The reason why we are getting monstered

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He would be good, but not off contract until after next season.

These guys are the middle forwards off contract this year that I might consider, but most are very young. I'm looking for size as all our forwards are not Big.

Sharks:
Toby Rudolf 25yrs
6ft 3, 106kg. (Would be happy to snag him, would prefer if he had more size though)

Titans:
Jai Whitbread 23yrs
6ft 1, 107kg.

Manly:
Toafofoa Sipley 26yrs
6ft3, 120kg.

Storm:
Dale Finucane 29yrs
6ft 2, 102kg.

Aaron Pene 25yrs
6ft 3, 107kg.

Darren Schonig 25yrs
6ft 1, 112kg.

Max King 23yrs
6ft 2, 105kg.

Warriors:
Bunty Afoa
24yrs
6ft 2, 11kg.

Jackson Frei 23yrs
6ft 5, 105kg. (I'd have serious look at him)

Knights:
Josh King 25yrs
6ft 2, 105kg.

Cowboys:
Ben Condon 20yrs
6ft 5, 109kg.
(Currently playing edge, but I'd have serious look at him)

Wiremu Greig 21yrs - No Longer Available
6ft 4, 124kg.
(Just signed with Eels & played 3 games - I'm spewing because he looks the goods)

Eels:
David Hollis 20yrs

Samuel Hughes 20yrs
6ft 4, 111kg. (I'd have serious look at him)

Dragons:
Eddie Blacker 21yrs
6ft 5, 116kg. (I'd have serious look at him)

Roosters : (Roosters don't lose many)
Fletcher Baker (s/r)
6ft 4, 107kg.

Isaac Liu 29yrs
6ft 2, 108kg.

Tigers:
Thomas Mikaele 23yrs
6ft 3, 109kg.

I didn't include Leeson Ah Mau, Dunamis Lui or Isia Soliola as they are over 31 & I believe their best years are behind them.
I think a couple of those guys gone already but a great list.

I think Vaughan has a P/O for 2022.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
the reason we’re getting monstered is because nobody is playing to win

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He would be good, but not off contract until after next season.

These guys are the middle forwards off contract this year that I might consider, but most are very young. I'm looking for size as all our forwards are not Big.

Sharks:
Toby Rudolf 25yrs
6ft 3, 106kg. (Would be happy to snag him, would prefer if he had more size though)

Titans:
Jai Whitbread 23yrs
6ft 1, 107kg.

Manly:
Toafofoa Sipley 26yrs
6ft3, 120kg.

Storm:
Dale Finucane 29yrs
6ft 2, 102kg.

Aaron Pene 25yrs
6ft 3, 107kg.

Darren Schonig 25yrs
6ft 1, 112kg.

Max King 23yrs
6ft 2, 105kg.

Warriors:
Bunty Afoa
24yrs
6ft 2, 11kg.

Jackson Frei 23yrs

Knights:
Josh King 25yrs
6ft 2, 105kg.

Cowboys:
Ben Condon 20yrs
6ft 5, 109kg.
(Currently playing edge, but I'd have serious look at him)

Wiremu Greig 21yrs - No Longer Available
6ft 4, 124kg.
(Just signed with Eels & played 3 games - I'm spewing because he looks the goods)

Eels:
David Hollis 20yrs

Samuel Hughes 20yrs
6ft 4, 111kg. (I'd have serious look at him)

Dragons:
Eddie Blacker 21yrs
6ft 5, 116kg. (I'd have serious look at him)

Roosters : (Roosters don't lose many)
Fletcher Baker (s/r)
6ft 4, 107kg.

Isaac Liu 29yrs
6ft 2, 108kg.

Tigers:
Thomas Mikaele 23yrs
6ft 3, 109kg.

I didn't include Leeson Ah Mau, Dunamis Lui or Isia Soliola as they are over 31 & I believe their best years are behind them.
Eddie Blacker was a cheap option that would have been perfect. Unfortunately Panthers have him now, was a swap deal with Billy Burns

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a couple of those guys gone already but a great list.

I think Vaughan has a P/O for 2022.
You're right with the player option for 2022, I just checked that.

Paul Vaughan
30 yrs (23/4/91)
6ft 4, 110kg

I most certainly have a good crack at getting him on board next year as he is probably the best option available for what we are lacking.

He can still live down in the Illawarra & car pool up with Baz.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You're right with the player option for 2022, I just checked that.

Paul Vaughan
30 yrs (23/4/91)
6ft 4, 110kg

I most certainly have a good crack at getting him on board next year as he is probably the best option available for what we are lacking.

He can still live down in the Illawarra & car pool up with Baz.
And he can get the coach's coffee as well :grinning:

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And he can get the coach's coffee as well :grinning:
I just had a search for other Props with an option in their favour for 2022 with the ability to open discussions with us to come over in 2022.

Herman Ese'ese - GLD Coast
6ft 1, 107kg - 26yrs
D.O.B 7/9/94
Very similar in size & body shape to what we have, but has had some good stints in the past & must be filthy sitting mostly in reserve grade. He would be in my discussions.

