The Unlosable Match

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
21 is a low , that’s carried on as the trend of recent years, we may hit Rock bottom this year and have , I still believe we can avoid the SPOON, but 22 will be a clean slate an a chance for the Great chiseled one to do his thing.. yes I am smashing my support for TBAZ. But if he fails next year I’m very happy to watch him walk and like Pay the sack Barrett threads will be Fair game,

but guys, we have the best looking smooth coach in the NRL, and If he prevails, then so do we as doggies supporters.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell me something did you really think the dogs were going to win against Canberra?
Canberra lost 5 in a row.

We where in the game the whole time until they where down to 12 men and Elliot gave away a penalty then katoa gave a six again, we where on the back foot Canberra with all the momentum and they scored,

after that we didn’t touch the ball for 5 minutes.
Point is it took 2 morons to fuck us up and we struggled to close the game.
Let's put this match into perspective.
Going into this match I didn't expect us to win despite Canberra losing 5 in a row because our side is shite. However when you're in the lead with 20 minutes to go against 11/12 men it takes an incredibly shite side to lose. The 2 men in the bin/sent off were 2 origin players - their main playmaker Wighton and according to experts in last years finals "the world's best prop" in Papali.
Yesterday's train wreck was like the worst episode of Air Crash Investigation in that a sequence of events in this case caused by severe stupidity cost us the game.
Failure to take a penalty kick when 12-8 in front.
Kick the ball dead and give opposition 7 tackles and 20m restart when the opposition were down in numbers.
Elliot being his usual self.
Letting in tries when the opposition is a man/2 men down.
There's no such thing as a free lunch until yesterday and this disgrace of a side couldn't even cash in on it.

EzyB

Banned
Reaction score
Let's put this match into perspective.
Going into this match I didn't expect us to win despite Canberra losing 5 in a row because our side is shite. However when you're in the lead with 20 minutes to go against 11/12 men it takes an incredibly shite side to lose. The 2 men in the bin/sent off were 2 origin players - their main playmaker Wighton and according to experts in last years finals "the world's best prop" in Papali.
Yesterday's train wreck was like the worst episode of Air Crash Investigation in that a sequence of events in this case caused by severe stupidity cost us the game.
Failure to take a penalty kick when 12-8 in front.
Kick the ball dead and give opposition 7 tackles and 20m restart when the opposition were down in numbers.
Elliot being his usual self.
Letting in tries when the opposition is a man/2 men down.
There's no such thing as a free lunch until yesterday and this disgrace of a side couldn't even cash in on it.
I agree with everything you said and it showed how a senior leader of the team in Elliot started the down fall we looked lost .
We played better when it was 13 on 13.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with everything you said and it showed how a senior leader of the team in Elliot started the down fall we looked lost .
We played better when it was 13 on 13.
That just shows how inept our team is. This side was given the football equivalent of a Bradbury, the difference being they couldn't even fall over the finish line when it was wide open but instead did everything possible to put the opposition back in front.

Pheonixss

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That game really pissed me off. Purely because at half time i thought we’d win. And then we completely stuffed it up.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dr. Hewson will always be remembered for losing the "unlosable election" in 1993 against Paul Keating after that infamous "Cake and GST" radio interview during a recession, record interest rates and mass unemployment. Congratulations to the 2021 Dogs side after today's disgraceful capitulation against an 11/12 Canberra side - you have taken that cake from Dr Hewson.
Wasn't it an interview with Mike Willesee?

Interest rates peaked at about 17% in 1990 before coming down in 1993 to approx 9.5% & as low as 8.9%. Hewson also had the personality of a wet fish.

And as for the unlosable match, you obviously haven't been watching the Bulldogs in recent times. It has been quite common for teams to score tries against us when they have been a man down & even sometimes have scored 2. Yes the Raiders had 2 players off at one time but it was for only 2 minutes & although Katoa isn't much of a winger, having to put Chris Smith in the centres as a result of Katoa's injury does affect the team. I also think the Raiders lifted considerably when Papalii was sent off & unfortunately we didn't. The Bulldogs desire to win games is lacking big time & they have formed a habit of losing. Perhaps if the Raiders' first try had been called back for obstruction we may have won it, but then everything else from there changes too. The biggest issue other than talent we have is with psychology. Also as sometimes happens, teams who have players sent off or sin binned seem to get a little sympathy from the whistleblower & the tide seemed to turn there as well.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't it an interview with Mike Willesee?

