Opinion The Work Behind The Scenes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Juniors is not that big a deal
Look at melb storm. Built a dynasty without a junior base
Talent identification is better
Like how no one would give Slater a gig until storm stepped in
Typical of you not to mention that now Melbourne have lost their once in a generation top 3/4 players, they’re still doing well, but not winning premierships …

Who is ?

The club that does consider juniors a big deal …

Does 3-peat ring a bell … and probably many more to come ..

Juniors are not a big deal .. [emoji849]

Check yo self ..

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Spot on Dinkum. Very well said, and Great read indeed ;) Thank you kindly

The build up to 24 is much more exciting than it was 23.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
St Gregory's Football program is only strong from Yr 10 to 12.

I know of dozens of boys that started at St Greg's and their football program was so poor in Yrs 7 to 9 that they moved to Fairfield Pats , Westfield Sports High, Hills Sports High etc .

The quality in Group 6 Macarthur is no where as good as Canterbury Bankstown and Parramatta comp from International U13s and up.

Penrith have the best comp in NSWRL followed by Canterbury- Parramatta.

These kids are showing that with their numbers in those district clubs and their development.

West Tigers are a shambles and have been so for half a decade in the lower grades. Nothing looks like changing soon either...
Mick Potter was from St Greg's

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
So I’m at a Christmas drinks gathering yesterday and meet a bloke who works with Daniel Anderson at Bondi. Dan’s accident turned his world upside down but the Chooks are looking after him. We got talking footy of course and he made a couple of interesting comments. First he said that scouting kids has ‘never been more competitive - and not only in RL but cross code’. He then said ‘probably the most active club in this area are the Dogs - they’ve done some really good work in making the club an attractive choice’.

But his most interesting comment for mine was: ‘As part of our work we do competitive analysis across the board, not just at NRL level, there’s a bunch of measurements that we use and I’m not the only one who has called out the Dogs as a big future threat - the foundations are now there - many just can’t see it yet’.

Make of that what you will, just thought I’d share it with TK. Merry Christmas all.
IMG_7721.jpeg

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
So I’m at a Christmas drinks gathering yesterday and meet a bloke who works with Daniel Anderson at Bondi. Dan’s accident turned his world upside down but the Chooks are looking after him. We got talking footy of course and he made a couple of interesting comments. First he said that scouting kids has ‘never been more competitive - and not only in RL but cross code’. He then said ‘probably the most active club in this area are the Dogs - they’ve done some really good work in making the club an attractive choice’.

But his most interesting comment for mine was: ‘As part of our work we do competitive analysis across the board, not just at NRL level, there’s a bunch of measurements that we use and I’m not the only one who has called out the Dogs as a big future threat - the foundations are now there - many just can’t see it yet’.

Make of that what you will, just thought I’d share it with TK. Merry Christmas all.
View attachment 99059
Not at all surprised to hear mate. You don’t win 2 junior rep competitions in the same year unless you have a strong set up and commitment to the program.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not at all surprised to hear mate. You don’t win 2 junior rep competitions in the same year unless you have a strong set up and commitment to the program.
Exactly, it’s going to make its way to 1st grade and that’s something we have lacked. While we all want drastic improvements in 1st grade now at the very least we can be hopeful for the future.

The Karen’s on the other hand will never be pleased.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Agree mate I just found it interesting coming from a competitor. But fair play to him as he said ‘It’s part of my work to be realistic about what we see ahead - and if we’re not, we’re not doing our jobs properly’.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree mate I just found it interesting coming from a competitor. But fair play to him as he said ‘It’s part of my work to be realistic about what we see ahead - and if we’re not, we’re not doing our jobs properly’.
But but the clown crew said we are in the worst position ever and the club is getting run to the ground by CC and Gus.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
But but the clown crew said we are in the worst position ever and the club is getting run to the ground by CC and Gus.
Hopefully Santa has some left over common sense to hand out tonight :-).

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

View attachment 99059
It's fantastic to hear that from sources at other clubs. I remember not so long ago we could make threads about which team you could pick from quality juniors we just couldn't fit in our roster who were currently playing elsewhere. You'd usually have quality players you'd have to leave out. I miss when we had that much quality in the pipeline that we inevitably had to let great young players go. I want those days back again.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Speaks volumes of their commitment to success. And you’d expect that when you look at the calibre of their footy club board.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly, it’s going to make its way to 1st grade and that’s something we have lacked. While we all want drastic improvements in 1st grade now at the very least we can be hopeful for the future.

The Karen’s on the other hand will never be pleased.
I’m realistic about our lack of experience in the top grade. 2024 should be a little bit different. But it was awesome watching the younger grades this year and 2024 could be another strong year for them.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

View attachment 99059
That can’t be right mate, Gus is a fossil, the game has passed him, he can’t sign or develop players to save himself and has run the club into the ground

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Speaks to the difference between dissent for the sake of it disguised as "opinion", and working in the real world with real information.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
That can’t be right mate, Gus is a fossil, the game has passed him, he can’t sign or develop players to save himself and has run the club into the ground
You forgot the team n club has gone backwards under Gus. He has lost his mojo and can’t attract players.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I’m realistic about our lack of experience in the top grade. 2024 should be a little bit different. But it was awesome watching the younger grades this year and 2024 could be another strong year for them.
Everyone is realistic that we lack experience and lack certain positions, but the constant hate about Gus is just personal . The heap he walked into and building a club on the run and trying to stay competitive isn’t easy especially when the player market is so competitive. Development is the way out of it and instant success is the compromise for that path. Some supporters have fantasy league running through their heads way too much.