THE SALARY CAP

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This might not be a BULLDOGS discussion but this is very related to us at this particular moment in time.

Hear me out please this is very important.

If the salary cap is meant to keep the NRL competition even? Then why do we see a number of teams have higher caliber players across the park such as the OBVIOUS ROOSTERS and some teams like the Bulldogs have in reality maybe 2 to 3 players that "might" make it into another first grade team and also considering we hear that the Bulldogs have no money to spend on players.

This needs in my opinion an equivalent to a royal commission.

There need to be a full investigation on

1) the books for every team for the last 7 years

2) how to prevent a situation like the BULLDOGS are in now as its not really a competitive game when they are playing right now. Which is an embarrassing look for the NRL

3) how to put a sytem in place where every team has equal share of same calibre of players.

And what ever else you want to add.

WE ALSO NEED TO STOP BLAMING PAY AND MAKING YOUR SELF FEEL BETTER THAT YOU HAVE THE REASON WHY WE ATE NOT WINNING.

NO COACH COULD REALLY DO MORE WITH THIS TEAM. PAY IS ACTUALLY SHOWN SOME BRAINS OF LATE.

You can see some game plans in place.
The players have shown improvement in there resilience and not giving up mentally.

Imagine pay was coaching the roosters?

Roosters think they are a good team and Robinson thinks he is a good coach.

That is not true.
He has bought this roosters team.
Over last 3 years they have bought

KEARY
TADESCO
CRONK

WHICH is the reason why they WON not because of THE COACH

If we was a good coach then he would he able to have won it without buying those players.

All worth 1 million each on ability and experience
Don’t worry, people are freakin blind. Don’t bother. Trust me, don’t bother bro. I’m with ya and I hear ya.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I concur 100% regarding the roosters, but a simple argument regarding the Bulldogs recruitment and players we've had since winning the comp 2004, if we had uncle Nick or that team was a roosters team, do you think we/they would have lost any of those players? The answer is no, because most of those players left for money and big money!

Anasta, asatasi, shrek, Mason, sbw, barba and so on, all left for money, our team was raided (mostly by the roosters, uncle Nick knew he couldn't allow us to have that much talent) and we couldn't hold on to any of them, Thurston would have being also retained. The facts are thre roosters are able to keep players because players are well payed and teams in the comp know you can't compete with the roosters.
100%.. they still tecruit very well.. no onw in the league comes close..

Politis is also charmain of the NSW Cup.. there grubby fingers are all over receuitment managers to the lower grades..

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Simply remove the addition of tpa. The players tax records should also be handed in. The cap of 9.5 or 10mil is the max. Mel brisb roosters all have massive advantages with tpa. Players can earn what they like off the field and by handing in tax records the nrl can see who and where money is coming from. That's a start imo.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
He is a good coach no doubt. People on here were stating he won’t get a job again due to his tenure here. He is doing well for what he has at manly and I bet we wouldn’t be last if he was here.
Our only issue was giving him way too much power in retention and recruitment.
I think the power of the fan base was what got him sacked. Dib tried to appease the voting members to get reelected. It wasnt a football decision based on results.

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He is a good coach no doubt. People on here were stating he won’t get a job again due to his tenure here. He is doing well for what he has at manly and I bet we wouldn’t be last if he was here.
Our only issue was giving him way too much power in retention and recruitment.
He has a much better roster than ours. 2 hookers for a start. Jake Trobovich. And Dale Cherry-Evans was everywhere. Even the red head centre would walk into our side. They should be better than us

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I think the power of the fan base was what got him sacked. Dib tried to appease the voting members to get reelected. It wasnt a football decision based on results.
He was shit. His money ball style with no ability to develop players or better players. Barbs was the only player that improved and for one year.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard Cronk was offered the ceo role at Amazon, but he didn't want to take a pay cut.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard Cronk was offered the ceo role at Amazon, but he didn't want to take a pay cut.
No sarcasm please, he's earning less than our friend at the tigers Josh Reynolds! I couldn't believe it when I heard that bullshit, NRL administration is a disgrace! Oh, don't forget Mitchell Pearce had a Choice of staying also....

Pearce
Tedesco
Cronk

Roosters would still be under the cap! Bahahahahahaha, BAHAHHAHAHA!!!

