Theory on why Gus wanted to play Flano

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
It’s smart long term strategy from Gus.

Barrett signed Flano, talked him up to the moon and then treated him like garbage without accepting any responsibility for his total lack of development (or regression if we want to be perfectly honest about it.) You can all rip on Flanagan as much as you like, but the reality is Barrett decided to sign him, spoke very highly about his talent snd failed to bring it out.

To let Flano go after treating him like that would be a terrible look for the club. It’s not how professional clubs should operate and Gus is aware of this.

By giving Flano a run now, Gus is trying to help the kid rediscover his confidence, hoping he will show considerable improvement over the preseason. If he doesn’t, he’ll be playing reggies for long enough that we can at Keats say we gave him every opportunity to be successful here. By this point, if we do need to move him on, we will be able to do it more quietly in a way that ring damage the club’s reputation.

Gus is a smart man. He knows cutting Flanagan loose now would be a terrible look for the club. As bad as he looks right now, giving him a little more time is best for both the player and the club’s long term image.

Barrett has been here for less than a year and has already created all sorts of problems for Gus. Gus is dealing with them in the best way possible, keeping our long term image and the welfare of our posters in mind. That’s the way to do it.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude the kid is rubbish. If baz wants to save his coaching career he should be on the phone to every club trying to Offload him. I don’t know anyone who would ask questions if we got rid of him tomorrow

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Barrett signed Flano, talked him up to the moon and then treated him like garbage without accepting any responsibility for his total lack of development (or regression if we want to be perfectly honest about it.) You can all rip on Flanagan as much as you like, but the reality is Barrett decided to sign him, spoke very highly about his talent snd failed to bring it out.

To let Flano go after treating him like that would be a terrible look for the club. It’s not how professional clubs should operate and Gus is aware of this.

By giving Flano a run now, Gus is trying to help the kid rediscover his confidence, hoping he will show considerable improvement over the preseason. If he doesn’t, he’ll be playing reggies for long enough that we can at Keats say we gave him every opportunity to be successful here. By this point, if we do need to move him on, we will be able to do it more quietly in a way that ring damage the club’s reputation.

Gus is a smart man. He knows cutting Flanagan loose now would be a terrible look for the club. As bad as he looks right now, giving him a little more time is best for both the player and the club’s long term image.

Barrett has been here for less than a year and has already created all sorts of problems for Gus. Gus is dealing with them in the best way possible, keeping our long term image and the welfare of our posters in mind. That’s the way to do it.
Bro cmon enough.

You would think tonight would be the night for Kyle to show that he's got a bag of tricks in his game, instead he showed the same pass 50 times today and the same kick 50 times as well

The simple answer is usually the correct answer

Kyle is fucking shit but because the rest of our halves have also been shit, it's just a plain shit swapathon

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Get over the "treated badly" narrative.. he was not treated badly ffs ..
It's ridiculous isn't it? How dare an out of form player get dropped. He's been recalled to the team four times and looks worse every time. Yet still people make excuses for him or say he was treated unfairly. He's not good enough for First Grade. There's nothing more to it than that.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It's ridiculous isn't it? How dare an out of form player get dropped. He's been recalled to the team four times and looks worse every time. Yet still people make excuses for him or say he was treated unfairly. He's not good enough for First Grade. There's nothing more to it than that.
Hes not out of form, he's just shit.

I seriously do not see any club in Australia or England taking a punt on Kyle.

Even if his father gets a coaching gig, the club will put in a clause that he's not allowed to sign his son (exception being west tigers they are that shit)

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Tonight I actually felt like Kyles pea heart was on display, I think he tanks it because he knows he won’t be here long term. There’s no effort in ANY aspect of his game.
Ps. He’s f’n shyte

sleepy dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

What a load of dribble [emoji23]

You’re way off my friend

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The roosters are a more successful team then us. After one year they told him to move on. They care about winning games and being successful. We need to do the same.

The best thing I read recently was Gus said footy first, community work etc second. I think the days of fluff and bullshit that we saw from people like Castle will be behind us soon enough.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude the kid is rubbish. If baz wants to save his coaching career he should be on the phone to every club trying to Offload him. I don’t know anyone who would ask questions if we got rid of him tomorrow
I agree, Barrett’s career is on borrowed time by molly coddling the so called talent. Flanagan doesn’t seem to be first grade material. If Barrett is going to get the best out of Flanagan he may need to draw on his own experiences. He’s a former half, so Barrett needs teach him from his prospective.On another note - I did read something last year on fox sports, that one of the problems with trying to coach Flanagan - is his dad, who sticks his nose into it and can’t let him just develop under coaches choices/decisions etc. It would be hard for anyone to coach someone, if that’s happening. Hard for Flanagan JNR too.

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
At the end of the day. Canterbury Bulldogs is a professional sports team. We are not a charity and it is a ruthless, cold business. I am all for Gus to sack, transfer or move on players to make this club a force in the NRL again.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
TK only reacts to shit/controversial threads tbh. I make a Patolo thread speaking positively and it gets 25 replies. I call our front row frauds and it gets 100s of replies.
Lol...nailed it.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
TK only reacts to shit/controversial threads tbh. I make a Patolo thread speaking positively and it gets 25 replies. I call our front row frauds and it gets 100s of replies.
Well not everyone... But I know what you mean.. some people like healthy debates, myself included.. I just can't deal with certain donkeys and I choose to ignore them..

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Get over the "treated badly" narrative.. he was not treated badly ffs ..
Yes he was. That’s why Gus is giving him a go now. Why else would he be doing it? Gus’s judgment >the judgment of every clown in this forum. Your fine self included.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes he was. That’s why Gus is giving him a go now. Why else would he be doing it? Gus’s judgment >the judgment of every clown in this forum. Your fine self included.
Hes doing it so he can sack barret and claim barrett picked him

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Bro cmon enough.

You would think tonight would be the night for Kyle to show that he's got a bag of tricks in his game, instead he showed the same pass 50 times today and the same kick 50 times as well

The simple answer is usually the correct answer

Kyle is fucking shit but because the rest of our halves have also been shit, it's just a plain shit swapathon
Tonight I actually felt like Kyles pea heart was on display, I think he tanks it because he knows he won’t be here long term. There’s no effort in ANY aspect of his game.
Ps. He’s f’n shyte
Serious question. Do you all think Gus hasn’t seen enough of Flanagan? Why do you think he pushed for kyle’s recall yo the team? Can only be for one of two reasons - he thinks the kid has something and needs time to recover from Barrett’s poor management , or he thinks the kid has nothing, but thinks the club’s reputation needs time to recover from Barrett’s poor management.

The only thing that is 100 percent certain is Barrett’s management has been poor.

Oh and if you’re all so convinced Flanagan is rubbish, why don’t you save a little Blake for the spud who signed him?