The Players We've lost: Critical Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

scot

I'll unleash these on you
Reaction score
I am so tired of hearing about how bad the Dogs are at letting top players go. So I am going to critically analyse each significant player we've lost and the influencing factors, and then we can debate over time how much we've really lost.

Steven Price - Hate to say it, but the move to NZ probably extended his career and good form. This is the hardest one to call as far as I'm concerned, so I will say Yes we have missed him.

Jonathan Thurston? I think the move out of Sydney and back home was what he needed. I don't believe we were going to get his best football from him. We did have 2 inconsistent years from him, even if injury did aid the process. I definitly don't believe he would have won 2 dally m's with the Dogs. We probably had no choice here despite the rantings from a certain former Dog who hosts a radio show, that Thurston was desperate to stay. Also, the club had re-signed Sherwin when he was considered the best halfback after Andrew Johns, so the club had to go with the 'devil they knew then the one they didn't' so to speak in this situation, and at the time Anasta had also been in strong form.

Have we missed him? we lament what he is doing elsewhere, but we can't be sure it would have happened for us, and I don't believe the coaching staff are responsible for this inibility to get the best out of him.

Ben Harris? hahaha, I'm surprised he hasn't attracted the same level of preparation of fan abuse that we've been organising for Willie. That was a no win situation with a selfish young men. Selfish because when he left the injury toll was kicking in. He was asked to stay for a month to help the club through a rough period, his English club had agreed, but no, that was too much for him.

Braith Anasta? A change was what he needed. We weren't going to get his best from him. That is not a club fault or even his fault. A fit Holdsworth or Maitua in No 6 is as strong as Anasta at his best. Have we missed him? Same answer for Thurston.

Roy Asotasi? Yes. This was the major mistake and I don't even need to go into why, especially when you consider that O'Meley was asking for a release at the time the club were in negotiations with Asotasi.

Mark O'Meley? I think we have gotten his best years from him. Good luck with the retirement fund. I certainly don't begrudge him but I think he will struggle to get back into the rep teams, and he is possibly getting too slow for the modern game. Will we miss him? we would have missed his leadership with No Mason now, but I think he was becoming a weak link which will be exposed in rd 4.

Nate Myles? Yes. Should have somehow kept him

Brent Sherwin? we've had his best. No

Mason? hahahahahahaha, oh hindsight is a wonderful thing...Asotasi, Myles and possibly Anasta would still be in blue and white...Will we miss him? Time will tell...I hope not...we will miss his presence at times next year, so we need Cleal, Williams or Tsoulos to stand up and take this role. Armit is not fot this role.

So, by this logic, the club really only misses Pricey, Asotasi and Myles...and as stated in this post, hindsight is a wonderful thing in relation to Asotasi and Myles.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Disagree with thurston and Myles tbh.
Thurston = huge loss
Myles = not worth the $ his on

scot

Reaction score
(Part I left out)

At the time alot of this was being planned, Mason had won the Clive Churchill and was just after SBW the fan favourite. The club could not reasonably consider letting its biggest fish leave, even if Asotasi was clearly becoming the better player.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our biggest problem was not keeping 1 prop out of Price, Asotasi and Omeley. That led to playing Mason in prop where hes not suited and not the best. When we had Mason he should have played in the 2nd row.

Our depth in the second row dept, meant we should have let Maitua go if cash was a problem and kept one of Asotasi, Price, Omeley.
Even now we have plenty of good 2nd rowers and no proven props

scot

Reaction score
Agreed. The current lack of a prop now has changed my opinion about 08. When the players were talking about new ideas for 08 I thought that with Sullivan in the box seat we'd be the best squad in the NRL and would role the title. Now, we'll be in the 8, and be playing better football, but that title shot may be a year off. The optimism in PAtten and Folkes makes me feel good about 08 though.

'Night all

W

Willie Talau'd

Our biggest problem was not keeping 1 prop out of Price, Asotasi and Omeley. That led to playing Mason in prop where hes not suited and not the best. When we had Mason he should have played in the 2nd row.

Our depth in the second row dept, meant we should have let Maitua go if cash was a problem and kept one of Asotasi, Price, Omeley.
Even now we have plenty of good 2nd rowers and no proven props
Omeley LOL, that guy has been over the hill since 05
Asotasi and Price I <3.
The two above are the only two I reckon we should have kept and I am pissed off about leaving.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Omeley LOL, that guy has been over the hill since 05
Asotasi and Price I <3.
The two above are the only two I reckon we should have kept and I am pissed off about leaving.
Asotasi and Price obviously over Omeley, but Omeley still infront of our current props

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robert Worsley and Justin Tsoulos will both do well for us this year.

Worsley has the potential to make an impact and will improve with every game.

If Tsoulos gets match fitness he will be one of our leading yard makers.

RAMBO

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Our biggest loss would have to be Asotasi IMO

rui_a

Waterboy
Reaction score
without a doubt asotasi, his workrate is incredible and also the minor deatail that his the best forward in the game!

Mighty_Matt

Waterboy
Reaction score
Yeah I say Asotasi is the biggest loss.....in hindsight I think the off field issues we have suffered in teh past may have contributed to Price leaving. anyway you look at it he was a straighty one eighty (which is not a bad thing) and you would guess that all the crap that has gone on, like the way mason has conduxted himself recently must have been happening for years. As someone earlier said Price has probably flourished in the new environment and helped him add some extra longevity. Asotasi seems to get better with age....and he is still young!!! would have loved him still in blue and white, he is all you want ina front rower. Meter Eater, hard hitting, fit and versatile, wears teh club gear! and doesnt do or say anything stupid in the public arena!

P

Promiscuous

Lol.

We should have kept Myles? Your nuts. Worst footballer ever. haha

K

kennyy

Pfft u 15yr old. Myles is an awesome player, his defense is good and hes a smart footballer, what have u done?

P

Promiscuous

Smart? He would want to be with a head the size of his.

edit: btw love your quotes. haha

TOOL

Lt. Col. Speirs
Reaction score
Should have kept:

Price (would have loved for him to be a one-club man - either way, I hope he gets a life-long job with the club).
Asotasi (one of the best props in the world)
Thurston (would have played in the halves with Shifty - would have improved Shifty's game tenfold)

Goodbye:

Myles
Mason
O'Meley
Anasta

Fict|on.x

akimbo^assassin
Reaction score
Should have kept:

Price (would have loved for him to be a one-club man - either way, I hope he gets a life-long job with the club).
Asotasi (one of the best props in the world)
Thurston (would have played in the halves with Shifty - would have improved Shifty's game tenfold)

Goodbye:

Myles
Mason
O'Meley
Anasta
yep
this guy knows what he is talking about

sherwinisagun

bulldog member '07
Reaction score
I sincerely wish that we had kept asotasi. He had the heart and soul of the club. A true bulldog IMO

pha_t0ny

respect my authorotahhh!
Reaction score
why does everyone say mark my words? enough allready

Status
Not open for further replies.