This club has been under performing since our last premiership

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our club has simply been not good enough ever since the days of the 2004 premiership win, yes we have made finals and grand finals in between but it dosent mean that we have played to our very best potential because we have nothing to show for it. And this all comes down to the stooges running this club over the years, its simply not good enough. All i want as a fan is to see a well run club that is strong on the field and playing our best football each year and that comes down to the people at the top. As a big club we should always strive to be the best but we dont act like a big club, and we havent played like one since our last premiership win. We are a team that no one respects anymore and that hurts the most, and i dare say the players these days dont care as much as the players of the old days, as long as the money rolls in. The people running this club treat it like a business but they are playing with the feelings of all the supporters that look forward to watching the team play every week only to be dissapointed.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Been too long between drinks.. I always find it funny when people refer to us as some type of superclub

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We really need to bump this thread. It is so relevant that our club has underachieved. Due to a number of factors we fell off instead of created a dynasty. Our big fan base and rich leagues club hasnt translated to enough on field success. I hope Dean Pay can turn things around.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
from 2005 - 2018 I fell like we only have really been threatening to win the comp in 2006, 2009, 2012 and 2014. That's 4 years out of 14 and we are made out to be heavy weights in the comp. Sure we are financially secure and our leagues club is in the top 4 for $$ brought in but we never look likely to get there on the field even with our previous rosters with guns in the side. It's fucking shit lol. I was to little to feel how good wining a comp was in 04. I just want a premiership **** lol

Last edited:

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Loyalty to under performing players, is what has been underpinning the lack of “on field” success.

Too many on the list that are living on, and being signed on the form of the past. Or they are just good clubman, good blokes so we should sigh them.

The inept people in charge of retention and recruitment are from the same mould as the NSW selectors for the last decade. (Until Freddy came along)
They look through rose coloured glasses at players that are past it. Yet at the same time, not have the ability to see talent that is about to arrive!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Our club has simply been not good enough ever since the days of the 2004 premiership win, yes we have made finals and grand finals in between but it dosent mean that we have played to our very best potential because we have nothing to show for it. And this all comes down to the stooges running this club over the years, its simply not good enough. All i want as a fan is to see a well run club that is strong on the field and playing our best football each year and that comes down to the people at the top. As a big club we should always strive to be the best but we dont act like a big club, and we havent played like one since our last premiership win. We are a team that no one respects anymore and that hurts the most, and i dare say the players these days dont care as much as the players of the old days, as long as the money rolls in. The people running this club treat it like a business but they are playing with the feelings of all the supporters that look forward to watching the team play every week only to be dissapointed.
I'd like to share my experience today of how far down, and/or a laughing stock, our Club, has become out there in the wider community. I might rave on here but I am emotional and this incident speaks to me of our downfall you mention.

Gives me no joy at all to relate this story and if any smartarse ba$tard bags my post, I wish you 7 years of bad luck.

My mum died a few weeks ago and the nursing home have a memorial service each month for those residents who passed on during that month.

They read out the service sheet for the other 5 residents. A little bit about their lives and such.

My mother (and whole extended family) was a huge Bulldogs fan and the pastor read out her story of how she had severe dementia but still managed to have someone set the tv ready to watch her beloved Berries/Bulldogs when our games were televised.

Sadly, there was a few snickers from people attending and the celebrant looked up and said "Dorothy was a devoted Bulldogs fan...(snickers from the attendees) then said "I really don't know why"... and looked up at me...I felt I should explain that she was born in Bankstown.

It was a very solemn occasion and I teared up, yet people still felt entitled to have a shot and a joke at the Bulldogs expense inside a chapel.

I was devastated that things have got that low and the Club is perceived so poorly.

I want the Andersons and the new Board to fix this as soon as humanly possible.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Suppose the last 14 years will be because of dean pay to hey.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And that is one of the reasons a new Board was elected. Time will tell whether these people will be any better.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd like to share my experience today of how far down, and/or a laughing stock, our Club, has become out there in the wider community. I might rave on here but I am emotional and this incident speaks to me of our downfall you mention.

Gives me no joy at all to relate this story and if any smartarse ba$tard bags my post, I wish you 7 years of bad luck.

My mum died a few weeks ago and the nursing home have a memorial service each month for those residents who passed on during that month.

They read out the service sheet for the other 5 residents. A little bit about their lives and such.

My mother (and whole extended family) was a huge Bulldogs fan and the pastor read out her story of how she had severe dementia but still managed to have someone set the tv ready to watch her beloved Berries/Bulldogs when our games were televised.

Sadly, there was a few snickers from people attending and the celebrant looked up and said "Dorothy was a devoted Bulldogs fan...(snickers from the attendees) then said "I really don't know why"... and looked up at me...I felt I should explain that she was born in Bankstown.

It was a very solemn occasion and I teared up, yet people still felt entitled to have a shot and a joke at the Bulldogs expense inside a chapel.

I was devastated that things have got that low and the Club is perceived so poorly.

Sorry about your loss and the lack of respect people showed.

The club will be great again and she will be looking down from above.

