Tony Williams Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klem Bupa-Berg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We put too much emphasis on stats nowadays. It's not the NFL. Stats don't show that desperate dive to make a tackle or busting your balls to fill a defensive gap or putting your hand up for a big run when it's needed.
Stats are crap. They mean very little

I agree on your points of desperate dive or filling a gap etc but stats are an important part of the game. Especially with the coaches.

Heres a quote from Gary Freeman in a article 'Williams was bought by the Dogs to give their forward pack thrust and power. They wanted him terrorising smaller men on the edges and breaking the line to feed any number of eager supports.He can be a menacing unit in defence as well but we haven’t seen anything like the best from one of the NRL’s most powerful athletes.I am not saying that T-Rex has been playing badly. I am saying that I expected him to be showing much more purpose and involvement for his old coach at a new club.'

Yes we havent seen the purpose and involvement he should be as Gary Freeman points out and us fans want. But he has been improving, there may be a missed tackle in a game, but he is targeted like Canterbury did last year when we played Manly. What the stats lack is the much more purpose as you pointed out. That hasnt come yet, but he has been improving. I think all Tegga is pointing out is he sees improvement when he has watched the games and the stats back it up. You cannot call stats crap or mean very little, its how you use and look at them that make great coaches and play a percentage in player evaluation of a game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Klem Bupa-Berg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Two points of purpose that stood out was the bomb T-rex stretched out and caught from incoming Inglis. The second was the effort and purpose of an important tackle on Inglis breaking through our defence. Signs of improvement in defence.

P.s Please note I am still not happy with his performance for a player of his type and value.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been a long time reader and decided to register. I had high hopes when T. rex signed and the truth is he has been a big flop SO FAR.

He is playing as if he is carrying and injury or is scared of getting injured.

Anyway, I'm hoping we will see the real T. rex soon and that won't be too far away. I do recall trex always plays out of his skin when he comes up against the rorters from bondi.

Lets hope so

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been a long time reader and decided to register. I had high hopes when T. rex signed and the truth is he has been a big flop SO FAR.

He is playing as if he is carrying and injury or is scared of getting injured.

Anyway, I'm hoping we will see the real T. rex soon and that won't be too far away. I do recall trex always plays out of his skin when he comes up against the rorters from bondi.

Lets hope so
I agree, I hope we see the potential from him soon. What I fear though is that if he does have a blinder that it will be a one-off. I would rather see consistent good performances from him than one devastating game and then go missing again for a month.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Something incredible would need to occur though - including losing a few kgs as well as the poor attitude.

Here's hoping.

As a side, I see many people (sort-of) defending Williams, saying he's not an 80 minute player and he would be better off the bench. But, guess what? Due to a lack of personnel he has to start and play most, if not all, of the game, so the princess needs to suck it up. See how the Beast and Tolman are taking the extra workload in their stride.....

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Something incredible would need to occur though - including losing a few kgs as well as the poor attitude.

Here's hoping.

As a side, I see many people (sort-of) defending Williams, saying he's not an 80 minute player and he would be better off the bench. But, guess what? Due to a lack of personnel he has to start and play most, if not all, of the game, so the princess needs to suck it up. See how the Beast and Tolman are taking the extra workload in their stride.....
Agreed. Considering the money that he is on he should really be starting not coming off the bench and just do whatever the team needs for him to do.

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
If he is a bench player then we paid massive overs for him. Shouldn't pay that much for a bench player in my opinion.

The amount he is earning means he should be an 80 minute player

FullyHektic

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He's fucked he plays 1 good game out of ten. He's a lazy footballer who only plays well to get a contact signed.
I can't stand the useless ****. Piss him off to NSW CUP for Fuck's sake.

jo7resh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea one good game every once in while isn't good enough but did anyone really wanted him signed by us in the first place

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Yea one good game every once in while isn't good enough but did anyone really wanted him signed by us in the first place
I honestly wasn't happy when we wasted our money on him. It was obvious we should of chased a halfback.

