Thompson out, Montoya in

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm struggling to see how our new recruit can't play today because of lack of playing/training yet Montoya is straight back after 18 months injured[emoji848]
Yes i know Montoya trains with the team more etc but why couldn't they have played Thompson for 2 x10 minute stints just to get a feel for NRL...I'm hesitant to criticise Pay but this one is strange.
Its not as though we are expected to win against Souffs so what is there to lose in giving him a run?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He hav sor bac

Reactions: DT

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm struggling to see how our new recruit can't play today because of lack of playing/training yet Montoya is straight back after 18 months injured[emoji848]
Yes i know Montoya trains with the team more etc but why couldn't they have played Thompson for 2 x10 minute stints just to get a feel for NRL...I'm hesitant to criticise Pay but this one is strange.
Its not as though we are expected to win against Souffs so what is there to lose in giving him a run?
The fact that we want something to look forward to today with Thompson joining an running out in the blue an white..!!

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I might be in the minority here but I’m glad we didn’t rush him. Imagine he does an ankle or a knee? The guy has probably run 2-3 days at training after being confined to about 40m2 for a 16-17 days (including flying in and driving to Sydney). That’s after strict social distancing rules in the Uk. Talking about under done, he would be blue if he was a steak. No where near medium.

Let him get into the routine, get some km in his legs. Let him learn our structure and game plan (imagine if he got the ball on the 4th and passed it, would ruin our game plan that has been in play for 8 years).

He is playing in the hardest Comp in the world against athletes that are 6 games back after a month of a mini preseason. He got off a plane, was confined to a hotel for 2 weeks and did his first training session on Wednesday. He might be ready next week, but I’m in the minority here that is happy pay and the club didn’t rush him. Best selection or non selection pay has done all year (even better then omitting Lewis).

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I might be in the minority here but I’m glad we didn’t rush him. Imagine he does an ankle or a knee? The guy has probably run 2-3 days at training after being confined to about 40m2 for a 16-17 days (including flying in and driving to Sydney). That’s after strict social distancing rules in the Uk. Talking about under done, he would be blue if he was a steak. No where near medium.

Let him get into the routine, get some km in his legs. Let him learn our structure and game plan (imagine if he got the ball on the 4th and passed it, would ruin our game plan that has been in play for 8 years).

He is playing in the hardest Comp in the world against athletes that are 6 games back after a month of a mini preseason. He got off a plane, was confined to a hotel for 2 weeks and did his first training session on Wednesday. He might be ready next week, but I’m in the minority here that is happy pay and the club didn’t rush him. Best selection or non selection pay has done all year (even better then omitting Lewis).
Learn our structure and gameplan?

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

You nearly lost me at structures and game plans but I battled on to see you were only joking, phew!!

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching the videos of his training regime in his Melbourne hotel room even other players were pretty amazed. They showed it on the big screen at last weeks game so I doubt he lacked fitness. He'd be stronger than all or most at our club / NRL. The story came out this week that Pay would let Thompson decide if he he would play. Who'se the coach / boss ?. Like we're only paying him what like $30,000 A WEEK or more, fans got little to hope for and it's rushing him to play this weekend?

Maybe if we had been professional enough to get him the f..king gym equipment in his hotel room a bit quicker instead of him having to wait a few days he'd be playing TODAY !

I agree. What's the harm in him coming off the bench today so he gets a taste before we suddenly throw him in for a full game ? Oh that's right it would probably affect Pay's master plan because he has a forward already in Toomaga he plans to use f..k all.

And yes Montoya is suddenly playing a full game in the centres most likely after not playing a single game since last year WTF.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree it's bizarre that Montoya comes straight back in when being so underdone. Harper should be starting.. Pay did the same with Sue a few weeks ago when he started after not playing at all for several months.

Still, I think giving Thompson a full week of training and sitting him out is the best decision to protect their key investment. Let's face it, we're likely to get smashed tonight with or without him. I can't wait to see him play next week though...

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hope any potential recruits dont read the kennel posts.
It would scare them off immediatly.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Just highlights that Montoya and JMK are his favourites

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Could have easily played RT's role for this one... a subtle 10mins wouldn't have hurt an athlete i reckon.

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i guess Thompson has to watch a game and learn what Tolman does on the 4th and 5th tackles. Then he will know the game plan.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Takes more then a couple of days to learn the MaDnESs.