The suggest a set play 2011 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ok the title says it all. I couldn't find a thread like this so i thought i'd start one.

I'm bored with the continued suggest a winger/fullback/forward pack threads so lets be creative. You have these great players, how would you utilise them. I'll start.

The Rolling Castle
Knowing that Pritchard likes to attack on the wing at stages I'll call either him or Eastwood (when signed) the castles. They attack out wide and tie up the defenders bust the line/look for an offload. The Queens (fullback/wingers) Knight (centre) Bishop (halves) Pawn (winger ) all act as support players while the castles tie up or knock over defenders.

Pretty simple to start. Interested to see specific examples of how others would utilise our players. Put on your Moore/Bennet/Gould/Sheens/Smith etc masks and coach away. No need to argue players positions. For this thread if you name them in the play they are there and the play is about them specifically.

Ten minutes to go we're behind by 4. It's up to you coach what do we do?

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Wheel out Kimmorley.

The BEAR

ROAR talent
Reaction score
i hope this thread reaches 100 pages (provided, it's full of knowledgeable posts) ...

God only knows Moore needs a book on set plays!

M

mongoose

quick inside pass up the middle. fools them everytime

chipping to idris also has a 100% success rate.

Playing 'one out' also gives you extra metres and lowers your error rate due to less passing.

B4L

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Playing 'one out' also gives you extra metres and lowers your error rate due to less passing.
Playing "one out" is stupid you need to spread the ball around!

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just run the ball from Dummy-half through the defensive line and step the fullback. Works for me every time on the PS3

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score

I laffed.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
if the scores are level with a few seconds to play, instead of going for the field goal try to catch the defence unaware by going down the blind slide and rolling in a grubber to the winger

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Just run the ball from Dummy-half through the defensive line and step the fullback. Works for me every time on the PS3
The PS3-step ... Genius !!!

Best thread idea in ages btw ... :thumb:

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
It amazes me how some first grade sides run out of ideas and just hit the ball up.
The wings is where its at in the age of super fit players, looking for the overlap after creating confusion has worked for decades. We have failed to spread the ball at every opportunity and get it out fast.
If all else fails chips, grubbers and bombs create a 50/50 chance for an attacking team.
As Gus Gould says, the Rugby League Gods have smiled on them today, but its a game of chance and we have to keep creating chances.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
I reckon Moore should start playing ARL 96.

When someone makes a break, the whole team gets into the Mighty Ducks formation.

Worked every time.

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dummy to an inside runner rather than actually passing it. That would catch teams by surprise considering 3 out of the 5 plays were an inside ball this season.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Turning the ball back in

This is a genius play that is so complicated, that it is impossible to read.

Kevin Moore should really think about incorporating this.

• Man plays the ball
  • dummy-half pass to the halfback who runs a flat line, sidewards.
  • Halfback then turns the ball back in to a no-frills forward to make 5m.

View attachment 18186

S

Shermy

Just watch the every Tigers game this year. You will get a good 10 set plays out of them off scrums and down shortsides.

P

Paint.

Neways, I've got a good play:

When you're in the opposition 30, this almost guarantees success.

You get your lock (Stagg) to run into the opposition right centre, and while being tackled, attempt to drag the defender infield with you, at least 5 metres. This will ensure you have space on the blind side, and the centre will be playing marker. Ensure that it's not yet last tackle...out of dummy half, hooker (Ennis) would dummy right, to, say, halfback (Hodkinson), but in reality, passes it to his five-eighth (Preferably Roberts) who runs to the line, attracting a defender. When he gets to the line:

(A) He passes to PRitchard, who would atract two defenders, offload to Morris, who either runs through the gap himself, or attraacts the winger and passes to Goodwin, who's away
(B) He passes to Pritchard, who runs to the line slowly, before passing back to the 5/8 (wrap around) , which would create a 3-on-1 OR 3-on-2 overlap
(C) He feigns to pass to Pritchard, but instead runs at the line himself
(D) He throws a cut-out ball to Morris, who would have a 2-on-1, with Goodwin on his outside

Sort of got the idea from St Merge's set play, but meh

P

Paint.

Neways, I've got a good play:

When you're in the opposition 30, this almost guarantees success.

You get your lock (Stagg) to run into the opposition right centre, and while being tackled, attempt to drag the defender infield with you, at least 5 metres. This will ensure you have space on the blind side, and the centre will be playing marker. Ensure that it's not yet last tackle...out of dummy half, hooker (Ennis) would dummy right, to, say, halfback (Hodkinson), but in reality, passes it to his five-eighth (Preferably Roberts) who runs to the line, attracting a defender. When he gets to the line:

(A) He passes to PRitchard/Eastwood, who would atract two defenders, offload to Morris, who either runs through the gap himself, or attraacts the winger and passes to Goodwin, who's away
(B) He passes to Pritchard/Eastwood, who runs to the line slowly, before passing back to the 5/8 (wrap around) , which would create a 3-on-1 OR 3-on-2 overlap
(C) He feigns to pass to Pritchard/Eastwood, but instead runs at the line himself
(D) He throws a cut-out ball to Morris, who would have a 2-on-1, with Goodwin on his outside

Sort of got the idea from St Merge's set play, but meh

Status
Not open for further replies.