We could of offered massive money to JT.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's not Tony Williams it's Kris keating please give the Guy's a break!!! Out for 4 weeks Pritchard, out for 4 weeks + Kasiano, out for 4 weeks Barba, out for 4 weeks (so far +), Graham, unexpected retirement Turner................... = replacements.......
All relatively inexperienced NRL players, Taupau, Klemmer, Finucane, Jackson, Low, Brown...we lost to a full strength Melbourne by a few points, we lost to a full strength Bunnies by 5 points after losing our captain and Hooker before half time, these are no excuses just facts!!!
It's OK to lose maybe 1 or 2 forwards and not get effected but, to not have the forwards we have had on the sidelines and to be replaced with fantastic inexperienced young players like we have is great for the future however nothing suffices for experienced but I feel comfortable in the months ahead and at the business end of the season if we need to rely on the young blokes we have being blooded at the moment.
I am not worried one bit.... "IN DES I TRUST"!!!
The situation is really surprising me, this is probably the first season where the loses are not concerning me...I see the opportunity in each issue (blooding young players, testing our team without our #1). Winning 50-0 at this point of the season does not guarantee finals football. I think we are learning more about our team than teams who are "cruising" (ie winning). The Bulldogs are not giving up on the battle, each game they have contested, up until last week without the well known players who are out.

Williams v Williams next week will prove interesting!

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Will the game against Manly be the night Tony Williams comes out of the closet?

As far as I'm c oncerned Tony Williams has done nothing for the club that is paying him $25K per game. He is not and under achiever... he has achieved nothing.

There are Bulldogs fans that say "He needs more time" or "Give him more time". Time for what? He is an Origin and International rep... club football is just his bread and butter.

An 80 minute player? No way. Two lots of 20 minutes would be his max.

So what I'm wondering about and hoping for is will this Friday night game against his old club, Manly. be the game he fires up and makes us glad that we are spending $600K per season over three years on him. Personally I don't know what will happen but if he is the same on field spectator who reduces us to a five man pack its time to show him the door. Todd Greenberg and the Board can sort out the financialks.

Allan

Man of Steel
Reaction score
I don't think we are paying him anywhere near the $600k reported in the Telegraph. I also suspect but don't know, that Manly are still paying some of his fee. That said, he has done little in the matches so far. His stats are not good. His hitups go nowhere. I compare him to Eastwood who is having a blinder of a season and Jackson and Tolman and he isn't even our 3rd best forward and as Frank comes on line this week he probably won't be our 4th. I do hope Des has the answer because I am certain he can see what we all can.

Klem Bupa-Berg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Have a listen to all the players in the press conference about Tony Williams on the official website.

The media will keep piling the pressure to perform if he doesn't in the next few weeks, they are being patient as well.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think we are paying him anywhere near the $600k reported in the Telegraph. I also suspect but don't know, that Manly are still paying some of his fee. That said, he has done little in the matches so far. His stats are not good. His hitups go nowhere. I compare him to Eastwood who is having a blinder of a season and Jackson and Tolman and he isn't even our 3rd best forward and as Frank comes on line this week he probably won't be our 4th. I do hope Des has the answer because I am certain he can see what we all can.
It's confirmed that for 2013 only, manly are paying ~80k of his contract.

vietorious

pho-lawless
Reaction score
Will the game against Manly be the night Tony Williams comes out of the closet?

As far as I'm c oncerned Tony Williams has done nothing for the club that is paying him $25K per game. He is not and under achiever... he has achieved nothing.

There are Bulldogs fans that say "He needs more time" or "Give him more time". Time for what? He is an Origin and International rep... club football is just his bread and butter.

An 80 minute player? No way. Two lots of 20 minutes would be his max.

So what I'm wondering about and hoping for is will this Friday night game against his old club, Manly. be the game he fires up and makes us glad that we are spending $600K per season over three years on him. Personally I don't know what will happen but if he is the same on field spectator who reduces us to a five man pack its time to show him the door. Todd Greenberg and the Board can sort out the financialks.
I agree. International player shouldnt be playing at the level Williams is playing at the moment.
New club or not, the fundamentals of running onto the ball and giving a f*ck in defence doesnt change.

Hope he has a blinder and proves me wrong, but watching him play is as frustrating as seeing Holdsworth lead a side around.

Eagle eye

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's confirmed that for 2013 only, manly are paying ~80k of his contract.
That's true. His contract with us was back ended as was Des' want. You better hope he doesn't pull the same crap with you.

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's true. His contract with us was back ended as was Des' want. You better hope he doesn't pull the same crap with you.
Most if not all clubs are signing players to back ended contracts these days

Status
Not open for further replies.