Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Todd Carney fine, license suspended

Todd Carney fined, license suspended
Written by: Raiders Media
March 7th, 2007 08:50 PM

Canberra Raiders player Todd Carney has been fined $2,000 and had his driver's license suspended for 5 years, after appearing in Goulburn magistrate's court today. He was also placed on a 3 year good behavior bond. Todd is considering appealing the severity of the 5 year driving suspension.

Carney's fine and driving suspension follow an earlier meeting this week of the Raiders board, where Carney expressed his remorse over the incident. The Board also moved to ensure he was receiving appropriate counseling and the necessary support to get his focus back on his football career.

The counseling sessions will be a continuation of those that Carney has already attended since being charged late last year, and will continue until both the Raiders and Carney feel there will be no repeat infringements.

Carney has also completed a drug and alcohol awareness course since his infringements, and has been offered the chance to continue this program.

Carney was given an undisclosed fine by the Club as well as given the chance to prove himself to the rest of the playing group, by meeting regularly from the Raiders six man leadership group headed by Club Captain Alan Tongue.

Carney will continue to be monitored by both the leadership group and Raiders management, and has been cleared to play for the Raiders as of their round one clash against Manly.

Source: raiders.com.au

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
Todd Carney Pleads Guilty

CANBERRA star Todd Carney pleaded guilty today to three charges over a high-speed car chase in the national capital.

Carney, 21, is suspended by the Raiders and appeared today in ACT Magistrates Court.

He pleaded guilty to failing to stop when directed by police, negligent driving, and driving while disqualified.

The charges stemmed from a high-speed police chase through northern Canberra last month.

The court was told Carney had been having counselling with a psychologist and psychiatrist.

Several documents were handed to Magistrate Maria Doogan who adjourned the case until later today.

AAP

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Throw the book at him

Smiley

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i can't stand him. this is only part of a series of off-field incidents that the raiders have covered to save his behind. coming from canberra i have come across carney many times and his behaviour is disgraceful. he has been allowed to develop an opinion of himself that is so distorted it is quite sad. he is not well liked nor respected in canberra and goulburn.

other players have been sacked for less. the canberra raiders should be ashamed of themselves. it is ok to try to help a young player but quite another thing to actually facilitate his poor behaviour by doing nothing about it.

i feel better, thanks for listening.

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
Poor old Steve Irwin wasn't even driving and he got shafted. I hope carney realises that he wasn't UNLUCKY getting caught, as he puts it. But LUCKY he didn't run over someone.

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
Raiders Management Clear Todd Carney

THE Canberra Raiders board has ended troubled star Todd Carney's suspension and he could return to the playing field as soon as this weekend.

If Carney does play it will be in the second tier premier league competition ahead of a return to the NRL.

His comeback still hangs in the balance, though, with Raiders coaching staff yet to make their final decision ahead of this weekend's round 15.

Carney has been suspended without pay by the Raiders since police charged him with three offences after a high-speed pursuit in the Canberra suburb of Bruce on May 18.

The 21-year-old was sentenced to 200 hours community service in the ACT Magistrates Court last week.

A club spokesman said the board had cleared Carney for an immediate return to the field.

"The board met last night and cleared Todd to return," the spokesman said.

The current Raiders halves pairing of Michael Dobson and Terry Campese have performed admirably in Carney's absence but Carney should force his way back into the starting side once he's available.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Are they Clearling him again, Sh!t!!! IOf it was any other Club he would of Been Gone by now!!!

AC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can he be cleared though? lol - he was caught in the act.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It just that the Raiders needed to Keep him because he's a Big Bloody Part in the Chances of Making the Top 8 or atleast winning a Game...

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Todd Carney

let Sonny Bill run at you all day
this is all

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
**** just as I create the thread they take him from the field for a rest

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We Need Todd Carney

Apparently Manly have made a bid to sign Todd Carney for around 400k for the next 4 seasons, surpassing Penrith's bid.Personally I really think we need to make a bid for Todd Carney to replace Brent Sherwin. We really need someone who can steer us around the park. He is a fantastic talent and has all the skills.The club is in a situation where it has Holdsworth, Roberts, Groom and Barba who can play half or five eighth. Obviously Groom and Barba are our future. But I don't think they are ready to quite play first grade this year. I personally think we should let Holsdworth and Roberts go at the end of their contracts next year and use Barba and Carney as our halves and have Groom playing hooker with Sullivan. It's a tough decision that needs to be made but I don't have enough faith in Roberts and Holdsworth.What do you guys think.

riomhach

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Anyone but Carney! I'm not a fan of his, and i don't think much of his game down here in the ACT either.

=Sarah=

Long live MJ
Reaction score
todds a good player but we dont need more trouble at the dogs ffs

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would rather us sign carney then folau or anyone of those other backs

=Sarah=

Long live MJ
Reaction score
LG u so need 2 update ur sig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zappa

Punk in Drublic
Reaction score
No thanks. He's trouble walking and a smartass prick from what I can gather. He's got a lot of talent but not the type of bloke we need at the club.As everyone has pointed out,we have two exciting prospects in Groom and Barba,and I don't think Carney could provide the leadership and example that would help the young fella's to fufill their potential.Manly can have him.

Status
Not open for further replies.