NRL recruiting for the roosters!

Last edited:

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's our poor recruitment and retention. Roosters are very good at recruiting and managing their roster. They have let go of Pearce, Jennings, Fergusson, Maloney, Napa, Watson, Evans, Moa, etc

We had countless opportunities to buy a marquee player but decided to recruit useless duds like Woods and backend contracts.

Majority of that Roosters team that played last night were all young kids that came through the grades.... Cleal and Hasler didn't rate Mitchell.
Look I’m not a great fan of Trent Robinson because yes he’s had great rosters all his career. I will however give credit where it’s warranted & his coaching since around Origin last year has been exceptional.
Fans always point out the names the roosters have bought but fail to list the players they have let go. Apart from the Bulldogs no other club has lost as many players as the Roosters. It’s fact.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Our club has been badly managed since the salary cap scandal. 17 years later and we haven’t been able to find the right balance between talent scouting, lower grade development, retention, recruitment and roster management.

We have also shed a number of players and developed three world class franchise players in Thurston, SBW, and Barba. One left and two abandoned the club.

We have work to do.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Shit teams are shit, good teams are good, in all aspects of the game.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look all teams Rort the cap to a degree , depends how deep the pockets are : one thing that sticks to my mind was the Maloney and Moylan swap where Maloney stuffed up and mentioned the swap of tpa.

The advantage the roosters have is life after football they are connected and can set players up after retiring .

What you tend to forget is they like the storm have been cannabilising all the good juniors and put them in their system and when they come through they are cheaper than bought established players .
Look at their current side . What established players they bought
Teddy
Nagama (can’t spell his name and cheap )
Keary (who had falling out with rusty )
JWH ( relatively young at the time )
Hutchinson who would be on peanuts

I think that is it

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NRL should withhold the minimum wage equivalent from each teams top 30 players from the club grant. Then contract every player direct with the NRL.

With an additional $1m of the grant withheld per club that each team can use outside of their cap.
With players signing jointly with the club and the NRL. Thus allowing each team to sign one marquee player in effect.
This would help spread the very top end playing talent around the competition with that big sum making it hard to match for teams in their own cap.

A voluntary draft should also be introduced. Anyone off contract can join the draft if they choose. Any player signing a contract via a draft gets a 50% deduction on the teams cap. So a team can pay $500k to a player but it only counts as $250k on their cap.
Last place team gets first pick
Followed by the second last.
And so on up to say 9th place
Then back to the bottom again for a full run through the teams.
So all in all with a 17 team comp. 26 players on any given year can be picked up in a draft and give their club a 50% discount on their value on the cap.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This competition is set up so teams who are at the top with the best players stay there, it’s absolutely pathetic, there are not enough good players to go around. If the NRL chooses to, they will rig games to make certain teams with shit rosters look good, let’s wait and see what the dolphins results are going to be like in their inaugural year.

The only way this competition becomes fair is they cut teams out of the competition, let the clubs that can survive on their own buy and trade players as they see fit, increase the salary cap and let us have a proper competition where the best of the best are competing on a weekly basis, otherwise teams at the bottom of the ladder are going to keep struggling for years on end!

LSD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Look all teams Rort the cap to a degree , depends how deep the pockets are : one thing that sticks to my mind was the Maloney and Moylan swap where Maloney stuffed up and mentioned the swap of tpa.

The advantage the roosters have is life after football they are connected and can set players up after retiring .

What you tend to forget is they like the storm have been cannabilising all the good juniors and put them in their system and when they come through they are cheaper than bought established players .
Look at their current side . What established players they bought
Teddy
Nagama (can’t spell his name and cheap )
Keary (who had falling out with rusty )
JWH ( relatively young at the time )
Hutchinson who would be on peanuts

I think that is it
You could add to that list
Connor Watson
Angus Crichton
Paul Momirovski
Joseph Suaalii already identified as a future star

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could add to that list
Connor Watson
Angus Crichton
Paul Momirovski
Joseph Suaalii already identified as a future star
Watson and momorivoski debuted at the roosters , left and came back so they don’t count .
Suaalli whilst identified still debuted with them and could have been a flop and adds to my point that they cannibalise juniors ( tbh I don’t see anything to special on him yet )

But yes Chrichton I left out

Reactions: LSD