Timeframe of Success

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How long should our fans be patient and give coach Pay to make the finals?

Taking the blue and white sunnies off few outsiders rate us any chance of finals next year, so assuming we dont make the finals in 2019, would 2020 be the final year of patience without finals, or should we be ok with waiting until 2021/2022?

Most of us arent used to long periods without making finals, the last time we didnt make finals 2 years straight was 2010/2011 under KMoore. Before that it was back to the start of the very start of the 90s with Bullfrog still around & her daughter Lynne and Anderson coaching.

Currently where on a 2 year run with no finals and outsiders think were looking at a 3rd year straight.

have to also consider the footy club board have said they wont make any major player signings until 2020 for 2021.

And then its time for the footy club elections back in Feb 2021 to decide on the best direction forward.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The squad we have for 2019 is not a top 8 squad on paper.
2018 wasn't a top 8 squad on paper but aside from the Titans loss the boys put in. Once the conjecture over contracts was finished and Mbye and Woods moved on we looked like a team who knew what they were trying to achieve as a collective but didn't quite have the class to achieve it.
We missed the polish of a class player or two to swing results our way.
Looking at 2019, I see the same result as 2018, unless Foran has a career best season which I think is out of reach with his injury history.
Should Pay continue to have the team playing close to it's limit based on roster and players continue to develop individually, I think he deserves an extension to give him an opportunity to see what he can do with a top 8 roster in 2020/21.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Taking into account that we lost up to 8 games by less than 6 points this year and the changes that have been made by coach and board to our roster, I am expecting a finals birth in 2019. Pay was given a free pass this year but Steve Georgallis proved that even with all the chopping and changes that he had to deal with during the year that a good coach will always find a way to be competitive and find a way to win. I think the honey moon period Pay was given is long enough and that his coaching strengths and weaknesses should be held under the microscope from 2019 and onwards.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Taking into account that we lost up to 8 games by less than 6 points this year and the changes that have been made by coach and board to our roster, I am expecting a finals birth in 2019. Pay was given a free pass this year but Steve Georgallis proved that even with all the chopping and changes that he had to deal with during the year that a good coach will always find a way to be competitive and find a way to win. I think the honey moon period Pay was given is long enough and that his coaching strengths and weaknesses should be held under the microscope from 2019 and onwards.
Did you take all the others teams losses by 6 points or less into account as well???

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The squad we have for 2019 is not a top 8 squad on paper.
2018 wasn't a top 8 squad on paper but aside from the Titans loss the boys put in. Once the conjecture over contracts was finished and Mbye and Woods moved on we looked like a team who knew what they were trying to achieve as a collective but didn't quite have the class to achieve it.
We missed the polish of a class player or two to swing results our way.
Looking at 2019, I see the same result as 2018, unless Foran has a career best season which I think is out of reach with his injury history.
Should Pay continue to have the team playing close to it's limit based on roster and players continue to develop individually, I think he deserves an extension to give him an opportunity to see what he can do with a top 8 roster in 2020/21.
2019 should be OK players finished the year very happy Mad Monday proved that.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Did you take all the others teams losses by 6 points or less into account as well???
Let the other teams take care of themselves, fact is if we had converted those close loses into wins we would have been knocking on the door of the top 8!!!

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We need to make the 8 next year, players like Klemmer and Jacko are gonna want to be playing in the finals during their peaks and to attract stars in 2020 we need be there at the end of the year.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Souths weren’t picked to make the semis this year and nearly made the GF. No expert has ever picked the correct top 8. We as Canterbury fans aren’t used to being down for too long and traditionally in the past 30 years we have never been down for long. I expect is to suprise next year and us to pushing for a premiership in the next couple of years

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Let the other teams take care of themselves, fact is if we had converted those close loses into wins we would have been knocking on the door of the top 8!!!
Some of these losses would’ve been averted had we had a competent goal kicker early in the season.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Souths weren’t picked to make the semis this year and nearly made the GF. No expert has ever picked the correct top 8. We as Canterbury fans aren’t used to being down for too long and traditionally in the past 30 years we have never been down for long. I expect is to suprise next year and us to pushing for a premiership in the next couple of years
What do you mean by 'suprise' .. finals?

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We need to make the 8 next year, players like Klemmer and Jacko are gonna want to be playing in the finals during their peaks and to attract stars in 2020 we need be there at the end of the year.
Sure but what if we dont make finals?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We can't, and probably won't, finish any higher than 9-10th with the spine we have and lack of a game breaker. At least 9-10 teams in front of us do have those basics. We have a great forward pack who keep us in games.

That's the best we can expect whether we have Pay, Bennett or Bellamy.

It's as simple as that.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m hoping next year, we make the finals but I won’t be calling for pays head if we don’t.
If we missed the finals in 2020 as well, then he’d be testing the limits of my patience.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Missing the finals sucks, and i'm tired of fucking excuses. ...

"We lost x games by Y points of less"
"We didn't have a goalkicker".

You know what winning teams don't have? Bloody excuses.

Last edited:

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoever didn't have souths in the top 8 this year must've been on heroin. They have got a great backline, a very strong forward pack and hooker and halves to match.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't give a fuck what the pessimists on here say, we will play finals footy next year... yea maybe not deep into the finals, but we'll be there. When Lewis was promoted he proved that we're a good team who just lacked a play maker

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Taking the blue and white sunnies off few outsiders rate us any chance of finals next year, so assuming we dont make the finals in 2019, would 2020 be the final year of patience without finals, or should we be ok with waiting until 2021/2022?

Most of us arent used to long periods without making finals, the last time we didnt make finals 2 years straight was 2010/2011 under KMoore. Before that it was back to the start of the very start of the 90s with Bullfrog still around & her daughter Lynne and Anderson coaching.

Currently where on a 2 year run with no finals and outsiders think were looking at a 3rd year straight.

have to also consider the footy club board have said they wont make any major player signings until 2020 for 2021.

And then its time for the footy club elections back in Feb 2021 to decide on the best direction forward.
2019 will test the mettle of our coaching staff, as it stands we don’t have any wing/ centre combinations, no established fullback & an untested halves combination. Our forward pack is competitive, but we need Ogden & Toomaga to make the step up. I would like Okunbur to be the 2019 revelation. To make the Top 8 we need at least one of our outside backs to score in excess of 15 tries next season.
The coaching staff has a challenging but exciting task ahead with our current roster. There is talk though of at least one more signing...

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

If we can find capable replacements for the Morris twins, and the boys stay confident and continue there late run of form we will be towards the upper middle IMO. If they lose the first few games and we’re down on confidence again, I don’t want to imagine what kind of season it will be. Either way #Proudtobeabulldog.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The spotlight shouldn't be on Pay too much, it's the management side we need to get right - signings, 3rd party deals to get around the cap etc.

Take the Roosters for example, give any coach that roster apart from Ricky Stuart and they'd win the comp.

Pay has proven he can get the best out of a poor roster, I think we over achieved this season. We are going to have to assemble a top roster regardless of whether Pay stays long term or not.

crack

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I would expect bottom eight or 9-12th worst case , but I wouldn’t be surprised if we are a big Smokey and just missed the top 4 , purely based on the shit we copped at mad Monday galvanising the squad and making work as a unit like the Roosters in defence and blindsiding a lot of teams. Wishful thinking , but how good would it feel to see that!