Interest rates peaked at about 17% in 1990 before coming down in 1993 to approx 9.5% & as low as 8.9%. Hewson also had the personality of a wet fish.

And as for the unlosable match, you obviously haven't been watching the Bulldogs in recent times. It has been quite common for teams to score tries against us when they have been a man down & even sometimes have scored 2. Yes the Raiders had 2 players off at one time but it was for only 2 minutes & although Katoa isn't much of a winger, having to put Chris Smith in the centres as a result of Katoa's injury does affect the team. I also think the Raiders lifted considerably when Papalii was sent off & unfortunately we didn't. The Bulldogs desire to win games is lacking big time & they have formed a habit of losing. Perhaps if the Raiders' first try had been called back for obstruction we may have won it, but then everything else from there changes too. The biggest issue other than talent we have is with psychology. Also as sometimes happens, teams who have players sent off or sin binned seem to get a little sympathy from the whistleblower & the tide seemed to turn there as well.
Keating did an interview where he had a cake and took the whole mickey out of Hewson's GST proposal which turned the tide of the election.
Interest rates were around 17 to 17.5% in the early 90's which my parent's generation had to cope with.
The graduate salary in 1994 for engineers and lawyers was 25k. A 4 cylinder camry back then cost 34k. Today a Camry is less than half the wage of a graduate salary.
90% of uni grads were unemployed in the early 90's due to "the recession we had to have".
Point is if Dr Hewson had kept his mouth shut and said nothing he would have romped in. Instead he proposed a tax which no one understood and he couldn't explain it to the public. School leaver Keating outsmarted PhD Hewson using common sense.

>"you obviously haven't been watching the Bulldogs in recent times."
I switch on and off watching the Dogs because they no longer resemble the Entertainers that I grew up with in the late 70's to the mid 80's Dogs of War.
This game was a watershed because of our losing streak and to be gifted the game on a silver platter with the opposition losing 2 key origin players for a period of time and then lose the game because of stupidity is unforgivable. Especially when the opposition was top 4 from last year and out of form losing it's last 5.

>"The biggest issue other than talent we have is with psychology."
The biggest issue is NOT pyschology. Our players have NO common sense. They lack basic skills and awareness. They are shite and no amount of psychology will turn a turd into gold. When you're up 12 to 8 and gifted a penalty you shoot for goal to get the 6 point buffer. When you have 13 against 11/12 it takes a lot of stupidity to kick the ball dead and invite the opposition back into the game.
You don't need 50 NRL games to work that out.

Last edited:

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Keating did an interview where he had a cake and took the whole mickey out of Hewson's GST proposal which turned the tide of the election.

From my memory, it has always been the Willesee interview that killed him.

Interest rates were around 17 to 17.5% in the early 90's which my parent's generation had to cope with.

As I said, interest rates were 17% in 1990 but the date you mentioned was 1993 & by that time they were down to 9.5%

I knew it couldn't be that high in 1993 because I had a home loan, but then home loan prices were a LOT lower.

The graduate salary in 1994 for engineers and lawyers was 25k. A 4 cylinder camry back then cost 34k. Today a Camry is less than half the wage of a graduate salary. a lot of that is thanks to things made in China & other poor countries.

90% of uni grads were unemployed in the early 90's due to "the recession we had to have".
Point is if Dr Hewson had kept his mouth shut and said nothing he would have romped in.

I don't think he could have kept his mouth shut. He was going to introduce his GST as his key policy & had to explain it & he fumbled it badly.

Instead he proposed a tax which no one understood and he couldn't explain it to the public. School leaver Keating outsmarted PhD Hewson using common sense. correct

>"you obviously haven't been watching the Bulldogs in recent times."
I switch on and off watching the Dogs because they no longer resemble the Entertainers that I grew up with in the late 70's to the mid 80's Dogs of War.
This game was a watershed because of our losing streak and to be gifted the game on a silver platter with the opposition losing 2 key origin players for a period of time (2 players was a total of 3 minutes) and then lose the game because of stupidity is unforgivable. Especially when the opposition was top 4 from last year and out of form losing it's last 5. Maybe out of form but they still have a much better team than ours.

>"The biggest issue other than talent we have is with psychology."
The biggest issue is NOT pyschology. Our players have NO common sense. They lack basic skills and awareness. They are shite and no amount of psychology will turn a turd into gold.
They have shown in parts when they get agro (see when Hetherington got sent off) that they CAN play with more passion & THAT is psychology! I agree that common sense is poor & they lack skills & awareness, but they could win more games & be more competitive IF they REALLY wanted to win. If their lives depended on it, you would see a marked difference in performance.