Jordan McLean- Nth Qld
6ft 5, 118kg - 29 years
D.O.B 10/8/91
Height & weight are what we need, but with big wraps on him in the past he hasn't quite lived up to them.
Will be 30 at the start of the 2022 season which is prime for a Prop and still has 3 good years left. I think he needs a change of scenery to reignite his career and with minimal options in his position available to us next year he would certainly be in my top 3 targets.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read the post. It involves simple dummy half running. A proven formula for struggling sides to play, it’s simple footy in behind the ruck. Saints won a comp of this in 2010. Was a simple plan of dummy half running, then when defensive side was tired later in game play some footy. How can forwards struggle if you limit there involvement in overall game. They’ll have more energy to defend.
A better kicking game would help, it would tire the opposition forwards and keep ours fresher. I can't ever see Flanno delivering the kicking game we need. In fact we have had the worst kicking game of all clubs for a number of years now.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A better kicking game would help, it would tire the opposition forwards and keep ours fresher. I can't ever see Flanno delivering the kicking game we need. In fact we have had the worst kicking game of all clubs for a number of years now.
That’s my point though. We don’t have it. So I think with our talent available, all we can really do is play in behind the ruck. No point playing to our edges, we can’t even string a fluent sweep play to hit our wingers. I watch good junior sides manufacture the sweep play perfectly. It’s boring footy but what else can we do.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read the post. It involves simple dummy half running. A proven formula for struggling sides to play, it’s simple footy in behind the ruck. Saints won a comp of this in 2010. Was a simple plan of dummy half running, then when defensive side was tired later in game play some footy. How can forwards struggle if you limit there involvement in overall game. They’ll have more energy to defend.
Because our forwards always have to defend more than other teams. Our dummy halves playing like you said would still drop the ball or f..k up in some way.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious we lack firepower in the forwards

To compensate for that our backs trying to make too many hard yards and making way too many tackles, usually against backrowers that are twice there size and just as fast - resulting in them being to gassed to attack.

Without the go forward the opposition defence is in our face the entire game completely stifling our attack - have you noticed our games compared to others and how little space there is. When we have the ball its like the field shrinks!!

Our spine players are either too inexperienced or just not good enough to adapt our play through throughout the game.

Our kicking game is really ineffective - bombs not high enough for chasers, the spiral or floating kick not even attempted, no effective attacking kicks in the 20m, very little pressure being applied such as trapping teams in corners or forcing line drop outs - not even a cross field kick against rushing defences!

To compound this the defence is playing against a halfback that seems incapable of taking on the line or making a 'heads-up' play - seeing an opportunity and capitalising on it for eg creating an extra man or kicking behind the line.

We also don't have any evasive steppers in the team that can wrong foot defenders and create opportunities for support players!

The list is long - as many have said we desperately need a gun hooker and dominant athletic forward (or 2) - Burton (albeit one player) fixes many of the other issues.

With each game it is looking more likely that Burton replaces Flanagan (he can do everything better) and Averillo becomes the 6 - In a team getting smashed each week I have liked the small improvements in Averillo's game and with Burton, a good No. 9 and more go forward I think his class will shine through.
Good post. wonder how av would go at half as Burton has stated 6 is his favoured position.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I just had a search for other Props with an option in their favour for 2022 with the ability to open discussions with us to come over in 2022.

Herman Ese'ese - GLD Coast
6ft 1, 107kg - 26yrs
D.O.B 7/9/94
Very similar in size & body shape to what we have, but has had some good stints in the past & must be filthy sitting mostly in reserve grade. He would be in my discussions.

Jordan McLean- Nth Qld
6ft 5, 118kg - 29 years
D.O.B 10/8/91
Height & weight are what we need, but with big wraps on him in the past he hasn't quite lived up to them.
Will be 30 at the start of the 2022 season which is prime for a Prop and still has 3 good years left. I think he needs a change of scenery to reignite his career and with minimal options in his position available to us next year he would certainly be in my top 3 targets.
I'm thinking Vaughan :grinning:

We need someone who is reliable and steady and who puts in every game and is a leader.

We can judge him and get in touch with Baz and Warburton on Monday if we like what we see from him on the weekend :grinning:

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking Vaughan :grinning:

We need someone who is reliable and steady and who puts in every game and is a leader.

We can judge him and get in touch with Baz and Warburton on Monday if we like what we see from him on the weekend :grinning:
I'm not sure if I want him to play too well this Sunday though.

Maybe good if he's the best player on a beaten team.

If he really comes out and has a huge game, it could mean that he has had contact with Baz behind the scenes and puts on a performance trying to impress Baz with a view to a contract with us next year.

I'd be happy with that.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I want him to play too well this Sunday though.

Maybe good if he's the best player on a beaten team.

If he really comes out and has a huge game, it could mean that he has had contact with Baz behind the scenes and puts on a performance trying to impress Baz with a view to a contract with us next year.

I'd be happy with that.
Yes as long as he lets in a few tries that will be fine :grinning:

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
We were waiting for Thompson to come back then lost Hethrington, we need both.