Opinion The R Smith Centre move/experiment

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Me too mate. I just think he can’t win here most of the time
Its fair to say most people like dean.
But after the first 2 seasons he has not done anything to give anyone any hope he could take a side to a premiership.
How many years do u hold someones hand if they are out of there depth ?

I personally think this year will be no different than last year, so then what natboy, seen the rest of us get jumped on by u if we question what hes doing. Where 2 and 7 do we just keep going like plodders till these young guys get 250 first grade games under there belt and they suddenly become super stars.
Justin holbrook doesnt have the cattle either. What do u do if the titans improve in one off season more than dean has improved us in 3 years. We have to remove him dont we ?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Its fair to say most people like dean.
But after the first 2 seasons he has not done anything to give anyone any hope he could take a side to a premiership.
How many years do u hold someones hand if they are out of there depth ?

I personally think this year will be no different than last year, so then what natboy, seen the rest of us get jumped on by u if we question what hes doing. Where 2 and 7 do we just keep going like plodders till these young guys get 250 first grade games under there belt and they suddenly become super stars.
Justin holbrook doesnt have the cattle either. What do u do if the titans improve in one off season more than dean has improved us in 3 years. We have to remove him dont we ?
Why do you think other coaches didn’t want to come near us?
Let’s see how Holbrook goes. He doesn’t have salary cap restrictions to deal with but their side is weaker than ours

yvonne

New Pup
Reaction score
Yeh I'm not sure either whether I would rather him on the wing or in the centres. I know he would be in my team though. I feel like we have a few good players on the wing to choose from. Meaney is a good player with the football brains and all the fundamentals. Averillo seems to be a bit of a x -factor type player. And Okunbor is big and tall and can bringthe ball back the strongest out of our wingers. So if Reimis goes on the wing 2 of those guys will miss out.

But do we put him in the left centre position because a lot of people are saying how good Harper is. And he is a genuine centre. Should he be given more time than 2 trials?

It's a hard decision
Not sure why Smith was taken off the wing to trial as centre when there is a centre capable of keeping that position

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not sure why Smith was taken off the wing to trial as centre when there is a centre capable of keeping that position

we don’t have a first grade standard centre.

we have a few wingers so we could chance our hand with smith in the centres.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
we don’t have a first grade standard centre.
IMHO Harper is absolutely an NRL standard centre, with an uptrend trend. He’ll get his chances, he just has to take them.

we have a few wingers so we could chance our hand with smith in the centres.
RSmith actually asked to be given a shot at playing centre, he has most of the necessary skills and the size to make it work. Passing is where I would want to see more from him.

Go Dogs

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do you think other coaches didn’t want to come near us?
Let’s see how Holbrook goes. He doesn’t have salary cap restrictions to deal with but their side is weaker than ours
Pay the coaches what des was on, and a few will come out of the wood work.
And we didnt miss out on api k and a few others due to salary cap restraint. They wanted to play under them coaches and attacking structures, not pays and canterburys.
But watching what holbrook can do as coach now he has a much weaker team will be interesting, and to me a defining point on weather pay gets sacked or not.

Still natboy if where 2 wins and 7 losses again, do u sack him or stick with him, your personal opinion what would u do?
He has to start better or his gone in my opinion.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
And we didnt miss out on api k and a few others due to salary cap restraint. They wanted to play under them coaches and attacking structures, not pays and canterburys.
But watching what holbrook can do as coach now he has a much weaker team will be interesting, and to me a defining point on weather pay gets sacked or not.

Still natboy if where 2 wins and 7 losses again, do u sack him or stick with him, your personal opinion what would u do?
You really want to pay a coach $1m again? And give the same power as Des had? And end up in the same crater we did?
Thankfully, despite your offers to be CEO we won't be taking that advice.

Api had NOTHING to do with Pay and his apparent lack of 'structures' - he was keen to come until Barrett got appointed as assistant coach at the Panthers and came after him. They were mates from their time at Manly so Api liked that and the Panthers sweetened the deal by $100k.
Sensibly our board did not get into a bidding war - Api isn't worth it - few are.

Seems you have an axe to grind with Pay. Didn't you claim to play under him once or something? What's your real beef?
I cannot see Pay getting sacked (mid-season). He might not have his contracted renewed for 2021, but that's different - if there's a compelling reason for an alternative - which right now there is not.

Why would Holbrook's performance at the Titans have anything to do with Pay? You're suggesting that the Bulldogs might sack Pay if Holbrook goes OK and then try to poach Holbrook from the Titans in his first year? Won't happen.

I'll let Natboy answer the questions you've posed.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

I’d like to see him get a chance to coach with a full salary cap but if we lose every game he won’t be renewed. Who would you replace him with?