The target was always 2022

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the board first came in, they told us that we’ll be competitive by 2021.

However, the re-signings last year were all 2 year deals, which finish at the end of 2021. We only have 8 players signed after 2021:

- Elliott
- RFM
- Jackson
- Stimson
- Thompson
- Wakeham
- DWZ
- Cotric

Combined with the sacking of Pay, the board never had any intention of us being competitive next year, but rather bringing a new coach in 2021 to build a team for 2022.

It seems Barrett recognises this, and thus the 1 year signing of Green as experience in the halves, possibly to train our long-term half.

I’m not saying I agree or disagree with any decision, but just stating why some decisions are being made.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

However, the re-signings last year were all 2 year deals, which finish at the end of 2021. We only have 8 players signed after 2021:

- Elliott
- RFM
- Jackson
- Stimson
- Thompson
- Wakeham
- DWZ
- Cotric

Combined with the sacking of Pay, the board never had any intention of us being competitive next year, but rather bringing a new coach in 2021 to build a team for 2022.

It seems Barrett recognises this, and thus the 1 year signing of Green as experience in the halves, possibly to train our long-term half.

I’m not saying I agree or disagree with any decision, but just stating why some decisions are being made.
You say this like it's a good thing?
That list of 8 players locked in beyond next season if fucking frightening.
The club has struggled in recent years to attack quality players.

Given the uncertainty around the salary cap next season and possible reduction in squad numbers clubs are locking in the their good talent on long deals now.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
but how is the board going to make amends when they are not going to be there 2022 ?

3 years in charge and this the best strategy they come up with?

this is embarrassing
Did they promise 3 years ago to have us stone motherless last?
I must of missed that.
The club has been in a death spiral for some time now.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
but how is the board going to make amends when they are not going to be there 2022 ?

3 years in charge and this the best strategy they come up with?

this is embarrassing
I agree. It’s a stupid strategy, and makes them seem incompetent.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Given the uncertainty around the salary cap next season and possible reduction in squad numbers clubs are locking in the their good talent on long deals now.
Definitely didn’t mean it to be a good thing. I was just stating it how I see it.

It’s embarrassing how incompetent the board seems to be. I don’t have much faith in them to get much done for 2022.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did they promise 3 years ago to have us stone motherless last?
I must of missed that.
The club has been in a death spiral for some time now.
The board has constantly been trying to buy time. They constantly blamed the previous board, which was valid, but they haven’t done anything to make the situation better.

Much like Pay. He inherited a crap roster, but didn’t do much to improve it.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

- Elliott
- RFM
- Jackson
- Stimson
- Thompson
- Wakeham
- DWZ
- Cotric

Wish Jackson, Stimson and DWZ were off contract the end of this season...

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I don't think the target was always 2022, but since Barrett is coming I think it has now been shifted to 22. If my man pay was still there it would've been 21

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Look. I actually support the board in what they've been doing, and think we're definitely on the right track though clearly we've got some way to go until we're back where we truly belong as a club.

However, saying that the club never had any intention of being competitive next year is a tad silly. I think I can speak for all on here and say that our expectations are pretty low right now. We're hardly demanding top 4 finishes and a premiership in the next few years. All I personally want is for us to be competitive and showing that we can win games.

Being competitive is the MINIMUM requirement, so I highly doubt that the club is writing off next year already especially with Barrett coming in for his first year. He's not going to work miracles, there's no doubt about that. But at the same time I do think the club will be supporting him in the market as clearly we do have some $$ to spend.

Get people's dislike about the Green signing. If he didn't get injured then I think it would've been OK actually. However, I do expect a lot more new faces coming in and talented new faces for that matter. Let's hope the club can get this done.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Only said this two years ago.. there was just to much damage done and 2022 was always going to be the year we comeback.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
The roster was massively out of balance. You need to have 2 vets , 3 or 4 players at their peak, and 5 or so juniors in your 17. The rest get made of solid 1st graders. We have had to many vets , no juniors and definitely no one at their peak. Do this for 3 to 4 years and we are here now. We can't buy our way out of this, juniors and development is needed, can't buy stars have to recruit young potential, We have to develop and make them want to stay.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The board has constantly been trying to buy time. They constantly blamed the previous board, which was valid, but they haven’t done anything to make the situation better.

Much like Pay. He inherited a crap roster, but didn’t do much to improve it.
I think you should give them the benefit of the doubt until next years cap is spent. We should be no where near that limit yet, so there are still many signings to come.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know what to think at this point.. not one signing in the past 3 years has exceeded expectations.. if anything, everyone we sign end up finding career worst form.. I tried to be patient and I'll continue to be, but I'm very worried these people don't have a clue with what they are doing....

Titans managed to sign the 2 best off contract players next year in tino and fafita .. and we've managed to sign a home sick Pomey, a retirement home half, and a centre that hasn't played center at the elite level..

add to that this year's new recruits, Stimson, Britt and lafai, who all look like reserve graders.

Maybe it's our system.. because players come here and look worse.. I remember the days when we would take other teams discards and turn them into weapons.. long gone are those days... disheartened rant over..

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Only said this two years ago.. there was just to much damage done and 2022 was always going to be the year we comeback.
People on here want the new board to do miracles.fact Is the old board left the club in disarray.four or five years worth of putting out fires.i knew we were in trouble after 2014 grand final.i haven’t been to a game since then cause I could see we weren’t competitive.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So we should write off another season even though they had millions in cap space to spend to make the team competitive for next season? Then next year, they'll push back the timeframe again and say 2025 was always the target..

It's not that hard to make your team competitive in one season when you have a tonne of cap space. Look what happened in 2009 when Moore took over. We signed Kimmorley, Hannant, Morris, Ennis, Staggs, Eastwood etc and went from a bottom four team to finishing second in one year.

We play in a comp where half the teams make the finals each year but people keep making it seem like it's unrealistic to expect us to make the top 8 once in five seasons?

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People on here want the new board to do miracles.fact Is the old board left the club in disarray.four or five years worth of putting out fires.i knew we were in trouble after 2014 grand final.i haven’t been to a game since then cause I could see we weren’t competitive.
You can tell yourself that if you like but the club is becoming a joke. The previous board brought plenty of success and I’m sure if they had stayed would have found a way to make things work.
To write off another year is disastrous and how many more years of excuses before this board is just ineffective?

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score

The cattle currently at other clubs are not able to be locked in by us for 2022 until after November 2020. Expect big announcements early next year if not before, starting 2022. We are no different to most other Clubs as to who's signed already for 2022 and beyond. The anti poaching rules are the reason most Clubs look to extend major players while still under contract before any other club gets a chance to make an offer.