News The rule change set to transform the NRL kicking game forever

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see no real value in scrums any more tho. It's straight behind 2nd row anyway....and then we knock it on anyway trying to pick up the ball :(

They've COMPLETELY changed the history and tradition of the game. Fans can see it: why can't those on the gravy train!!!
It was for decades an intergral part of the game and still should be.
The bi
I see no real value in scrums any more tho. It's straight behind 2nd row anyway....and then we knock it on anyway trying to pick up the ball :(

They've COMPLETELY changed the history and tradition of the game. Fans can see it: why can't those on the gravy train!!!
Scrums were an integral part of the game and give a place for different size players in a team.
The obsession with speed and athleticism has made the game too fast for many players to cope with competitively once they make grade and want to hopefully move on to bigger things, gone are the days of Blocker Roaches, Paul Sironens, and even Tervy Mortimer if you want to succeed in the modern "fast" game you will need to be a Sonny Bill, etc those players that are not of the physical type to be competitive will now head to rugby where there is a place on a team for every shape and size and will be lost to the NRL.
Basically, they are devaluing and dumbing down the game and its future in the name of speed and the misconception of it being a better spectacle.

Last edited:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can they stop wasting everyone's time and just turn it into 9 on 9 already? That's clearly what they want.
Actually the simplest answer to the issue they are trying to address is to take away one player and go to 12v12. The issue is basically that players today are bigger faster stronger than they were 40 years ago, essentially making the field smaller.

They should return to the rules as they were 5+ years ago and change to 12 players. Which position gets dropped? Lock forward. Plenty of 5/8s these days are almost big enough to be a forward, or are talked about as potentially being a lock forward, or even play in both positions. Lewis, Gamble, Asiata, Watson, Peachey, Wighton, Hutchison, Schuster...

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welch for NRL CEO!
I have never been so disinterested in the game as I am now... and it is not simply that the 'Dogs suck... I always watched 3-4 games a week, watched the league shows, forums, buy some of the club's gear etc... now I can barely watch the 'Dogs game each round, I will watch Origin, and that is about it

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Gavin Badger

@Thebadge72

Can we please leave the game alone. The game is supposed to be a battle of attrition, a battle for field position and a battle to win the arm wrestle. That’s the game I love, two teams grinding it out, backing their defence and praying on an error, then we see the attacking flair
Quote Tweet

SMH Sport

@SMHsport
· 13h
EXCLUSIVE: The touch-finding kick has been a staple of the game for more than a century, but a mooted rule change could totally overhaul how players put boot to ball | @proshenks https://smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the-ru...nrl-kicking-game-forever-20210826-p58m6z.html

Fans, players and the media absolutely roasting the NRL about the proposed trial of new rules next weekend. Please NRL it has been a hard enough year without any more rule changes. Vlandys and his mob continue to pat themselves on the back with their INNOVATIVE approach to keeping our game fresh....what about taking it back to the game we fans know and love where we got tough uncompromising games and every side in the competition had a chance to make the semis. The competition has become a shadow of itself where we now have a yawning chasm between the top eight and bottom eight.

Rules are now more than ever open to interpretation and rorting and referees have become the mouthpiece for an agenda driven game where those who are considered the top liners are given massive leeway regarding what they can do in the game with complete protection.a la Mitchell who continually throws in grubby tactics causing injury to his opponents. Got away with the Brimson broken jaw and basically excused for the Manu one by simply being binned for ten and then being allowed to return to the field.

THEN we have those who are willing to excuse the behaviour because he didn't do it intentionally......don't care because others who didn't do it intentionally during the year on other occasions were not afforded the same defence by the media and were punished.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The way the game is going my young fella will probably end up playing soccer instead when he's old enough
Can't play that game any more. They have recently found that every time the ball hits a player in the head it does them damage.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have never been so disinterested in the game as I am now... and it is not simply that the 'Dogs suck... I always watched 3-4 games a week, watched the league shows, forums, buy some of the club's gear etc... now I can barely watch the 'Dogs game each round, I will watch Origin, and that is about it
Yep I used to watch every game & every tv show sometimes taping 2 shows & watching another when there was a time 3 were on. I only watch Dogs games now & a couple of shows a week. The NRL are giving people an excuse to walk away from the game. Once you lose them you almost never get them back!

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score

All the scrum is for now is to open up the field to entice an open attacking play off the back of it.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the scrum is for now is to open up the field to entice an open attacking play off the back of it.
But it's always been that way, plus it gave both sets of forwards a breather, plus it didn't guarantee the side feeding the ball won the contest... great concept. It's just too bad that those in charge are too focussed on their own agendas to see the game how it is supposed to be played.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Scrums were an integral part of the game and give a place for different size players in a team.
I heard someone say last night that the way the game is going with the changes continually being rolled out that it will soon be best suited to all players being of exactly the same shape and body type.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

What else annoys about scrums is the fact that ANYONE will pack in these days with the pseudo lock just connecting with his fingertips and a modest bend of the back with the second row so loosely bound that even a dose of gastro stop won't help them to bind tighter...Additionally the halfback or whoever is nominated to feed the scrum simply rolls it behind the legs of the front row..

