The Weight Loss Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Only shop around the perimeter of the grocery store; i.e. fresh food....completely avoiding anything processed.

Cutting sugar (completely, or) to less than 50g/day is ideal.
Metabolic syndrome associated with fatty liver disease is becoming a huge silent misdiagnosed dilemma, in that even non-obese folks who physically appear healthy, are in fact entering a Type II Diabetes symptomatology.

I strongly suggest everyone, whether interested in weight loss/gain or maintenance checks out "Fed Up" [video=vimeo;107524227]http://vimeo.com/107524227[/video]
http://vimeo.com/107524227

If you're experiencing difficulty shifting weight, consider looking at the added sugar content of everything you consume.

~cb.
wtf this video indicates that eating less and exercising more is not the answer, im highly skeptical

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
wtf this video indicates that eating less and exercising more is not the answer, im highly skeptical
Main thread of the piece I garnered, advocates significantly re-thinking the 'low-fat' dogma ..which resulted in increased added sugar in processed food.
Metabolically, basic carbohydrates spike insulin, increase sugar conversion to fat storage and fail to provide satiety; continuing the carb-cycle.

Check the whole video Rod, and the new one "That Sugar Film"

[video=vimeo;111994801]http://vimeo.com/111994801[/video]

~cb.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Check the whole video Rod, and the new one "That Sugar Film"
hmm ill try to watch them but i have commitment issues with these types of documentaries, it could be ADHD but every time i go to the doctor to confirm it i get bored in the waiting room and leave

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Congrats! I love people who get out there and lose weight. Don't let anything or anyone put you down. All I can say is, be patient. Results will follow, do some compound lifting (squat, deadlift and bench) to help weight loss and you will also get stronger :grinning: happy training!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I spent years studying the weight loss stuff (studying, not really practising). The science of it right now says that it's a simple equation of calories in verses calories out. Eat less and exercise more.

Of course that's the simple science, it's a lot more complex than that. There's still a lot of things that need more study. The main important things are:

1) Don't eat too much sugar. Avoid any sugars you can.

2) The more you eat, the more you exercise.

3) Eat a balanced diet including sources of protein, fruits, vegetables.

4) Avoid trans fats. Not just for weight loss, these things are horrible for your heart. This means avoiding any scientifically processed oils like vegetable oils unless you know otherwise.

5) If you exercise more you can eat more carbs (unless you're on a low carb diet)

Which brings me to the other part of the equation. Of all the fads diets I have seen the only one that I have seen take actual effect is the low carb diet. I know a lot of people that have gone on a low carb/high fat diet and lost weight rapidly. They even say that they've never felt better, have more energy, etc, but there is some downsides to keep an eye out for.

Every person I've seen that has gone on the low card diet and not committed to a good exercise program has ranted about feeling great but they don't look great. Sure they lose weight but they look tired and malnutritioned. Even if you are getting good exercise you need to balance the diet well.

The other major downside is that the low carb diet is a starvation diet. You may not feel like you're starving most of the time but your body is. It's searching for something it is accustom to for energy and can't find it. What this means is that if you start introducing carbs back into your diet then you balloon. The old evolutionary response tells your body that you're entering a winter with low food and it starts storing everything to the fat cells.

The other main thing is the potential danger of having a high fat diet. New research suggests that maybe saturated fat isn't bad for us but there isn't enough research to confirm that. As far as we know saturated fat still causes heart disease and until we can prove otherwise it's what you have to assume.

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Three very simple rules to being fit and healthy.

1. Eat cleanly
2. Get your body moving
3. Drink lots of water

Your stomach should be looked at as three quarters. One third for water, One third for food and One third for oxygen.

People think doing all three is easy, the catch is BEING CONSISTENT. Now that's some free advice and it has worked for a lot of people I know including myself.

Three side-effects: Happiness, radiance and amazing health.

N

Natboy

Lite n easy. If people don't lose weight on that they have blood or thyroid problems.
Spend the time you save cooking on exercise

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lite n easy. If people don't lose weight on that they have blood or thyroid problems.
A mate of mine has done that. If you you only eat the meals provided you have to lose weight. Plus for single people who don't like cooking for one it is a great alternative to Dominoes and kfc.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My house mate eats those. Problem is they smell horrible a lot of the time and he tends to eat Maccas and KFC in between light n easy meals.

