Opinion The ultimate family dogs

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Looking at getting a family dog which is great with small children (5 year old and 2 year old)

I only ever owned German Shepherds and Doberman's when i was living at home with my parents

Both are great breeds though with a young family now, i want a smaller, more manageable dog which is great with children and easy to train

Any recommendations out there?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If you want a smaller dog that isn't super small then get a cavoodle. Only bad thing about them is seperation anxiety so be on that from the start.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at getting a family dog which is great with small children (5 year old and 2 year old)

I only ever owned German Shepherds and Doberman's when i was living at home with my parents

Both are great breeds though with a young family now, i want a smaller, more manageable dog which is great with children and easy to train

When I was a youngster, we had an Australian Terrier. He was a great dog. A friend of mine has a Beagle. It's super friendly and great with kids.

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If you want a smaller dog that isn't super small then get a cavoodle. Only bad thing about them is seperation anxiety so be on that from the start.
I'm getting anxiety with the prices for these pure breed dogs

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm getting anxiety with the prices for these pure breed dogs
They're mutts but they actually cost more than pure breeds and it's stupid lol.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Always loved staffies (Staffordshire Bull terriers). Only the English variety though. They're a beautiful breed that'll love the whole family.
Agreed. Iv always grown up with rotties, which do make great family dogs when trained right, but staffies are great with kids and easily trainable.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
They are freaking hyper-active and jump on anyone that comes into the house. There are 4 in my wifes family lol - they don't sit still.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

If money isn't an object I'd go with the Alaskan Klee Kai. They are a skinnier and smaller version of the Siberian Husky. Being smaller means they can handle our warmer conditions better than the husky can.

However there's only one registered breeder in Sydney and you're looking at coughing up $8000 for it.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
A7EC22A9-2B0D-4EA1-96D8-517BF3DBFC62.jpeg

Go a Pug they are pretty much untrainable and are not cheap but they can’t hurt flies and the family they get attached to is their life they want to be with them every second of every day. Untrainable is not exactly right as they will do sit and they won’t leave your side so you can walk them without a lead they love kids as I guess they see them as smaller people their size and you will never get out of the park because every kid wants to pat pig the pug and they want to lick them to death oh and they are real pigs they love their food. They do get a bit over excited by things like when you get home so prepare for the zoomies. They are happy to play all day or just sleep and snore all day. And they love going to Newtown Jets games as you can see.

Last edited:

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Golden retrievers are supposed to be one of the best dogs around children and families. While not exactly small they are very easy to train and highly intelligent.

We just picked our pup up yesterday and he is absolutely gorgeous

View attachment 62156
Cute I had a Black retriever growing up and he was a great family pet great with us kids ect. The one and only thing is they don’t like their food being fucked with so it’s easy when they are eating just let them eat don’t try and take it off them and don’t let any kids go near it just let them have their food in peace. (Ps a pug in eating speed can do a retriever in 1.5 seconds flat and retrievers are fast as fuck lol) Give them a fresh butchers bone and yeah you may as well move over seas they will kill you if you even look at them. But no just be aware of that and they are great dogs. They love water so take them to the beach and if there is a muddy puddle in a park suck shit they are laying in it.

Last edited:

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree 100%
One of our 3 is a Cav. Great with kids but can be prone to dental and ear issues

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Jack Russell TBH. Some can be hyper, but other than that they are fairly low maintenance re hair, medical issues etc.

Smaller dogs eat less, take smaller craps, and physically more manageable and you don't have to upgrade to a bigger car to take them anywhere.

JRTs also have the heart of a larger dog when required, like George here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_(dog)

I think retrievers and labs are great with kids, just a bit bigger (depends on your backyard, lifestyle etc).