My old man passed away in 2012, I wanted the boys to win so badly that year because he was a massive fan but it wasn't to be. Hopefully success isn't far away.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Sorry about your loss and the lack of respect people showed.

The club will be great again and she will be looking down from above.

My old man passed away in 2012, I wanted the boys to win so badly that year because he was a massive fan but it wasn't to be. Hopefully success isn't far away.
Thank you for your kind thoughts and they are returned to you for your Dad also.

I was flabbergasted that people were not respectful and laughed at her team. It wasn't Mum's family funeral where they were well aware of her love for the Club...but still I thought how sad that such a thing would happen on an occasion like that...it said a lot I thought about where we are and how far we have to go to get back the respect (and new fans).

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

There is a phrase for people like that "ignorant *****"!!!

Next time you go to a game you should email the club and at least get a spare ticket for your mum.

My Dad who is also a life long berries/bulldogs fan went into age care April 2017 as his Parkinsons got to a stage where mum couldn't get him to the toilet etc anymore. So mate I sort of understand and believe me there is nothing I want & like more than watching a winning dogs team with my dad.

Vale your mum.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Some people are just fuckin morons... we (nrl fans) share a common interest and should appreciate anybody who has a life long passion for any club they choose to support. Fair enough if you give someone a bit of banter but this is just shameful....
Anyway, i do feel for you my fellow doggy and the kennel is a place of love when it comes to things like this. Best wishes to your family.
One last thing, imagine all the great years that your mum experienced following the great Canterbury sides. She would've seen the entertainers at full flight and some of the great sides we fielded in the 90s and 00s. Those things will be with her forever and you can rest assure we WILL be back to a powerhouse one day soon.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
There is a phrase for people like that "ignorant *****"!!!

Next time you go to a game you should email the club and at least get a spare ticket for your mum.

My Dad who is also a life long berries/bulldogs fan went into age care April 2017 as his Parkinsons got to a stage where mum couldn't get him to the toilet etc anymore. So mate I sort of understand and believe me there is nothing I want & like more than watching a winning dogs team with my dad.

Vale your mum.
Thanks T10 appreciate your thoughts. A bummer to see our parents needing Nursing Homes but Mum's was a very caring place and looked after her well.

Sad aspect of her Memorial was I don't think they were being smarties...it was just a reflection of their distain for the recent Bulldogs I assume. It hurt that a few considered her team a laughing stock.

It's why I am riding my hopes that the current Board get it fixed and I am prepared to trust their ability and good faith (atm).

Life wasn't meant to be easy being a Dogs fan hey :grinning:

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Wendog22, We'll be back, don't worry about that. The dogs will reign again.
A lot of supporters and clubs envied our club for over 30 years. Thats why they like to put the boot in when we're down, and they would love to see us down permanently.
But that won't happen, we'll be back, that I can guarantee you.
As much of a mess we're in at the moment just know it's only temporary.

As the late great Bullfrog Moore said "Tough times don't last but tough people do" and we're a tough bunch don't worry about that.
My late father past away 8 years ago, and as I was sitting there next to him in his hospital bed watching him die. The dogs were playing their opening season game against Newcastle and we were getting beaten and eventually lost that match. I get a text message from a work colleague putting the boot into me about the dogs knowing very well my dad was dying. Wendog22, they will kick you when you're down, but it's so so much sweeter when we're on top and dominating, and it will happen.

They talk about the Bulldogs being the Family club, well I can tell you this extends out amongst the supporters as well. We are a family, and we bicker and banter amongst ourselves like real brothers and sisters do, but we all have a common love of the dogs and that's what brings us together.
I still remember being a young 10 year old in the Golden era in the 80's going to watch the dogs play in semi finals at the SCG.
For a young bloke walking into that cricket ground you feel the intimidation, the feeling of war battle in the air, the hate and dislike against the bulldogs from the fans of whoever we we're playing, Parra, Dragons, Souths and Balmain fans.
I'd make my way around to the old Bulldogs army on the old SCG hill(yes the SCG did have a hill lol) and you can see the Old Bulldog banners..."Mortimer Magic"..."Bulldog Brilliance" and a sea of blue and white faithful underneath the Mitsubishi Electronic scoreboard(who funny enough would be our jersey sponsor two decades later when we won the comp). As I made my way to the army and sat my bum down on the grass, the anxiety and fear would fade away knowing very well I'm with my family now, the bulldog family, they have my back and I got their backs. Blue and white jerseys everywhere. I was home and I was ready to go into battle with them. Always proud to be a BULLDOG!

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No club will ever assemble anything like a dynasty. The way the NRL is set up, this will never happen.
When a club wins a competition, there's pay rises all round. This puts the salary cap up and clubs have to shed players to remain compliant.
I guess its designed to level the playing field.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Some people are just fuckin morons... we (nrl fans) share a common interest and should appreciate anybody who has a life long passion for any club they choose to support. Fair enough if you give someone a bit of banter but this is just shameful....
Anyway, i do feel for you my fellow doggy and the kennel is a place of love when it comes to things like this. Best wishes to your family.
One last thing, imagine all the great years that your mum experienced following the great Canterbury sides. She would've seen the entertainers at full flight and some of the great sides we fielded in the 90s and 00s. Those things will be with her forever and you can rest assure we WILL be back to a powerhouse one day soon.
TD...Appreciate you taking the time to post.