When you're up 12 to 8 and gifted a penalty you shoot for goal to get the 6 point buffer. probably, unless you think the opposition is about to break. When you have 13 against 11/12 it takes a lot of stupidity to kick the ball dead and invite the opposition back into the game. or it was the pressure that got to an inexperienced player.
You don't need 50 NRL games to work that out. They are all demoralised, they don't trust each other & most likely some have been told that they aren't going to have a contract next season. How would that affect YOUR psychology?

eman & the Utai SLAM

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Its because we genuinely had a great chance of winning. Playing Melbourne or Penrith we all know 0-40 is what its going to be.

The game against canberra who had lost 5 games prior, who were in a huge rut , then our players some actually playing some good footy eg avo and Thompson. Then hoppa made a clean line break!!

With Paps getting sent off around the 60minute mark and dogs at 12-8, i think we were all entitled to think that this was an unlosable game…

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Wakeham and another dogs player was giving shit to Raiders fans after Papa got sent off and Canberra replied immediately with 2 tries. The Raiders players went straight to the same fans Wakeham was stirring and celebrated with them.

Reminds me of Masons antics in the prelim vs Broncos in 06.
Lol I love petty shit like this.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
>"From my memory, it has always been the Willesee interview that killed him."
No it was the performance of Keating in interviews (which I recall as being before the Willesee interview. Hence Willesee mentioned the cake) and in parliament where he lampooned Hewson who had no answer. It was a masterclass in politics from Keating.

>"As I said, interest rates were 17% in 1990 but the date you mentioned was 1993 & by that time they were down to 9.5%"
I was referring to the General Election in 1993 when the country had to endure a recession and record high interest rates under the Keating government leading up to that election. I did not say that the interest rate was 17.5% in 1993.

>"I knew it couldn't be that high in 1993 because I had a home loan, but then home loan prices were a LOT lower."
Back then it took the average Australian more than 20 years to pay off their home loan because there was NO offset account offered by the banks. Between the 50's to early 90's a university degree was a real achievement unlike today. Today you can get a PhD for researching No Idea and Woman's Weekly magazines and twitter.

>"a lot of that is thanks to things made in China & other poor countries."
No. China has nothing to do with graduate salaries in this country. The top salary bracket for the highest tax margin in the 90's was 50k. Very few people earned more than 50k other than surgeons, dentists, investment bankers, experienced lawyers and professionals with more than 20 years experience.
In fact Australia is probably the only country in the world where tradies such as brickies, plumbers, electricians etc can make FAR more money than degree qualified engineers. This would be unthinkable in countries such as Germany and Japan.

>"I don't think he could have kept his mouth shut. He was going to introduce his GST as his key policy & had to explain it & he fumbled it badly."
That's why Dr Hewson will always be remembered for losing the unlosable election. Much like the 2021 Dogs will be remembered for sinking to new lows of incompetence.

>"Maybe out of form but they still have a much better team than ours."
Totally my point. A golden opportunity to beat the 2019 Grand Finalists and top 4 from last year but our team shite the bed instead.

>"They have shown in parts when they get agro (see when Hetherington got sent off) that they CAN play with more passion & THAT is psychology! ..."
You are confusing passion with head high tackles and recklessness. Hetherington got sent off because of his ill discipline. For passion see our 1998 side which had little natural talent but relied on their fitness and will to win to scrape into the finals series and then stage incredible come backs such as 16-0 down against defending premiers Newcastle lead by future "immortal" Andrew Johns + a host of rep players and the unforgettable comeback 18-2 down against Parra in the GF qualifier.

>"probably, unless you think the opposition is about to break."
Not when our team would struggle to score in a brothel. It was a no brainer to kick for goal.

>"or it was the pressure that got to an inexperienced player."
See Sam Walker who has far less experience but a lot more common sense and skill.

>"They are all demoralised, they don't trust each other & most likely some have been told that they aren't going to have a contract next season. How would that affect YOUR psychology?"
It does not affect my psychology. I'm an IT contractor so I know in advance if my client will renew my contract or not. When my contract finishes up I ensure my work is properly documented, provide a handover and look for new opportunities elsewhere in the job market otherwise I have no income to pay the bills. It's part of the territory of being a contractor which is effectively what NRL players are. The difference is that too many NRL players are a bunch of man babies and need a baby sitter off the field (see Coffs 2004 and all the recent court cases involving NRL players). I don't recall league players from the 70's and 80's doing the sordid stuff that too many of today's players do off the field.