kikau and Jackson would be on good coin
RFM and Waddell would be on Reasonable coin.

That's 4 second rowers signed for 2023

How much would u pay someone a long way back in the pecking order ?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
How much would u pay to keep him ?

Kikau and Jackson would be on good coin
RFM and Waddell would be on Reasonable coin.

That's 4 second rowers signed for 2023

How much would u pay someone a long way back in the pecking order ?
Waddell is on like 210k or at least he was, Jackson and Kikau are on dick loads while I'm not sure what RFM's new contract looks like.

We could probably retain Topine for 170k max at this stage and I would comfortably have him ahead of Waddell. Topine also offers utility value. We could be prioritising larger backrowers though.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Agree Wendog. I am disappointed that there has been no movement on this issue. Yeah, we see players declaring their undying love of the club and that they don't want to go anywhere else, in his case I get that genuine vibe not the "Oh I will resign and then once that is done I can plod along because I have a new contract. "You can see the enthusiasm oozing out of him and to be honest I do love the way he plays the game.

His stats are okay too... started slowly 2021 run wise/tackle wise but one game this year got him 43 tackles no misses and 102 metres

2022 Season - By Round/

RoundOpponentScorePositionMinutes PlayedTriesGoalsPointsTry AssistsLinebreaksTackle BreaksPost Contact MetresOffloadsReceiptsTackles MadeMissed TacklesTotal Running MetresHit Up Running MetresKick Return Metres
SUMMARYSCORINGATTACKPASSINGDEFENCERUNNING METRES
Broncos
BroncosLLost34 - 14Replacement---------------
Roosters
RoostersWWon16 - 12Replacement---------------
Dragons
DragonsLLost24 - 34Replacement---------------
Knights
KnightsWWon10 - 242nd Row80-----538
Career By Season/

Career By Season
YearPlayedWonLostDrawnWin %TriesGoalsPointsLinebreaksOffloadsTackles MadeMissed TacklesTotal Running MetresAverage Running MetresKick Return MetresTotal PointsAverage Points
Bulldogs
Bulldogs2021817-12%1-41-212626833.00324630.8
Bulldogs
Bulldogs202211--100%-----43-102

Career Overall/

Career Overall
Year StartYear EndPlayedWonLostDrawnWin %TriesGoalsPointsLinebreaksOffloadsTackles MadeMissed TacklesTotal Running MetresAverage Running MetresKick Return MetresTotal PointsAverage Points
Bulldogs
Bulldogs20212022927-22%1-41-2556370
His running metres were low because he played off the bench as back up hooker. And Didn’t get a whole lot of minutes

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today was the first doggies game I have missed all year. How did young Jackson Topine play today?

Paul Doolans mirror

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Topine is the same size now as he was in h matt's and sg ball when he would terrorise on the edges..i hope he isn't resigned..he got monstered today by the cowboys..I get his love and enthusiasm for the club buts that's our job as fans

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Topine is the same size now as he was in h matt's and sg ball when he would terrorise on the edges..i hope he isn't resigned..he got monstered today by the cowboys..I get his love and enthusiasm for the club buts that's our job as fans
He's a great asset to our team though. If we get our forward pack balanced and Mahoney holds up, then Topine is the perfect player to slot in at #14

Paul Doolans mirror

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He's a great asset to our team though. If we get our forward pack balanced and Mahoney holds up, then Topine is the perfect player to slot in at #14
We have to trust Gus with whatever he decides to do with Topine.Its not a coincidence that teams aren't lining up to sign him,and it's not like he would be asking for big bucks.Is he good enough to make the 17 of any of the top 8 sides??

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Topine has enthusiasm and heart but imho whilst he makes tackles they are generally legs tackles and the attacking team ends up with quick play the balls - he needs to be able to catch, hold n wrestle better in fg.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Topine has enthusiasm and heart but imho whilst he makes tackles they are generally legs tackles and the attacking team ends up with quick play the balls - he needs to be able to catch, hold n wrestle better in fg.
He showed great strength and wrestled well when he stripped the ball off a player and then earned a penalty for a high shot. It's only his 2nd game starting in the 2nd row.. He does make a lot of legs tackles. I'm sure he'll learn to mix it up and tackle around the ball more as he showed he can do with the strip..

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He showed great strength and wrestled well when he stripped the ball off a player and then earned a penalty for a high shot. It's only his 2nd game starting in the 2nd row.. He does make a lot of legs tackles. I'm sure he'll learn to mix it up and tackle around the ball more as he showed he can do with the strip..
Im sure he can - has to unlearn what his natural instinct is which is to make legs tackles.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
was impressed with him vs knights, not as much vs the cowboys, their first try was a pretty simple tackle and he missed it, needs to sort out his defence, always feel like the bigger players can go straight through him

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
This is how stars are blocked - take Thurston - how many rejected him - Topine is a keeper