At her family funeral we properly honoured her love for the Bulldogs and yes spoke of the glory days of the Entertainers that she had so enjoyed. Our club has always been the whipping boy it feels like but we've thumbed our nose at them and risen and will do so again.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
No club will ever assemble anything like a dynasty. The way the NRL is set up, this will never happen.
When a club wins a competition, there's pay rises all round. This puts the salary cap up and clubs have to shed players to remain compliant.
I guess its designed to level the playing field.
I wasn't alive but going off what some here on the kennel say and media the Dogs had a Dynasty era in the 80's. What would you consider a dynasty ??

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Wendog22, We'll be back, don't worry about that. The dogs will reign again.
A lot of supporters and clubs envied our club for over 30 years. Thats why they like to put the boot in when we're down, and they would love to see us down permanently.
But that won't happen, we'll be back, that I can guarantee you.
As much of a mess we're in at the moment just know it's only temporary.

As the late great Bullfrog Moore said "Tough times don't last but tough people do" and we're a tough bunch don't worry about that.
My late father past away 8 years ago, and as I was sitting there next to him in his hospital bed watching him die. The dogs were playing their opening season game against Newcastle and we were getting beaten and eventually lost that match. I get a text message from a work colleague putting the boot into me about the dogs knowing very well my dad was dying. Wendog22, they will kick you when you're down, but it's so so much sweeter when we're on top and dominating, and it will happen.

They talk about the Bulldogs being the Family club, well I can tell you this extends out amongst the supporters as well. We are a family, and we bicker and banter amongst ourselves like real brothers and sisters do, but we all have a common love of the dogs and that's what brings us together.
I still remember being a young 10 year old in the Golden era in the 80's going to watch the dogs play in semi finals at the SCG.
For a young bloke walking into that cricket ground you feel the intimidation, the feeling of war battle in the air, the hate and dislike against the bulldogs from the fans of whoever we we're playing, Parra, Dragons, Souths and Balmain fans.
I'd make my way around to the old Bulldogs army on the old SCG hill(yes the SCG did have a hill lol) and you can see the Old Bulldog banners..."Mortimer Magic"..."Bulldog Brilliance" and a sea of blue and white faithful underneath the Mitsubishi Electronic scoreboard(who funny enough would be our jersey sponsor two decades later when we won the comp). As I made my way to the army and sat my bum down on the grass, the anxiety and fear would fade away knowing very well I'm with my family now, the bulldog family, they have my back and I got their backs. Blue and white jerseys everywhere. I was home and I was ready to go into battle with them. Always proud to be a BULLDOG!
TD thank you as well and my sympathies go out yo you.The Dogs family is strong and why we are so passionate.

I wish fans would remember that and consider their fellow supporters a bit more at times...the vitriol can be overwhelming at times on here and people forget the bond we share as Dogs fans.

I have so many wonderful memories at the footy with my Mum, Dad and Grandmother watching our team.

I do believe this mess is temporary and that we have a Board now, that, although may not be perfect to everyone's high standards, we supporters have the best chance with them being able to clear it up and get back on track.

There's no one else but the new board atm and we want it done, so just have to be rock solid.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
TD thank you as well and my sympathies go out yo you.The Dogs family is strong and why we are so passionate.

I wish fans would remember that and consider their fellow supporters a bit more at times...the vitriol can be overwhelming at times on here and people forget the bond we share as Dogs fans.

I have so many wonderful memories at the footy with my Mum, Dad and Grandmother watching our team.

I do believe this mess is temporary and that we have a Board now, that, although may not be perfect to everyone's high standards, we supporters have the best chance with them being able to clear it up and get back on track.

There's no one else but the new board atm and we want it done, so just have to be rock solid.
DogWhisperer (DW)that shoud read ..my apologies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

Hey @wendog22,

Firstly sorry for your loss... It's never easy losing a loved one, so my thoughts and condolences are with you and your family during this time.

I lost my grandfather (sole remaining grandparent in Aus) a few weeks ago so know exactly how you feel.

People are idiots, and that's not the time nor place for them to be a smart arse about a supported team.

I'm sure I've mentioned before that when my grandmother died suddenly in 2015, she was a lifelong Bulldogs fan (as well as my grandfather). Both had followed the Bulldogs from when they first entered the comp as The Berries in 1935.

I reached out to both the club and Raelene Castle personally (on social media and email), it was a simple request. I wasn't asking for anything, just some words of condolence from the club that I could read at the funeral.

What did I get in reply? Zip, Zero, Nada, Nothing, ... not even the common courtesy of a reply... once again it had probably been passed (like everything else) onto someone else to do and never chased up. That's not Dibs fault, or Haslers, that's squarey on Castle.. and yet they had the audacity a month later to contact me directly (not a mail out) about renewing my membership for the following year.

It was that year I cancelled my membership and refused to renew it (there were other factors at play as well like not being able to ever attend games).

Status
Not open for further replies.