Dogandgunner

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My brother lost about 20kgs on those, i tried to get them but they dont deliver up here, plus i doubt they have a great vego selection lol..One of my biggest problems is i am a chef so food is a big part of my life, always having to taste things.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
all good advice. the problem im having atm is i wanna get rid of my pot belly (everything else im pretty happy with). im eating relatively clean, hardly any sugars and im always at the gym doing weights and some cardio. now, everyone tells me to eat, eat, eat if i wanna grow more muscle which means more calories. but atm im trying to eat less and still cant seem to get rid of the belly/ how can i eat a shitload of calories and still burn fat? and vice-versa, how can i be calorie deficient without losing muscle?
its been bugging me for ages. i mean, i know what i have to do to lose weight coz ive done it before, but not at the expense of losing muscle.

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
lol i usually do 6kms before work, 5kms walking and 1km jogging then hit the rowing machine for 20 mins, plus i walk 4kms total to and from work..there is a new 24 hour gym opening soon so im gonna join that too. Im off to Bali in 4 months so i want to lose at least 15kgs more before then.
Don't need to loose any weight before then... just drink some of the water over there and you will loose the weight quick smart. My weight loss tips: Call off your engagement. I did that and lost 15kg. Best thing I ever did. Lost weight and got rid of my fiancee... WIN WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dogandgunner

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't need to loose any weight before then... just drink some of the water over there and you will loose the weight quick smart. My weight loss tips: Call off your engagement. I did that and lost 15kg. Best thing I ever did. Lost weight and got rid of my fiancee... WIN WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Already married mate :-P lol

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
all good advice. the problem im having atm is i wanna get rid of my pot belly (everything else im pretty happy with). im eating relatively clean, hardly any sugars and im always at the gym doing weights and some cardio. now, everyone tells me to eat, eat, eat if i wanna grow more muscle which means more calories. but atm im trying to eat less and still cant seem to get rid of the belly/ how can i eat a shitload of calories and still burn fat? and vice-versa, how can i be calorie deficient without losing muscle?
its been bugging me for ages. i mean, i know what i have to do to lose weight coz ive done it before, but not at the expense of losing muscle.
Avoid anything high in gas like beer, beans, cabbage. Only eat red meat 1 or 2 times per week. Eat lots of fruit.

With a healthy diet you should lose weight everywhere equally. If you lose weight everywhere but your stomach it's usually either something in your diet causing too much gas which causes bloating, or a stomach problem/allergy. You can always go to a gastroenterologist who can rule out medical issues.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My fiancee weighs about 55 kgs, but I hear losing that much weight can be dangerous for your health.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Lift heavy. Biggest mistake is people using the word 'tone' lol

Bluewhite93

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
the secret three prop tren masteron, woops i mean eating healthy, exercise regularly and rest well

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Simple answer and my moto

Don't let you diet control your life, let your life control your diet.

Eat whatever you want, in moderation. To lose weight is very, very simple maths "Calorie Deficit" or in simple terms eat less that would you would normally eat from maintaining your weight and exercise.

Calories in verse Calories out! no need to do cardio if your sole goal is to lose weight.

I kringe when people tell me they're on a low carb diet, doing 5-2 diets, 600cals for 2 days etc... fk that. You can live a good eating life and reach your goals

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Best way to burn fat from the belly is cycling!

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Avoid anything high in gas like beer, beans, cabbage. Only eat red meat 1 or 2 times per week. Eat lots of fruit.

With a healthy diet you should lose weight everywhere equally. If you lose weight everywhere but your stomach it's usually either something in your diet causing too much gas which causes bloating, or a stomach problem/allergy. You can always go to a gastroenterologist who can rule out medical issues.
yeah youre probably right about the bloating part. hmmm... ill just have to find out what it is thats making me bloat out. it may be the bread thats causing it? i dunno. but im eliminating it from now on and see how i go.

i thought eating lots of fruit was a bad thing coz the excess sugar eventually turned to fat?

Best way to burn fat from the belly is cycling!
i do some cycling along with jogging and hiit when i can be farked lol. ill concentrate a bit more on the cycling. thanks moseph :D

Status
Not open for further replies.