Opinion Time to pressure the nrl to reinstate Flanagan

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Haven't you learnt from 2002, never again should be the Dogs motto.
If we didn't do what we did in 2002 we wouldn't of had the team we had to win in 2004. The exact same situation the Storm put themselves in. If never again means a premiership like I said 2 years later sign me the fuck up.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I believe that after Holbrook he is the next best option for next season, the club needs to do everything in its power to apply to the nrl for Flanagan to be reinstated.
I think that the nrl would definitely consider if we request it. I know some on here will not agree but I think he can take us forward in the right direction and he can definitely recruit well
No more being mr nice guy

I agree but the question is can he do it without cheating?

All eyes will be on him this time

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We really want a proven Drug Cheat???

We've missed out on Holbrook, the club really doesn't need to make a rush decision like a certain Prop so many here are whinging about. Exactly the same.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I for one don't want Flanagan, sure he won a premiership, but he also allowed a program of injecting players with unknown substances to improve performance & recovery time from injury.

No different to the Chinese swimmer.

And don't get me started on the year he won the premiership was the only year the club weren't cheating the salary cap.

For me Kevin Walters or Griffin seem our only option.

All successful clubs and coaches are cheating mate.. if you think otherwise your living in a bubble.

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I for one don't want Flanagan, sure he won a premiership, but he also allowed a program of injecting players with unknown substances to improve performance & recovery time from injury.

No different to the Chinese swimmer.

And don't get me started on the year he won the premiership was the only year the club weren't cheating the salary cap.

For me Kevin Walters or Griffin seem our only option.
I did think Toovey will do us

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Lol dream on. The NRL are going to reinstate a banned person coz of a few angry kennelers? I'm thinking no.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we can start spending to rebuild from Nov 1 . I will be very interested to see the plan if say after round 8 next year we are in the bottom 4 again, the board will either have to extend the coach and allow him to continue recruiting players he wants/can get or sack him to allow a new coach to bring in his own players. Massive decision next year, get it wrong and we are in trouble for years again.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All successful clubs and coaches are cheating mate.. if you think otherwise your living in a bubble.
I don't mind stretching the rules on the ground but in 2002, it was going to be the Dogs year after 17 straight wins, until they were to be found caught cheating the salary cap to the tune of $1 million over 2 years , docked 37 points. won the wooden spoon, fined $500,000 and 2 senior club officials were charged with 21 counts of fraud, theft and forgery by the NSW Police; both pleaded guilty and were sentenced to nine years jail with a non-parole period of seven years, and were suspended from the NRL for life.

Never again I say plus I don't live in a bubble I just don't believe in winning by cheating to the extreme.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't mind stretching the rules on the ground but in 2002, it was going to be the Dogs year after 17 straight wins, until they were to be found caught cheating the salary cap to the tune of $1 million over 2 years , docked 37 points. won the wooden spoon, fined $500,000 and 2 senior club officials were charged with 21 counts of fraud, theft and forgery by the NSW Police; both pleaded guilty and were sentenced to nine years jail with a non-parole period of seven years, and were suspended from the NRL for life.

Never again I say plus I don't live in a bubble I just don't believe in winning by cheating to the extreme.

I remember what happened and the punishment.

If most clubs are cheating and you have a team of tolmans mr nice guy you ain’t winning shit

You say you don’t believe in winning by cheating to the extreme but your okay with cheating?

You either want to win at all cost or your happy to be a club that never wins shit.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe that after Holbrook he is the next best option for next season, the club needs to do everything in its power to apply to the nrl for Flanagan to be reinstated.
I think that the nrl would definitely consider if we request it. I know some on here will not agree but I think he can take us forward in the right direction and he can definitely recruit well
No more being mr nice guy
Hahahaha your man Justin who? Gone so you switch to being the spokesman of the peptide man. No scruples. Your agenda is simply anti Pay. Deans our man. I like what hes doing with the team. The future looks much better as we clean out the reserve grade players. Shit we dont want baggage. We dont want someone the NRL will be keeping a very close eye on.
All the same if the Board decide to go in a different direction I will support them. ATM they have selected Pay. Longer term if Pay is to be punted theres Griffin or Toovey or Walters that are probably a better fit for what we are trying to do, rather than the attention that a Flanagan would bring.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Never heard of anyone going to jail over the salary cap scandal of 2002, doubt if cheating the salary cap is a criminal offence anyway, can someone enlighten me on the matter, I don't agree with cheating but the way it was done in 2002 was showed stupidity beyond belief, there are many ways of getting around it.
We don't need Politis's knowledge and experience to show us how.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Has anyone considered that if Flanagan was re-instated he might just go back to Cronulla...? John Morris doesn't have control of that team, why wouldn't the Sharks want him back.

He is a drug cheat and a moron as proved by his continual involvement even after being suspended.

Pay is not the answer, players dont play for him, he hasn't brought the madness (except the mental scarring fans and sponsors are enduring) and nobody other toiler Tolman publicly talks him up as a motivator, tactician or leader of men .

The board knows there is unrest with both sponsors and fans and yet stays silent? Either they are completely oblivious to all around them or they are smarter than we give credit and are holding station until they have a real alternative.

February will be a disaster for the Anderson ticket if we are still at Ground Hog Day.

I mentioned in another thread how it might be time to look at Gus even though I swore after last time never again, but he was only 30 then and now he is 60. He also appears to be the only person we could turn to that would bring instant credibility to attract the right players and staff, has experience running football programs at the rosters and panthers and is connected better than anybody.

General manager of football sounds pretty good, and if Pay is a dud like many suspect he would be moved aside in a heart beat by Gould.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Has anyone considered that if Flanagan was re-instated he might just go back to Cronulla...? John Morris doesn't have control of that team, why wouldn't the Sharks want him back.
There's plenty of bad blood between Flanagan and the Sharks after how he left the club he won't be going back there again and couldn't wait to get Kyle out of there either.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm all for it if he can inject some stuff into Meaney and turn him into a hulk..

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did Melbourne cop the same harsh penalties? I dare say their systematic rorting was far worse than ours..

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's plenty of bad blood between Flanagan and the Sharks after how he left the club he won't be going back there again and couldn't wait to get Kyle out of there either.
Yeah there was a bit of who's to blame etc, but dont kid yourself about Kyle. Sharks were never going to offer the money and deal the Roosters did, he went for the $. There is enough love in that club for Flanagan to go back, especially if they continue to slide.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never heard of anyone going to jail over the salary cap scandal of 2002, doubt if cheating the salary cap is a criminal offence anyway, can someone enlighten me on the matter, I don't agree with cheating but the way it was done in 2002 was showed stupidity beyond belief, there are many ways of getting around it.
We don't need Politis's knowledge and experience to show us how.
Wiki never makes a mistake.

From memory it was bigger than just salary cap cheating, it included the Oasis project, Liverpool Council and the State Govt. Dont know who went to gaol or it was overturned on appeal etc but we were paying players extra and charging the Oasis project/Liverpool Council, some real shady shit.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wiki never makes a mistake.

From memory it was bigger than just salary cap cheating, it included the Oasis project, Liverpool Council and the State Govt. Dont know who went to gaol or it was overturned on appeal etc but we were paying players extra and charging the Oasis project/Liverpool Council, some real shady shit.
No one at the Bulldogs were ever charged over anything to do with Oasis or the salary cap. People at Liverpool Council got charged but that was over a bunch of corrupt dealings over many years.