Thompson

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree liking the look of the Pom, we can't afford to rest his aggressive straight attack.

Also thought I saw some promise in Ogden.

Lets see him in for the rest of the year.

Saint Fishy

Previously gareth fishwick
Reaction score
St.helens fan here. Hope Thompson goes well for you lot. I was gutted to see him leave.
He was a top prop in super league but theirs some big bodies in the NRL. Personally, i think he’s wasted as a first receiver battering ram and playing that role could take its toll on him over time. He needs to be getting the ball a couple of passes out from the ruck. Short balls off the half back etc. He’s very capable doing the hard yards, but he runs good at holes too and is very quick for a front rower.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
St.helens fan here. Hope Thompson goes well for you lot. I was gutted to see him leave.
He was a top prop in super league but theirs some big bodies in the NRL. Personally, i think he’s wasted as a first receiver battering ram and playing that role could take its toll on him over time. He needs to be getting the ball a couple of passes out from the ruck. Short balls off the half back etc. He’s very capable doing the hard yards, but he runs good at holes too and is very quick for a front rower.
Playing lock at the moment with our injuries, so may suit him better
Defiantly has a yard of pace, looking forward to seeing him settle in

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Any relation to “bulldogs fan here?”

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Playing lock at the moment with our injuries, so may suit him better
Defiantly has a yard of pace, looking forward to seeing him settle in
Fuck it, just throw him out on the right edge a shift Jackson in lol.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Welcome to the kennel mate. Are you suggesting he play second row or lock rather then prop?
He does look the goods. You guys lost a gun. Do you want tolman?????

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome, We are very happy to have the Pom, 2 games so far and nothing but praise from Dogs fans.

Any other players we should looking at in your opinion?

Also your thoughts on The Dogs signing Shaun Wane?

Saint Fishy

Reaction score
Welcome to the kennel mate. Are you suggesting he play second row or lock rather then prop?
He does look the goods. You guys lost a gun. Do you want tolman?????
Mmm tough call mate im not sure. He’s not a bad defender but im not sure he’d have that lateral movement to plug those gaps on the fringes. I think he is a prop forward overall or loose playing like an extra prop. I just think given his lack of size he may get worn down in the NRL if he’s relied on too much to play that battering ram role. He needs another decent prop to help him out i reckon. He had Walmsley at saints and they complemented one another.
No thanks pal you can keep Tolman haha

Saint Fishy

Reaction score
Welcome, We are very happy to have the Pom, 2 games so far and nothing but praise from Dogs fans.

Any other players we should looking at in your opinion?

Also your thoughts on The Dogs signing Shaun Wane?
Thanks for the welcoming messages gents.

Shaun Wane would certainly give the Dogs that seige mentality!!!

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looked up the St Helens site and found Walmsley who has been mentioned on TK a number of times.

Does anybody know anything about Matty Lees also from St Helens.

Perhaps Thompson can give the Dogs the low down.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Looked up the St Helens site and found Walmsley who has been mentioned on TK a number of times.

Does anybody know anything about Matty Lees also from St Helens.

Perhaps Thompson can give the Dogs the low down.
Come to the wooden spooners, where Tolman takes every 2nd and 4th hit up.

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcoming messages gents.

Shaun Wane would certainly give the Dogs that seige mentality!!!
This is the very reason id take shaun wane over trent the nancy barrett.

Malla

Reaction score
Slowed down a bit in the second half.

He still needs a few weeks to settle in and get used to NRL.

Also you look at the impact he has made already - he literally pushes up with almost every run in every set.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Tripehound

New Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone, just been perusing the site to see what you folks are making of Luke Thompson and thought I'd throw my twopenneth in. You, as you're already starting to see, have got a star signing with Tommo - I've seen him playing from his days in the under 11's at Pilkington Rec's and as he matured through the ranks at St Helens academy and never had any doubt about him going as far in the game as he wanted to. In the last ten years I've seen one other young forward coming through the ranks at Saints, and again I've seen him from his early years at his amateur club (Rochdale Mayfield) and in my opinion has even more potential than Tommo and that's Matty Lees. This kid is ferocious, as hard as they come, probably the nearest thing I've seen to a young Adrian Morley. He has a terrific engine on him and can do the big minutes he needed a few rough edges knocking off him as he tends to be a touch over enthusiastic but if I had any influence at the Doggies I'd be all over this lad, because as sure as "eggs is eggs" Justin Holbrook will be in for him at the Titans.

I'd also be checking out a young loose forward at Wigan called Morgan Smithies, another young 'un who is dynamite. Throw Joe Philbin in from Warrington (another all action prop) and your pack would be bolstered up tremendously. There's also an 18 year old half back on the fringes of the St Helens first team, Lewis Dodd, who will be the best British half in Super League in the nest two years. He already has several admirers in Oz after staring in the Saints academy tour to Australia last October/November.

I'd love to see all the British players staying in Super League but I really want to see the international game prosper and take its rightful position at the pinnacle of our beloved sport and the best way for this to happen, for now at any rate, is for our best players to ply their trade in the NRL.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Slowed down a bit in the second half.

He still needs a few weeks to settle in and get used to NRL.

Also you look at the impact he has made already - he literally pushes up with almost every run in every set.
He will get better but needs to make sure he owns up in defence from marker - has been caught out a few times when the ball comes back towards the middle.