TOLMAN @ 13, Good Move IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Like it or not, the likes of Tolman, Stagg, Grimaldi, Reardon and Folkes may not contribute much in attack but are a necessity and provides confidence and intensity to a successful defence.
Steve Reardon... very very underrated player, was awesome for us.

We can't afford or Tolman not to be starting right now. He is our main on field forward leader in middle. He does a lot of talk off the ball and in the ear of the younger players constantly.

Anyone that doesn't recognise the benefit of this type of contribution has never played a team sport competitively or has never been a team player.

Juicydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I will be honest I stopped reading at the part you said no every side can have a superstar in every position because that does not mean we need to have Tolman in the side.

We have plenty of players in our 13 that are not superstars so we not expecting that. But I've said before if he has to be in the team I would rather him start at 13.. offers no impact of the bench doesn't suit him and to start in the front row his shit so that doesn't work
You stopped reading but than kept reading?

We actually do need Tolman in our side (for this year atleast) because the old board and Des decided to sign him up till 2020.

You gonna keep a seasoned player who is on probably 500k a year for the next 3 years in NSW Cup while we dont have any better starting players?

Tolman is currently a starter at 13 because Tualau, Fualalo are not better starting players. They are actually bench players at best.

Our middle wasnt too bad last night and Lichaa had one of his best games I have seen him while at the Dogs. Im not a fan of Lichaa, but you gotta give the kid credit when its due.

I have been calling for Jackson to move into lock this year but I was wrong. We have massive issues on the right edge and by moving Jackson to lock we will leak even more points on that edge. It wasnt evident to me up until last nights game. Against the Storm & Roosters alot of the tries we conceeded were like the ones we scored last night, scrappy, bounch of the ball, no structure. The Panthers had their lines and structures set up on that left edge of theirs which exposed Foran & Hoppa.

There is alot of people here who think you can just discard/swap a player under contract and replace him with whoever they want. It simply does not work that way unless you want to be a Parra under Ricky Stuart.

The bashing on Tolman is terrible. Its the previous coach and board who extended his contract. You want Tolman moved on while being under contract? Let the bloke play his big minutes and hopefully another club will snap him up with hopefully not hurting our pockets too much like Graham & Kasianos contracts. Once again to all members, TOLMAN IS CONTRACTED UP TILL 2020!

You have no idea how it works and i suggest you go play football manager on playstation any buy and trade whoever you want

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

We can't afford or Tolman not to be starting right now. He is our main on field forward leader in middle. He does a lot of talk off the ball and in the ear of the younger players constantly.

Anyone that doesn't recognise the benefit of this type of contribution has never played a team sport competitively or has never been a team player.
No i agree Tolman does well with his off the ball talk and defensive reads, i also rate his effort and desire to always be involved even though he gets in the way at times. But until he improves his physical presence or offers more with the ball in hand then he doesn't justify the big minutes. Yes he makes his tackles but he doesn't dominate them. Yes he also makes his runs but again doesn't make the metres or get the quick play the ball. I'd much rather Pay make better use of the bench to maintain intensity and momentum than giving Tolman the minutes just for the sake of it.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not at all, literally played exactly the same as he has all season except he started and got more minutes. The sooner Jackson wears the 13 the better off we will be.
Were you at the game?

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
He has struggled on the right in defense. Our whole right side has issues. All mechanics so hopefully they gel soon.
My son was at the game with his kids last night and said the same thing. Interesting that JJ defends on that side and the holes are still there. Foran seems to tackle OK in traffic so I can only assume they haven't got it together as a group yet. I think individually they are all OK - just not working as a group.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Last night wasnt just any win. It was our first nrl win in 6 months. It was Dean Pays 1st win as a head coach so of course ive blown my load, like alot of our supporters. So how about you stop being a fucken smart arse. Relax calm down yourself and stop being a fuckwit.

Sorry mate didn’t mean to get you that upset. It’s just you called the bloke a moron for saying tolman is shit. If I didn’t see you name calling I would t have said anything..

Seems you can dish it but can’t take it

Apologies if you thought I was being a fuckwit

Tolman is still shit lol

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You stopped reading but than kept reading?

We actually do need Tolman in our side (for this year atleast) because the old board and Des decided to sign him up till 2020.

You gonna keep a seasoned player who is on probably 500k a year for the next 3 years in NSW Cup while we dont have any better starting players?

Tolman is currently a starter at 13 because Tualau, Fualalo are not better starting players. They are actually bench players at best.

Our middle wasnt too bad last night and Lichaa had one of his best games I have seen him while at the Dogs. Im not a fan of Lichaa, but you gotta give the kid credit when its due.

I have been calling for Jackson to move into lock this year but I was wrong. We have massive issues on the right edge and by moving Jackson to lock we will leak even more points on that edge. It wasnt evident to me up until last nights game. Against the Storm & Roosters alot of the tries we conceeded were like the ones we scored last night, scrappy, bounch of the ball, no structure. The Panthers had their lines and structures set up on that left edge of theirs which exposed Foran & Hoppa.

