Status
Not open for further replies.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Hey @wendog22,

Firstly sorry for your loss... It's never easy losing a loved one, so my thoughts and condolences are with you and your family during this time.

I lost my grandfather (sole remaining grandparent in Aus) a few weeks ago so know exactly how you feel.

People are idiots, and that's not the time nor place for them to be a smart arse about a supported team.

I'm sure I've mentioned before that when my grandmother died suddenly in 2015, she was a lifelong Bulldogs fan (as well as my grandfather). Both had followed the Bulldogs from when they first entered the comp as The Berries in 1935.

I reached out to both the club and Raelene Castle personally (on social media and email), it was a simple request. I wasn't asking for anything, just some words of condolence from the club that I could read at the funeral.

What did I get in reply? Zip, Zero, Nada, Nothing, ... not even the common courtesy of a reply... once again it had probably been passed (like everything else) onto someone else to do and never chased up. That's not Dibs fault, or Haslers, that's squarey on Castle.. and yet they had the audacity a month later to contact me directly (not a mail out) about renewing my membership for the following year.

It was that year I cancelled my membership and refused to renew it (there were other factors at play as well like not being able to ever attend games).
I can understand your hurt Mr I...its times like a death in your family, and when you hold such a close bond with family loving the club so much that the emotional attachment via the Dogs comes to the fore.

We've been through the tough times and the good times. We get all passionate and even abusive but all on here should remember its only your family and Bulldogs supporters on here who really understand.

Raelene Castle cut you to the core because you knew how important it would be to have heard something tangible from the Club and showed respect to your lost one.

Thats how I felt about people snickering and the celebrant commenting in a derogatory manner at such a respectful occasion.

It really made me think that we have so much work to do to get the team competitive and to get the Club on track and popular again. In other words, I'm not happy that this happened and for all this crap, the Club still remains a laughing stock. The pain will be worth it if we become a force again and we are all proud to thumb our noses at the knockers. But someone (like Anderson etc) has to take drastic action to clear a pathway.

Bonehead fans say who cares let em hate us..but you cant be successful if you dont have a renewing fan base. How many kids out there are watching the Dogs and saying they want to follow us. We have to generate good publicity again.

I'm supporting the Club by supporting those who's job it is atm to pull us out of this mire. They mightn't, we don't know yet but lets go with that unless concrete evidence comes up that the new 6 (and Turvey) are in it for themselves.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Another thing ... in times of sadness and depression, something like a win can really boost your mood as a fan. To see your side lose, and lose, and lose... well as a fan it can actually kick off depression (or make existing depression worse). So you find yourself angry at the very club you love, because it's making you depressed.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all went south when people who didn't love the club got involved. Mainly Des.

Nice to see the Kennel has a heart too. Very hard losing loved ones and thoughts to those dealing with recent losses.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'd like to share my experience today of how far down, and/or a laughing stock, our Club, has become out there in the wider community. I might rave on here but I am emotional and this incident speaks to me of our downfall you mention.

Gives me no joy at all to relate this story and if any smartarse ba$tard bags my post, I wish you 7 years of bad luck.

My mum died a few weeks ago and the nursing home have a memorial service each month for those residents who passed on during that month.

They read out the service sheet for the other 5 residents. A little bit about their lives and such.

My mother (and whole extended family) was a huge Bulldogs fan and the pastor read out her story of how she had severe dementia but still managed to have someone set the tv ready to watch her beloved Berries/Bulldogs when our games were televised.

Sadly, there was a few snickers from people attending and the celebrant looked up and said "Dorothy was a devoted Bulldogs fan...(snickers from the attendees) then said "I really don't know why"... and looked up at me...I felt I should explain that she was born in Bankstown.

It was a very solemn occasion and I teared up, yet people still felt entitled to have a shot and a joke at the Bulldogs expense inside a chapel.

I was devastated that things have got that low and the Club is perceived so poorly.

I want the Andersons and the new Board to fix this as soon as humanly possible.
First,I sincerely offer my deepest condolences to you and your family,my thoughts are with you.
I remember you and I shared some stories in previous posts,where you mentioned how your mother and family are proud Berries/Bulldogs supporters,especially your mum.

Words come easy to me,but I'm speechless after reading your post.That's sad,regardless how the Bulldogs have/are performing,there is no excuse for that behavior.
Don't let ignorant animals upset you,remember to 'let your soul smile through your mothers heart and your mother's heart to smile through your eyes,she will scatter rich smiles in your sad heart'.

All the best my friend.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
First,I sincerely offer my deepest condolences to you and your family,my thoughts are with you.
I remember you and I shared some stories in previous posts,where you mentioned how your mother and family are proud Berries/Bulldogs supporters,especially your mum.

Words come easy to me,but I'm speechless after reading your post.That's sad,regardless how the Bulldogs have/are performing,there is no excuse for that behavior.
Don't let ignorant animals upset you,remember to 'let your soul smile through your mothers heart and your mother's heart to smile through your eyes,she will scatter rich smiles in your sad heart'.

All the best my friend.
Thank you DS...I first started reading the TK in 2002 after that devastating event and then we've all survived Coffs... but not without the ongoing insults and slurs and then we struck gold with the boys becoming Premiers. We have been a very successful Club and ridden the wave but now we are back in the pack.

We are realistic that it will be a painful crawl to get back up there..some will have to play their part kicking and screaming..just as long as the Board has the guts to do it....it won't happen overnight but it will happen as they say.

Mum (and all of us) will be vindicated in supporting the Berries/Bulldogs, in the near future, just as she was in the past :grinning:

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the 8th wonders of the world should be ......how on Gods Earth did Canterbury make the 2014 Grand Final !

Status
Not open for further replies.