Ironically ,last year they introduced on trial in round 20 , the rule that the forwards had to pack in to the scrum but obviously that fell by the wayside when it didn't suit their speed the game up agenda..The one relating to bunker review prior to kicker taking a conversion was adopted a shitty rule to say the least and one one that has shown to be a real rort on the game this year with the bunker and the referee stuffing it up on numerous occasions costing teams wins....The others as well have proven to be shall we say rather grey in their interpretation and implementation.

Backs banned from scrums under rules trialled for round 20

Backs will be banned from packing into scrums and the NRL Bunker will review tries while the goal kicker is preparing for a conversion attempt under experimental rules to be trialed in matches with no impact on the NRL finals.

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo announced on Tuesday that Thursday night's Broncos-Cowboys match and Sunday's Warriors-Manly clash would be used to pressure test possible rule changes for next season.

They include:

• Use of the "six-again" rule for 10-metre infringements
  • Handover for kicks into touch rather than a scrum
  • Nominated forwards only to pack in scrums
  • Change in the Bunker referral process to reduce stoppages
"It is clear the current process around scrums and the Bunker could potentially be better," Abdo said. "We are also looking at ways in which we can reduce stoppages without compromising the accuracy of the Bunker."

Scrums have long been the source of frustration for fans and many in the game, including ARLC chairman Peter V'landys, and former Penrith and England hooker Mike Stephenson last month told NRL.com they should be scrapped completely.

Front-row great Steve Roach was outraged that Sydney Roosters halfback Kyle Flanagan packed down as a prop in the round 9 match against North Queensland and V'landys recently suggested that credibility could be restored by banning backs from scrums.

The ARL Commission agrees and has approved the trialling of rules to ensure that occurs, with only players nominated as forwards on the team sheet 60 minutes before kick-off able to participate in scrums.

Interchange players can only pack into scrums if they have interchanged with a forward, with the referee and touch judges to monitor the players packing down.

If match officials detect that any player other than a nominated forward packs into the scrum, the referee will delay the feeding of the scrum and instruct the team to alternate positions, while the scrum clock continues to run.

If the scrum clock expires as a result, a full penalty will be awarded to the opposing team.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
What else annoys about scrums is the fact that ANYONE will pack in these days with the pseudo lock just connecting with his fingertips and a modest bend of the back with the second row so loosely bound that even a dose of gastro stop won't help them to bind tighter...Additionally the halfback or whoever is nominated to feed the scrum simply rolls it behind the legs of the front row..

Ironically ,last year they introduced on trial in round 20 , the rule that the forwards had to pack in to the scrum but obviously that fell by the wayside when it didn't suit their speed the game up agenda..The one relating to bunker review prior to kicker taking a conversion was adopted a shitty rule to say the least and one one that has shown to be a real rort on the game this year with the bunker and the referee stuffing it up on numerous occasions costing teams wins....The others as well have proven to be shall we say rather grey in their interpretation and implementation.

Backs banned from scrums under rules trialled for round 20

Backs will be banned from packing into scrums and the NRL Bunker will review tries while the goal kicker is preparing for a conversion attempt under experimental rules to be trialed in matches with no impact on the NRL finals.

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo announced on Tuesday that Thursday night's Broncos-Cowboys match and Sunday's Warriors-Manly clash would be used to pressure test possible rule changes for next season.

They include:

• Use of the "six-again" rule for 10-metre infringements
  • Handover for kicks into touch rather than a scrum
  • Nominated forwards only to pack in scrums
  • Change in the Bunker referral process to reduce stoppages
"It is clear the current process around scrums and the Bunker could potentially be better," Abdo said. "We are also looking at ways in which we can reduce stoppages without compromising the accuracy of the Bunker."

Scrums have long been the source of frustration for fans and many in the game, including ARLC chairman Peter V'landys, and former Penrith and England hooker Mike Stephenson last month told NRL.com they should be scrapped completely.

Front-row great Steve Roach was outraged that Sydney Roosters halfback Kyle Flanagan packed down as a prop in the round 9 match against North Queensland and V'landys recently suggested that credibility could be restored by banning backs from scrums.

The ARL Commission agrees and has approved the trialling of rules to ensure that occurs, with only players nominated as forwards on the team sheet 60 minutes before kick-off able to participate in scrums.

Interchange players can only pack into scrums if they have interchanged with a forward, with the referee and touch judges to monitor the players packing down.

If match officials detect that any player other than a nominated forward packs into the scrum, the referee will delay the feeding of the scrum and instruct the team to alternate positions, while the scrum clock continues to run.

If the scrum clock expires as a result, a full penalty will be awarded to the opposing team.
Halves don't put the ball in anymore do they? :grinning: