Tonga Re-Signs with Bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
From www.bulldogs.com.au

Mitsubishi Electric Bulldogs centre Willie Tonga has agreed to terms with the Club and will be wearing the blue-and-white strip until at least the end of the 2008 season.

Tonga, an Australian and Queensland representative, was a member of the Bulldogs' 2004 Premiership-winning side.

Commenting on the signing, Bulldogs CEO Malcolm Noad said, "This is fantastic news. There's no doubt he would have received more money had he gone to the open market, but Willie has shown great strength of character and great loyalty to his teammates, coaches and supporters in making his decision to stay."

Willie Tonga, 22, said, "I've spent a lot of time out of football over the last 18 months. The Club has been very good to me and I felt I owed everyone there, particularly my mates. I think this team can achieve some big things this year and beyond.

"Now that my future is settled my immediate goal is to get back to playing this season. There is no doubt that being part of this Bulldogs side improves my chances of getting back to representative football."

Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes said, "When Willie is fully fit and in form he is one of the best centres in the competition. It's obviously a great boost for the Club that he'll be with us for a few more years."

Tonga joined the Bulldogs from Parramatta in 2004 and has played 44 first grade games in the blue-and-white jersey. He has played two State of Origin games for Queensland and six tests for Australia.

H

Haztrick

Nice.. Good news. Now it's time to get a coupel of other centers so we actually have some depth. With the cap increasing, we should be ble to keep the majority of our off contract stars.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah Baby Yeah!

Aaron

Utai Slam
Reaction score
I knew this would be well accepted. Give him credit, he has showed loyalty and could have got much more elsewhere.

23_EzA_23

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Great news, however I had come to accept the fact that he was gonna go. But great news!!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good stuff,Tonga has plenty to offer the club,we can only hope he finds the form he had in 04 when he comes back from injury,his confidence is a little down but he will only get better with more games under his belt.

PineappleBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why say u will go to June 30 and then re-sign :confused:

I want roy to stay

Premiers04

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good news, glad to see him re-sign, I hope that management didnt offer him a bit more money to stay though, and hopefully he can get back on the field and back to his scintilating best.

coastaldog

COACH
Reaction score
this is what happens when you want to be part of a winning team,,
not paid to be on a losing one

riomhach

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Good news and top marks for loyalty. Thanks Tonga!!!!

Now, we wait for Roy!

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
I dont get it, he pasted the deadline and risked leaving us, then signed :confused:

Either way, obviously without him our backline would be abit suspect so... Im happy he showed loyality in the end

But I'am abit confused, I didnt expect this, he probably apologised :grinning:

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thats excellent news.

I cant wait for Tonga v Cooper when we play the saints :D (i just had to add that in)

.PARANoIR.

I stole this off Charisma
Reaction score
We just need to secure either Myles or Asotasi. Preferably both. And we still need another quality centre imo.

Dean Collis fits the bill here. I doubt we could aford Paul Whatuira now anyway.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
I think the club should now stick with Phelpsy or target Millard

We dont need to target a high priced centre, he will only give us troubles later on trying to maintain our strength, which is our forward pack :grinning:

K

kennyy

You guys seem to be forgetting how well Emilio was playing before he got injured...

Status
Not open for further replies.