Opinion The R Smith Centre move/experiment

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think it's risky moving one of the best finishers and wingers in the comp to a position he doesn't seem suited to or look comfortable playing..

I'd rather see Harper or Averillo in the centres and Reimis on the wing.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Like the look of that spine with Lewis over Cogger to make up for Wakehams defence if necessary.

But Pay is a conservative coach so I wouldn't be putting any money on it.
to be fair I don't think Wakeham is a worse defender than Cogger.. I mean yeah there was that miss yesterday which you could say was his fault, but generally he is not bad for his size

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think it's risky moving one of the best finishers and wingers in the comp to a position he doesn't seem suited to or look comfortable playing..

I'd rather see Harper or Averillo in the centres and Reimis on the wing.
He's said in a few interviews over the last couple of years that centre is his best position. It's up to him to prove it. He's shown that he's pretty hard to stop on the wing. If he can carry that into the centre position where he'll get more ball it might not be a bad thing. And the worst case scenario is that he doesn't go well and he's forced back out to the wing.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not sold on Reimis Smith as a centre. He's a finisher not a creator.
I like him on the wing. Think it’s his strongest position.!!

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Reimis experiment isn't working so far but it's hard for any centre to shine if they're getting service from our halves. Harper looks to have better natural involvement in games than Reimis.

Sue

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I havent had a chance to watch any of the trial games, though its been mentioned that Smith has been moved/trialled at right centre?

I presume Hoppa has moved to left centre?
How has Hoppa been at left centre in the trials? I remember Hoppa playing left centre at the eels and he was terrible there, and looked uncomfortable.

Hoppa was excellent at right centre for us last year and how has he transitioned to the left side now?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I havent had a chance to watch any of the trial games, though its been mentioned that Smith has been moved/trialled at right centre?

I presume Hoppa has moved to left centre?
How has Hoppa been at left centre in the trials? I remember Hoppa playing left centre at the eels and he was terrible there, and looked uncomfortable.

Hoppa was excellent at right centre for us last year and how has he transitioned to the left side now?
Smith played left centre, Hoppa at fullback with no time in either centre position

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Reimis experiment isn't working so far but it's hard for any centre to shine if they're getting service from our halves. Harper looks to have better natural involvement in games than Reimis.
It’s all so we can fit Okunbor in on the wing which I think is a must.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's a shame Smith wasn't playing wing in the trials, I'd like to see how he and Averillo would go as a pair but with Jake at Centre. Jake moves a little bit like James Roberts I think.. obviously not as fast as Roberts, but who is? lol

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
His speed seems almost nullified at centre and he isn't strong enough yet to have a real impact there. I would prefer to see him on the wing where he can take advantage of the space.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
His speed seems almost nullified at centre and he isn't strong enough yet to have a real impact there. I would prefer to see him on the wing where he can take advantage of the space.
He doesn't have the quick feet of a centre, much better running onto the ball at pace as a winger and going the distance.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need to see more of Remis in the centres in proper first grade games to judge. As far as trials go and as a comparison Harpers efforts, work rate and enthusiasm were much higher. Harper looked way more wiling to roll the sleeves up and do the dirty work.
Remis has the skill thou. Let’s see how it plays out.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kind of reminds me of inu being moved to centre we didn't see the best of him in that position. Don't move someone that's doing well in that position simple as that.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Kind of reminds me of inu being moved to centre we didn't see the best of him in that position. Don't move someone that's doing well in that position simple as that.
Inu was one of the most frustrating players I've ever seen put on a dog's Jersey. Immensely talented but just too lazy

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He's said in a few interviews over the last couple of years that centre is his best position. It's up to him to prove it. He's shown that he's pretty hard to stop on the wing. If he can carry that into the centre position where he'll get more ball it might not be a bad thing. And the worst case scenario is that he doesn't go well and he's forced back out to the wing.
Yeah Gagai says his best position is centre but everyone knows that he is better on the wing.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Averillo is too small for Centre, dude is a talent but needs to fill out

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah Gagai says his best position is centre but everyone knows that he is better on the wing.
We won't know until he's had a chance to either show what he can do there or prove he's not going to excel. Gagai and Smith aren't the same player so there's no point using one to rule out the possibility that the other will succeed.

I'm sure that Pay isn't going to be throwing his coaching career away to keep Smith happy. If he hasn't shown ability at centre Pay will select him on the wing.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’d rather Harper, who is a long time centre.
Remis, would be fine if we had no centres who were ready, but we do.
I know Remis is keen to play one in but I’m not willing to keep him happy at the expense of the team.

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remis is athletically and technically our most gifted player. with ball in hand.
Makes sense moving him to centre which should get him more touches of the ball. Whether his D holds up is my only question.