• Same same

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
In my opinion, the Bulldogs v Cowboys match tonight was the worst match (quality-wise) that I've seen in recent memory. I must say, I'm not as psyched these days to watch a game of League. Sometimes it just bores me to hell and back.

The Tigers v Dragons match tonight was awesome, but the 2nd game was the complete opposite.

What do you think? Has the quality of League deteriorated in the last couple of years? Has it hit new heights? Are players overcoached/undercoached?

Discuss, and give reasons for your opinion.

UnderCoverBrother

Kennel Established
Reaction score
In my opinion, the Bulldogs v Cowboys match tonight was the worst match (quality-wise) that I've seen in recent memory. I must say, I'm not as psyched these days to watch a game of League. Sometimes it just bores me to hell and back.

The Tigers v Dragons match tonight was awesome, but the 2nd game was the complete opposite.

What do you think? Has the quality of League deteriorated in the last couple of years? Has it hit new heights? Are players overcoached/undercoached?

Discuss, and give reasons for your opinion.

Slippery good question, All I can say is the crowed at the bulldogs game was poor, I have seen NYC/Park football matches more lively then that. very disappointing. Congr8s on the win, I don't think either side played to great, but a win is a win. We really missed Matt Scott.

CB1935

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The funniest was hearing Tim Gilbert several times saying "high quality game". At least if you're going to use that marketing line, the people have to be convinced of it. Saying one thing, while people are seeing another thing - makes Gilbert sound like a tool! The only person he convinced, was himself and his clueless sidekick Wally Lewis. Gee they are both terrible in commentary!

Q-Tip

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dogs game was quite crap tbh. Both teams played poorly and tbh if I was a neutral supporter I probably would've turned off the tv before halftime.

In terms of quality of games across the league I agree that it has deteriorated this year. I find myself watching less games each week maybe 1 or 2. Some weeks I only watch bulldogs games. But occasionally there are some good games (e.g. Dragons v wests tonight)

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The quality of League is getting better in my opinion, the crowd figures are showing that. Tonights game was just a dud and didnt seem all to appealing, even though i was there ;)

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the 'Dragons Effect'. They won the comp of playing boring football and now every team has taken that approach.

UnderCoverBrother

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I watch every game, and every footy related show, I watch some shows that you wouldn't know exist hahaha. Although super coach/fantasy kind of excites me to watch them. ahahaha.

~stacie

Michael Ennis ♥
Reaction score
Personally, I think the standard of the NRL is quite poor atm. I'm not really sure why, but I think it definitely has deteriorated. The amount of games that are just so boring to watch. And plus, considering how poorly we've been playing, we're still with a chance of making the 8. That is quite a good indicator of the standard of the league right now.

Q-Tip

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also a reason why I've possibly had less interest in league as a whole has been the past two crapola years for the bulldogs. I guess it depresses me and gives me a CBF attitude towards watching other teams play.

CB1935

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Personally, I think the standard of the NRL is quite poor atm. I'm not really sure why, but I think it definitely has deteriorated. The amount of games that are just so boring to watch. And plus, considering how poorly we've been playing, we're still with a chance of making the 8. That is quite a good indicator of the standard of the league right now.
The 7th/8th positions are usually ones to just scrape through. They are not usually the team with much threat. Except for the once-in-a-blue-moon season e.g. 2009.

Positions 1-7 (including Tigers) this year are contenders IMO. They are strong teams. Storm, Broncs, Eagles. Saints if they get out of their rot. Cowboys when Thurston returns. Warriors, Tigers - attacking machines.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They were two completely different sports.

The Cowboys didn't even turn up tonight and we only put 14 on them. Although last weeks game with us and the Roosters was even worse than tonight IMO. At least tonight there were some big hits and some good footy played by us at times.

But yes, the standard in our game was woeful and the standard in the Saints/Tigers game was great. Our game had no intensity whatsoever. None of our games do. If there is intensity in the form of a big hit etc, it lasts about two plays before our team switches off completely.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
And sorry, more to the question of the thread, the quality in terms of teams competing most weeks and limiting constant blowouts and inconsistent form reversals has improved greatly.

Teams defend a lot better these days and generally compete harder. You don;t see the soft tries game in game out that you used to.

But at the same time, the lack of attacking creativity or coaching it into players and teams is disgraceful. Nearly every team plays the same way, does the same things and is easy to read. It's pathetic and boring and is the main reason why you, and I, and many others want to switch off more and more and only watch a few, selected games and not every game like we used to.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
i reckon once the cap raises, the more quality players will stay in the comp instead of going to esl, union or aussie rules

this will help raise the quality reasonably more, imo

it won't stop the game being coached the way it does really, but it should lift in quality, with more quality players staying for a better payday under the new tv deal, instead of leaving the NRL for more cash

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
I have been saying for ages that the standard is getting worse by the year. Number of reasons; Bennetts influence on boring style play with other teams trying to copy making attack less attractive; some Generation Y players from what I hear are very hard to coach.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its been going down for years mate!

These players are coming so damn robotic, its not even funny. There told to play like machines, rather than whats in front of them. ****s me to tears sometimes. They just run through the motions, and it really kills the game

P

Paint.

IMO if Vossy or Rabs was commentating the game, it would've been much more exciting. Gilbert just drained all of the excitement out of the game... made a low voice comment once every 30 secs...

UnderCoverBrother

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Gilbert was off par, but its not his usual job so ill cut him some slack, I remember him messing up players names quiet abit and at one stage Pritchard took a hit up, played the ball and took another hit up after playing the ball (think about it) lol....pretty amazing if you ask me lol.

Almobro

Gunner
Reaction score
It's been getting worse over the years and as stated above coaches copying Bennet's style of play of boring football.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
eh i found the dragons v tigers game more of a bore, guess having the ads in there doesn't help. i think it's the same just depends who's playing

Status
Not open for further replies.