There is alot of people here who think you can just discard/swap a player under contract and replace him with whoever they want. It simply does not work that way unless you want to be a Parra under Ricky Stuart.

The bashing on Tolman is terrible. Its the previous coach and board who extended his contract. You want Tolman moved on while being under contract? Let the bloke play his big minutes and hopefully another club will snap him up with hopefully not hurting our pockets too much like Graham & Kasianos contracts. Once again to all members, TOLMAN IS CONTRACTED UP TILL 2020!

You have no idea how it works and i suggest you go play football manager on playstation any buy and trade whoever you want

So mr football manager YOU know how it all works? And if tolman is on huge money we shouldn’t drop him if we have better?

What he is being paid should be irrelevant

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
My son was at the game with his kids last night and said the same thing. Interesting that JJ defends on that side and the holes are still there. Foran seems to tackle OK in traffic so I can only assume they haven't got it together as a group yet. I think individually they are all OK - just not working as a group.
That side don't work together. JJ seems to push up aggressively , foran always seems to want to come in than hop is sliding or in one case last night back tracking and Montoya comes up past the ball slot. So it's just work in progress. I still think jj is the start of the problem and last year our right hand side had issues with jj Reynolds Lee and Montoya

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No i agree Tolman does well with his off the ball talk and defensive reads, i also rate his effort and desire to always be involved even though he gets in the way at times. But until he improves his physical presence or offers more with the ball in hand then he doesn't justify the big minutes. Yes he makes his tackles but he doesn't dominate them. Yes he also makes his runs but again doesn't make the metres or get the quick play the ball. I'd much rather Pay make better use of the bench to maintain intensity and momentum than giving Tolman the minutes just for the sake of it.
Just re-watched the game... Tolman did very well not to get domanted in tackles actually... Not just him but one thing I realised about yesterday's game is it was like they were coached not to get put on their backs which results in a dominant tackle. They struggled in every tackle from woods staying on his feet to Tolman twisting his body and fighting not to get put on his back in order to either to get a quick play the ball or a penalty. Great coaching considering the refs clamping down on the ruck and its interpretations.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
That side don't work together. JJ seems to push up aggressively , foran always seems to want to come in than hop is sliding or in one case last night back tracking and Montoya comes up past the ball slot. So it's just work in progress. I still think jj is the start of the problem and last year our right hand side had issues with jj Reynolds Lee and Montoya
Yes our right side has been a problem for a while and the only two constants have been JJ and MM. There must be some sort of communication issues out there. I think MM tends to jam in as well which creates overlaps. Still, they will have to sort it because we can't afford to keep leaking points down the right.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry mate didn’t mean to get you that upset. It’s just you called the bloke a moron for saying tolman is shit. If I didn’t see you name calling I would t have said anything..

Seems you can dish it but can’t take it

Apologies if you thought I was being a fuckwit

Tolman is still shit lol
Hahahaha fair enough dude everyone is entitled to there opinion. Tolman isnt exactly my cup of tea either just thought he deserved a bit credit for the win.

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’m not a tolman fan but I feel him at lock enables us to carry a far more balanced bench and keeps us on the front foot for longer. I just wish big Francis had been given abit more time last night.

Grimace

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Its been easy to see that in our first 2 games our D around the ruck has been cut to shreds. Enter Tolman.
Sure there are plenty of you out there that love to bag this guy, & I think its mainly due to his efforts with the ball. But lets not forget the most important part of winning premierships..... "DEFENCE"
On countless occasions I recall Tolman being that man who chased back on the inside to make that last ditch line break saving or try saving tackle. Remember that try saver in the 80th minute Vs Manly in that 2012 Semi on the try line after a break. Good thing is, this guy can do it well & do it for 80 minutes if required.
Every premiership team needs at least one of these guys in their team to just tackle their heart out non stop.
Remember our last premiership team - 13. GRIMALDI, I cant remember too many tackle busts or offloads but he always turned up in D when we needed him & we wouldn't have won it without him.
Yes Pay must of said to him do not take the ball up on 4th tackle cause it was mostly on the 2nd tackle

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yes our right side has been a problem for a while and the only two constants have been JJ and MM. There must be some sort of communication issues out there. I think MM tends to jam in as well which creates overlaps. Still, they will have to sort it because we can't afford to keep leaking points down the right.
The problem is they are all protecting Foran right now. He has been in rehab the whole off season and was blowing hard in the first half. Our right side D improved in the second half because Foran got angry from all the cheep shot late hits he was copping. Think once Foran gets his match fitness up we will be sweet.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve Reardons haircut was also very underrated

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't be opposed to letting Tolman go and shifting Woods to lock if Pay wants a workhorse type in there.

Woods is basically Tolman but a lot bigger and with an offload.

8. Tualau
9. Lichaa
10. Klemmer
11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. Woods

and if not then I'd like to still see Tolman fuck off and instead have:

8. Woods
9. Lichaa
10. Klemmer
11. Fine
12. RFM
13. Jackson

Does anyone think To'omaga would play on the edge for us, similar to how Panthers utilize Kikau He used to play in the backrow when he was a little smaller and younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.