TODD Carney looks headed to Cronulla-Sutherland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Daily Telegraph can reveal South Sydney had no interest in signing the troubled former Dally M Medal winner while the Gold Coast Titans have withdrawn their interest.

That leaves Carney with just one option - the Sharks.

Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan will meet with Carney's manager, David Riolo, either today or tomorrow, when it is understood the Sharks will table a two or possibly three-year deal.

The Sharks will, however, insist Carney agree to a number of strict discipline clauses before signing the former Roosters and Canberra star.

NRL chief executive David Gallop will also interview Carney before registering him for what could be his final chance in the NRL.

Gallop has been frustrated at Carney's ongoing promises regarding his behaviour. Photos in The Sunday Telegraph of a heavily tattooed Carney holidaying in Thailand, seemingly intoxicated, may not endear him to Sharks fans.

Asked how his club would handle Carney if he signed, Sharks chairman Damian Irvine said: "We would handle Todd exactly the same as the rest of our roster. We have a good, genuine roster.

"They know what is below the line and above the line in terms of behaviour. We have standards and expectations."

The rumour mill was flying on Friday night that Carney had signed a one-year contract with the Rabbitohs. But it is understood Carney was never in the plans of incoming coach Michael Maguire.

Having learned his trade under strict disciplinarian Craig Bellamy, Maguire never wanted a controversial player like Carney in his Redfern roster.

Souths also have little or no money under their salary cap. The Titans had expressed some interest in Carney but an offer was never lodged.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...-cronulla-sharks/story-e6frfgbo-1226168016882

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
If he does go to the Sharks, I'll give him about half a season before he finds the piss again.

KelpiesHuskies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
good player when he plays if they can put up with his constant garbage.

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
why o why won't the clubs let his career die off?

I for one would never want him here.. he has proven time and time again either he can't or won't make the lifestyle changes required of him and is problematic for any cub.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Sharks get all the rejects, Players only go there as a last option, I think some players prefer going to the UK than the Sharks, Poor buggers.
Good luck to him, and the Sharks, I hope for both their sakes Carney wakes up to life, but I just cant see it happening,

Mr. Sparkle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sharks get all the rejects, Players only go there as a last option, I think some players prefer going to the UK than the Sharks, Poor buggers.
Good luck to him, and the Sharks, I hope for both their sakes Carney wakes up to life, but I just cant see it happening,
They'll probably get more money too.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Is Tim Smith still with Cronulla.

FMD, could you imagine the sh!t the pair of them would cause together whilst on the piss

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where would he play?

Fullback? FiveEighth? Halfback?

1. Carney
6. Kelly
7. Townsend
13. Graham

or

1. Gardner/Kelly
6. Carney
7. Townsend
13. Graham

or

1. Gardner
6. Kelly
7. Carney
13. Graham

I think the 2nd one is the best. Having Gardner, Carney, Townsend and Graham will be pretty solid. Just need some experience in the team (De Gois, Gallen, Gibbs, Tupou and thats about it). Need a bit more solid experienced players bar Gallen. We will see how the youth playmakers go i Guess.

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
^^^ Word is the filthmonger Kelly will have his contract torn up if he is charged in his pending court case.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where would he play?

Fullback? FiveEighth? Halfback?

1. Carney
6. Kelly
7. Townsend
13. Graham

or

1. Gardner/Kelly
6. Carney
7. Townsend
13. Graham

or

1. Gardner
6. Kelly
7. Carney
13. Graham

I think the 2nd one is the best. Having Gardner, Carney, Townsend and Graham will be pretty solid. Just need some experience in the team (De Gois, Gallen, Gibbs, Tupou and thats about it). Need a bit more solid experienced players bar Gallen. We will see how the youth playmakers go i Guess.
Both Carney and Kelly proved early last year that they are never fullbacks in a million years. Kelly's few games there were the most out of position and out of depth I've ever seen anyone in First Grade. Carney was better, but still nothing like what he was at 6 (or occasionally 7). Besides, Nathan Gardner should have a lock on the Sharkies' 1 jumper for a decade.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wow. I'm not against teams signing Carney but Cronulla? After their history with players getting in trouble on the piss, with that whole scene in Cronulla where Northies and everhwere else is a trouble spot and with a young team that has some talent, especially in the same positions as Carney?

I mean, do they even think at Cronulla? Why did they sign Robson? Why did they re-sign Kelly who did really well in the halves? Why re-sign Townsend who showed great signs last year? What about Wade Graham who was handy? I suppose he can play lock but that still leaves 4 (3 if you discount Robson who isn't FG quality) into 2 at best. They'd have a lot of their cap tied up into 5 players who are all halves and all need to be playing FG. Even if this was someone's Dream Team it'd still be a mess.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Meanwhile Kose Leilei whom they bought off us languishes in god knows where.

Carney needs to get away from the NRL and away from the booze culture it brings with it. Either that or to a club without alcohol issues who can attempt to help him.

Bulldogs are one club that might be able to do that, despite Greenburg stating he didn't want him.

As much as I hate to say it, we need a good #6, and Carney concentrating on his game IS a brilliant (and currently cheap) #6.

Carney + Hodkinson under Dymock and Hasler would do wonders.

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
I think as long as Carney has free will he will go to the pub.

No club can baby sit him around the clock.

It's a lost cause I'm afraid.

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His problem is in the NSW/ACT area. Too much media. He needs to leave this area. If he went to Melbourne (who dont need him) or New Zealand (who also dont need him), or in some extent Brisbane (keep themselves out of trouble to some extent), he would be safer, he needs to be in a team where there is not as much time for the party scene (warriors are always travelling meaning less time to party with mates)...

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Both Carney and Kelly proved early last year that they are never fullbacks in a million years. Kelly's few games there were the most out of position and out of depth I've ever seen anyone in First Grade. Carney was better, but still nothing like what he was at 6 (or occasionally 7). Besides, Nathan Gardner should have a lock on the Sharkies' 1 jumper for a decade.
Ben Barba 2008 when he was playing FB

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
His problem is in the NSW/ACT area. Too much media. He needs to leave this area. If he went to Melbourne (who dont need him) or New Zealand (who also dont need him), or in some extent Brisbane (keep themselves out of trouble to some extent), he would be safer, he needs to be in a team where there is not as much time for the party scene (warriors are always travelling meaning less time to party with mates)...
Brisbane - Remind me about the Brisbane gangbang incident again :D
Melbourne - as you said don't need him.
Warriors - he can drink on the planes.

Maybe he can go play for Parra. They aren't and won't be celebrating for a few years the way their clubs imploding.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
"If he played for the Dogs, the NRL would have kicked him out years ago."

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Wow. I'm not against teams signing Carney but Cronulla? After their history with players getting in trouble on the piss, with that whole scene in Cronulla where Northies and everhwere else is a trouble spot and with a young team that has some talent, especially in the same positions as Carney?

I mean, do they even think at Cronulla? Why did they sign Robson? Why did they re-sign Kelly who did really well in the halves? Why re-sign Townsend who showed great signs last year? What about Wade Graham who was handy? I suppose he can play lock but that still leaves 4 (3 if you discount Robson who isn't FG quality) into 2 at best. They'd have a lot of their cap tied up into 5 players who are all halves and all need to be playing FG. Even if this was someone's Dream Team it'd still be a mess.
Thats funny, sad & true

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
^^^ Word is the filthmonger Kelly will have his contract torn up if he is charged in his pending court case.
Bring me up to speed, whats Kelly in striff for

Status
Not open for further replies.